E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > lights flickering, then car died ???

05-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
blackbeast06
adrenergic stimulation
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4cs San Marino Blue

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
lights flickering, then car died ???

So I encountered an electrical problem on my '06 325i the other day. I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden my headlights started cutting in and out and all my warning lights started coming on in the dash. Then the engine power started cutting in and out several times followed by a complete stall and power outage for about ten seconds as I coasted down the high way. I pulled off to the side and tried to start the car but it would not start (lights were still on so I know the battery was not completely drained). A passer stopped and tried to jump me but the car would not even turn over. I waited fifteen minutes and tried to start the car and if fired right up and drove another 30 min home without a problem. Took it up to the stealership the next day and they said that that battery failed the load test and recommended changing the battery and going from there ($395). I said no way I will change it myself. When I pulled the battery out the indicator light was green saying that the battery is good. Took it to autozone for a load test and passed with flying colors. Did I the dealer try to rip me or can a battery pass one load test and fail another? I am thinking there is some kind of electrical short and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

[IMG]m4 by senntera, on Flickr[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
chazzz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Chrysler 300S

If it's an original battery (since 2006), it's very likely that you need a new battery. BMW cars are very "sensitive" to voltage drop and cause some kind of weird - like "Christmas lights" on the dashboard, light flickering, etc.

$395 is probably about "right" price. It's for a new battery, battery registration, and labor.

CURRENT - 2018 Chrysler 300S, Crystal Granite Metallic.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
check your local independent bmw shops. my battery is about due and they quoted me $230+tax for battery change + registration.

kent is kind of close, the shop is in N. Ridgeville that quoted me that price.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
blackbeast06
adrenergic stimulation
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4cs San Marino Blue

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzz View Post
If it's an original battery (since 2006), it's very likely that you need a new battery. BMW cars are very "sensitive" to voltage drop and cause some kind of weird - like "Christmas lights" on the dashboard, light flickering, etc.

$395 is probably about "right" price. It's for a new battery, battery registration, and labor.
You would think that if the battery is bad that the indicator light on the battery would not be green and that it would fail a load test correct? I know that the the average battery life would be done after this amount of time but light and test tell me otherwise. Well I think I might just change the battery to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
check your local independent bmw shops. my battery is about due and they quoted me $230+tax for battery change + registration.

kent is kind of close, the shop is in N. Ridgeville that quoted me that price.
My friend referred me to a place in Twinsburg and says they are good, thanks for the info. I did purchase an Energizer from Sam's Club.

[IMG]m4 by senntera, on Flickr[/IMG]
Appreciate 0