E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Windshield creaks - what to do?

05-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Windshield creaks - what to do?

I've isolated a creak coming from the passenger side A-pillar as coming from my windshield, which is not the OE windshield. I tried lubricating the door seals with gummi pflege and I even removed the a-pillar trim and drove without it just to make sure that it wasn't a trim issue. The creak comes anytime the car "flexes" - ie, accelerates, stops or goes over a smallish bump, which further leads me to believe its the windshield as my understanding is that it's a stressed part of structure of the vehicle.

I just bought the vehicle CPO less than a month ago, so I might be able to get the dealer to do something about it, though I already brought it in for another issue and of course they said that they couldn't find the creak. So my thought is that I need to get the windshield essentially re-installed.

It's a Sekurit Saint-Gobain made in Colombia, so while I have don't really have a problem with the brand (I think they are/were OEM for MB) I have no idea how good of a product they are putting out of their Colombian plant. So should I raise hell with the dealer until they do something, or just find a good third-party glass shop and see if they're willing to pull it out and reinstall it??
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Rep

Bump! No suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
grandmoff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i M-Sport 6MT

I think I have the same/similar issue with mine and it has done it since I drove it off the lot. Seems to be the speaker area on the pillar in my case. No idea how to fix it but it is annoying. Will bring it up next time at the dealer but haven't been motivated enough to bring it in just for this. If anyone has a fix though I am listening!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmoff View Post
I think I have the same/similar issue with mine and it has done it since I drove it off the lot. Seems to be the speaker area on the pillar in my case. No idea how to fix it but it is annoying. Will bring it up next time at the dealer but haven't been motivated enough to bring it in just for this. If anyone has a fix though I am listening!
Interesting, one thing I never checked was the speaker. I really think my creak is coming from the windshield but I guess it's hard to really tell where a sound is coming from. Does yours creak in response to the movement of the car? Mine is definitely related more to acceleration/braking/smallish bumps and undulations in the road than, say, hitting the kind of bone rattling bumps that you would expect to cause a rattle. A road that seems "smooth" like blacktop but has minor imperfections is where I really hear it. Also seems to be worse when the weather is hot.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Gran Coupe

My car does the same thing with the OE windshield. Same symptoms, just a slight click or tick sound when accelerating or braking, or very small bumps in the road. It is def very annoying, especially since the rest of the car is so quiet.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
My car does the same thing with the OE windshield. Same symptoms, just a slight click or tick sound when accelerating or braking, or very small bumps in the road. It is def very annoying, especially since the rest of the car is so quiet.
Ever try your luck with the dealer? My 4/50 is up in September so I am going to read them the riot act when I'm in for my next service.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
EngineCo52
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar77 View Post
I've isolated a creak coming from the passenger side A-pillar as coming from my windshield, which is not the OE windshield. I tried lubricating the door seals with gummi pflege and I even removed the a-pillar trim and drove without it just to make sure that it wasn't a trim issue. The creak comes anytime the car "flexes" - ie, accelerates, stops or goes over a smallish bump, which further leads me to believe its the windshield as my understanding is that it's a stressed part of structure of the vehicle.

I just bought the vehicle CPO less than a month ago, so I might be able to get the dealer to do something about it, though I already brought it in for another issue and of course they said that they couldn't find the creak. So my thought is that I need to get the windshield essentially re-installed.

It's a Sekurit Saint-Gobain made in Colombia, so while I have don't really have a problem with the brand (I think they are/were OEM for MB) I have no idea how good of a product they are putting out of their Colombian plant. So should I raise hell with the dealer until they do something, or just find a good third-party glass shop and see if they're willing to pull it out and reinstall it??

my insurance company has a glass claim dept...might want to check with your insurance company
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineCo52 View Post
my insurance company has a glass claim dept...might want to check with your insurance company
LOL I have to admit the thought crossed my mind but I don't really feel like throwing a brick at my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
grandmoff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Interesting, one thing I never checked was the speaker. I really think my creak is coming from the windshield but I guess it's hard to really tell where a sound is coming from. Does yours creak in response to the movement of the car? Mine is definitely related more to acceleration/braking/smallish bumps and undulations in the road than, say, hitting the kind of bone rattling bumps that you would expect to cause a rattle. A road that seems "smooth" like blacktop but has minor imperfections is where I really hear it. Also seems to be worse when the weather is hot.
Yep that is exactly how mine acts, but I suppose it could be a different creak. I am coming from a X5->530->325->A4 and never had creaking like this. Very annoying in a newer designed car. I definitely feel like mine is the speaker area but could be wrong. I may see what is involved in removing the speaker and stuff something in there to see if it makes a diff. Will update ya if I find a fix!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Ever try your luck with the dealer? My 4/50 is up in September so I am going to read them the riot act when I'm in for my next service.
I got my car used with no warranty so no I haven't bothered. It's not super loud or anything, and I doubt anyone else even notices when they ride in my car so i'm not too worried about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmoff View Post
Yep that is exactly how mine acts, but I suppose it could be a different creak. I am coming from a X5->530->325->A4 and never had creaking like this. Very annoying in a newer designed car. I definitely feel like mine is the speaker area but could be wrong. I may see what is involved in removing the speaker and stuff something in there to see if it makes a diff. Will update ya if I find a fix!
Yeah let me know what you find. Like the guy above me said, it's not that big of a deal but the car is so quiet otherwise that the noise stands out.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
Rep

Update - turned out the creak was due to the pass side air vent louver. I flipped it up and down a couple times and haven't heard the creak since. Glad I didn't take a hammer to my windshield, lol (was never actually considering it).
Appreciate 0