2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Scratch in Paint - Suggestions

04-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
scoob1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Wink Scratch in Paint - Suggestions

Hello. Bought a new F10 and someone put a 1.5 inch scratch into the paint and bare metal is visible in the lower door (very thin scratch). Is it better to use touch up paint or take it to have a professional fix it (not sure if they are going to repaint the entire door). My concern is that the care is 30 days old and the factory paint process involves a 300 degree baking, clear coat etc. Will I get results anywhere near this or will I be able to tell that the door was painted?

Any professional opinion would be helpful as I am not a car painting expert. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
wow, what a bummer, sorry man, I feel your pain. If bare metal is showing, there's really not much you can do. Your 2 options really are touch up paint or paint the door. Also depending on what color your car is, scratches will be more visible. You can have someone try and wet sand and match the paint, but I've never seen it match up that well, and like I said before, it depends what color your car is...pictures would be very helpful, many angles, close up, and midrange.
      07-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob1 View Post
Hello. Bought a new F10 and someone put a 1.5 inch scratch into the paint and bare metal is visible in the lower door (very thin scratch). Is it better to use touch up paint or take it to have a professional fix it (not sure if they are going to repaint the entire door). My concern is that the care is 30 days old and the factory paint process involves a 300 degree baking, clear coat etc. Will I get results anywhere near this or will I be able to tell that the door was painted?

Any professional opinion would be helpful as I am not a car painting expert. Thank you!
There is a Bimmer DIY site that shows pictures on how to remove/fix scratches.
Pretty much you just use the matching touch up paint to paint over the scratch strip. You want that strip of coating to be slightly thicker/higher than the surrounding area (of course not too much). Than you use a 3000 grid sand paper on the back of the pencil eraser. slow sanding it down. Once that strip is evenly at the same level as the surrounding area. That's when you polish it, then wax.
I wish I remember the link with the pictures to show you. It looked great.
Appreciate 0