2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Additional phone in bluetooth

04-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
pms
Rep
Drives: BMW

Additional phone in bluetooth

I have an F10 from Feb 2011 built and I have connected two phones to the bluetooth:

- HTC Desire (Android)
- Blackbeberry 9700 (with OS6)

I was expecting that one of them could be setup as an "additional phone" but that option does not appear and I can have only one phone connected to the car at one point in time.

I thought from reading the manual that you could connect two phone to receive calls although one of the (the primary) would be used in outgoing calls.

Am I doing something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Cool 2 phones programed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
I have an F10 from Feb 2011 built and I have connected two phones to the bluetooth:

- HTC Desire (Android)
- Blackbeberry 9700 (with OS6)

I was expecting that one of them could be setup as an "additional phone" but that option does not appear and I can have only one phone connected to the car at one point in time.

I thought from reading the manual that you could connect two phone to receive calls although one of the (the primary) would be used in outgoing calls.

Am I doing something wrong?
In the US I have two phones programed into our 528. With that said only the primary phone will connect when called or calling out. The second phone will only become the primary phone when the other phone is not present or turned off. Now if I go into the setup on the Idrive and make the second phone the primary will things be reversed. Hope this helps
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
In the US I have two phones programed into our 528. With that said only the primary phone will connect when called or calling out. The second phone will only become the primary phone when the other phone is not present or turned off. Now if I go into the setup on the Idrive and make the second phone the primary will things be reversed. Hope this helps
I have my BlackBerry set as the primary and my wife's Rumor as a secondary. If I attempt to make a call while she is in the car (both phones present), the car dials out on mine (as expected). If I receive a call on my phone it comes in over the bluetooth (as expected). If she receives a call it comes in over the bluetooth (provided I'm not already on a call with my BlackBerry). If she wants to call out using her phone she simly dials the number on the phone and the bluetooth kicks in (again, provided I'm not on a call at the time).

So, to sum up, my phone and my wife's phone are both attached to the bluetooth in the car at same time but mine takes priority (she just can't dial out via the iDrive while mine is attached).

Bill
      04-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
pms
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbotcom View Post
I have my BlackBerry set as the primary and my wife's Rumor as a secondary. If I attempt to make a call while she is in the car (both phones present), the car dials out on mine (as expected). If I receive a call on my phone it comes in over the bluetooth (as expected). If she receives a call it comes in over the bluetooth (provided I'm not already on a call with my BlackBerry). If she wants to call out using her phone she simly dials the number on the phone and the bluetooth kicks in (again, provided I'm not on a call at the time).

So, to sum up, my phone and my wife's phone are both attached to the bluetooth in the car at same time but mine takes priority (she just can't dial out via the iDrive while mine is attached).

Bill
Exactly! This was what I expected but I can not marked any of the phones as an additional phone.

the option just isn't there...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Exactly! This was what I expected but I can not marked any of the phones as an additional phone.

the option just isn't there...
If I remember tonight I'll take a look at the exact sequence of steps to access it and post them.

Bill
      04-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I didn't mention that when I'm not present her phone behaves as the primary (but I can't tell you all that it does, all I know is she has called me via the iDrive from her phone's contact list).

Bill
      04-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

From memory (something that seems to be slipping away as the years pile on):
Make sure the "additional" phone is currently paired and connected to the car then from the main menu:
- Telephone menu option
- Bluetooth (telephone)
- under Connected highlight the phone and hit the Option button on the iDrive
- Configure Phone
- check the box next to Additional Telephone (three check boxes are available: Telephone, Additional Telephone and Audio)
- Click Ok

Now, turn the car ignition off, turn your primary phone on and start the car with both phones present.

Have fun...
Bill
      04-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
pms
Rep

Quote:
From memory (something that seems to be slipping away as the years pile on):
Make sure the "additional" phone is currently paired and connected to the car then from the main menu:
- Telephone menu option
- Bluetooth (telephone)
- under Connected highlight the phone and hit the Option button on the iDrive
- Configure Phone
- check the box next to Additional Telephone (three check boxes are available: Telephone, Additional Telephone and Audio)
- Click Ok

Now, turn the car ignition off, turn your primary phone on and start the car with both phones present.

Have fun...
Bill
That is my problem, when I press configure phone, I only have 2 boxes: Telephone and Audio...

Did I not buy anything that I should have bought?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That is my problem, when I press configure phone, I only have 2 boxes: Telephone and Audio...

Did I not buy anything that I should have bought?
On the same screen as Configure Phone do not select Configure Phone but scroll down the page (turn the iDrive knob) until the options that are out of sight appear. Included in these options is the global check box to allow for "Additional Phone"s. Check it first then go back and configure the additional phone.

Bill
      04-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
gidoc
Rep
Drives: 520d

I have four phones connected to my 520d but only one will work at a time. The phone you connect with will remain connected all the time unless you connect another one and then it automatically disconnects the first one.
Best wishes
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Side question: Does the F10 Bluetooth allow you to switch between calls?
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:16 AM   #12
pms
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
Side question: Does the F10 Bluetooth allow you to switch between calls?
Yes and even start conference calls
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #13
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

pms:

Did you find the global setting for "Additional Phone" and did you get it to work?
      04-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #14
pms
Rep

Quote:
pms:

Did you find the global setting for "Additional Phone" and did you get it to work?
No... I have an option for Office and Audio but nothing for Additional Phone.

I guess that for some reason that is a feature on higher models (I have a F10 520d).

Anyway, thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #15
adhe1482
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011

optional bluetooth

I have a question,,

In Indonesia, this F10 (528) don't have a Bluetooth as a standard equipment, thus, I have to buy it as an optional equipment at my dealer.

The question is, is it worth if I buy this Bluetooth through my dealer for around US$ 1500?
What is another feature of this Bluetooth if I applied in my car instead of pairing with my mobile phone? is it also have a function as a voice command?

Thanks for sharing

Last edited by adhe1482; 05-10-2011 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0