E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Ugly clutch noise, throw bearing?

04-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
e-fer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sport, Jet Black

Ugly clutch noise, throw bearing?

I finally got BMW dealer to admit there is a grinding noise coming from the clutch, more specifically from the throw bearing. The noise as been increasing over time to the point my wife noticed it (that says it all). The dealer claims they cannot fixed it b/c it is too much work just to fix the bearing.

The car has now 46K miles and my concern is that if the bearing snaps or something goes wrong after the 50K miles, I’ll be in for a $3K clutch work.

Has anybody experienced the same issues?... how can I get BMW to do what it is right and get it fixed?... Any recommendations?

Thanks

2007 335i / Jet Black / Aluminim Trim / 6MT / Navigation / Sport / Premium /
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Call the regional BMW office and register a complaint against the dealer. Warranty is warranty. If the throwout bearing went bad, then it went bad and needs to be replaced. It's awarranty item, have them fix it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I did have the same problem. took it to the dealer with the sick noise 3 times. Each time heard that it was normal or they didnt hear the noise. One month after the last attempt to have them fix it the clutch burnt up(they couildnt hear the noise butr they cold smell the clutch). They replaced it and it was covered even though it was the second clutch replacement. Thing is they could have saved time,money and a potential me being stuck somewhere by taking care of it on one of the earlier visits.
And it was the throwout bearing that went first. Sounds like he is trying to push you off until yoru warranty expires, and it could be close with how many miles you have left.
Could ride the clutch for a week and help it along(just kidding, would not suggest that to anyone)
      04-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Call BMWNA. Explain that the dealer has verified the problem but that it is "too much trouble to fix" and request that they direct a different dealer to fix it.

As an alternative you could just take the car to another dealer, but whatever you do, do it now before the warranty expires.
Appreciate 0