BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 135i

Vendor sent me the wrong exhaust

Haven't had a chance to work with them on this, but I ordered the Berk muffler delete and got the street version instead. Had the exhaust shipped straight to the shop, and had it mounted before I saw it. When I drove my car, I thought it sounded great, but not quite as loud as I was expecting.

Real bummer is, I already paid to have it installed...

I'm not entirely unhappy, I mean, I saved about $150 on the exhaust. But I was really wanting the weight reduction from the muffler delete. Anyone know how much more the street weights over the race version?

Gonna call the vendor next week to see what we can work out.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiggs View Post
Haven't had a chance to work with them on this, but I ordered the Berk muffler delete and got the street version instead. Had the exhaust shipped straight to the shop, and had it mounted before I saw it. When I drove my car, I thought it sounded great, but not quite as loud as I was expecting.

Real bummer is, I already paid to have it installed...

I'm not entirely unhappy, I mean, I saved about $150 on the exhaust. But I was really wanting the weight reduction from the muffler delete. Anyone know how much more the street weights over the race version?

Gonna call the vendor next week to see what we can work out.

wrong section : <. u should have double checked before hand that the parts were the same, even if it was sent to your dealer. but good luck !
      04-16-2011, 03:30 AM   #3
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
wrong section : <. u should have double checked before hand that the parts were the same, even if it was sent to your dealer. but good luck !
Well, apparently I don't even check what forum I'm posting on beforehand! Haha, mods?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
N55_NOLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 550i

I bet you could PM one of the Berk guys and they'd get back to you pretty quickly. Or you could just call them, their number is (714) 546-BERK.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55_NOLE View Post
I bet you could PM one of the Berk guys and they'd get back to you pretty quickly. Or you could just call them, their number is (714) 546-BERK.
Talked to them yesterday and they said I could either keep it (even though I paid $150 less), or send it back and they'd send me the right exhaust. They also said they wouldn't cover installation costs to swap out the exaust which I understand. I really should have checked beforehand. Oh well, lesson learned!

I think I might take your suggestion. I'm really kind of torn. I like the exhaust, and got a great deal on it, but I really wanted that weight savings. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
outsider
The Show Goes On
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

No offense, I have no idea what you have done to the car but the weight savings aren't going to be much you can feel. Keep what you received IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

The difference between the two is 5 pounds. Stock axleback is ~36 lbs, berk race exhaust is like 20 pounds, and street exhaust is about 25 pounds

If you throw some midpipes on, the sound will definitely get deeper and louder. I had the muffler delete and it was ALWAYS loud. Now I have the midpipes and race axleback and at full throttle it's as loud as the muffler delete. With a light foot it's quieter than the muffler delete by a bit, but still sounds throatier. Maybe Berk will cut you a deal on the midpipes since they shipped you the wrong exhaust and put you through the installation trouble?

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider View Post
No offense, I have no idea what you have done to the car but the weight savings aren't going to be much you can feel. Keep what you received IMHO.
My goal is to shed somewhere in the neighborhood of 75lbs this year and up to ~125lbs combined next year after adding CF hood/trunk. I've already dropped ~10lbs per corner with wheels/tires, and wanted the muffler delete since it was pretty much a no-brainer 15lbs for such an inexpensive part. Next would be the med sized race battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
The difference between the two is 5 pounds. Stock axleback is ~36 lbs, berk race exhaust is like 20 pounds, and street exhaust is about 25 pounds

If you throw some midpipes on, the sound will definitely get deeper and louder. I had the muffler delete and it was ALWAYS loud. Now I have the midpipes and race axleback and at full throttle it's as loud as the muffler delete. With a light foot it's quieter than the muffler delete by a bit, but still sounds throatier. Maybe Berk will cut you a deal on the midpipes since they shipped you the wrong exhaust and put you through the installation trouble?
Dewd, has anyone told you how awesome you are? Haha, thanks for the great info!! I think I might hold off on anymore exhaust changes till next year when I do DPs and a full race system (once Cobb has their stage 2 tune released and proven). I like the exhaust well enough for now, and don't want to pay for installation twice. Besides, I just dropped a retarded amount of money on wheels & suspension.

Curious, are the midpipes mostly for sound or does dropping the second cat give a noticeable performance gain? I mean, I know cats generally reduce airflow, but would it register on the butt dyno swapping out the OEM for the Berk piece?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
moved it for ya!

Don't think its a huge deal, but I can see where you are coming from

I say keep it and use the extra $ for a nice set of pedals