Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Your Thoughs On Non-Run-Flat Tires?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
JackSpadesSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Your Thoughs On Non-Run-Flat Tires?

I'm looking to buy either Michelin Pilot Sport 2 run-flat tires or Michelin Pilot Super Sport standard tires. Either way, these will be 225/40R18, 255/35R18 size.

These tires will be used for everything in warm weather - from going to the track to buying groceries in stop-and-go traffic.

The pro/con list seems very simplistic for these two choices: one has the peace of mind of being run-flat, while the other seems to be the much better performance tire. As my car (2011 E90 335i) doesn't come with a spare, I'm worried about the risk of driving without run-flats.

Is there any serious risk of getting a flat at the track? I don’t plan to buy a whole spare wheel/tire (should I?). I suppose I could just call AAA for a tow on the road, but I’m not sure how that would work at the track.

Please let me know your thoughts on this!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

If you have BMW assist, you are covered for a tow to nearest dealer if you get a flat, regardless of what kind of tires you have. Be warned that SOME, but not all, dealers are bitchy about installing non-runflats. I'd ask first, before I get towed there. You have your choice of dealers within a 50 mile radius, or nearest one outside of that.

And, no, they won't charge you for the tow if you don't have RFTs, contrary to some claims you read here.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
JackSpadesSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, I've got BMW Assist and AAA Roadside Assistance. My issue is less the expense of the tow, and more the logistics of it: I fear damage to my car if they don't use a flatbed tow truck, I worry about insurance if I had to call for a tow from a track (not racing, but BMW CCA high performance driving education event).

Other issues:
- Is there risk of damage to the wheel if I get a flat?
- Do I need to buy a spare wheel & tire?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

They might not tow you from the track, only way to know is call them and ask. Sure, there is always chance of damage to a wheel, especially if it's a blowout.

Spare is up to you, but considering there aren't BMW dealers everywhere, you should either carry a spare or a slime kit, maybe plug kit and compressor. You can only drive 50 miles on a runflat with no pressure before it's dead, anyway, so even with the stock tires, you might get stuck somewhere bad. What happens if you are in the middle of nowhere, out of cell phone range (and that means Assist won't work, either), and you zap a tire on a rock? It could be a long hike out to call for help!

We got the compact spare kit from Bavarian Auto, comes with tools and jack, all of which fit under the floor liner. Tire doesn't take up too much space in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #5
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpadesSI View Post
Well, I've got BMW Assist and AAA Roadside Assistance. My issue is less the expense of the tow, and more the logistics of it: I fear damage to my car if they don't use a flatbed tow truck, I worry about insurance if I had to call for a tow from a track (not racing, but BMW CCA high performance driving education event).

Other issues:
- Is there risk of damage to the wheel if I get a flat?
- Do I need to buy a spare wheel & tire?
Re flatbed, BMW assist knows enough to send a flatbed. AAA would need to be told, firmly!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
JackSpadesSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If I bought a spare, would I buy an extra front (18"x8", 225/40) or an extra rear (18"x8.5", 255/35)? Both would be ridiculous.

My nearest BMW dealership is just over 70 miles from my house. I assume BMW Assist will do the tow, even if I have to pay a little extra. I think AAA does it within 100 miles.

Got any links for a recommended slime kit / plug kit / compressor? What's the compact spare kit from Bavarian Auto?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Don't buy another rear, you can't use that size on the front. Front size can be used as a spare on the rear, however.

BMW assist tows to the nearest dealer, regardless of distance, if it's over 50 miles, no charge. It could be 300 miles, same deal.

Search the forums for "compact spare" you will find lots of threads. There are several sources for the kit. Bavauto.com is one of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

not a fan of run flats at all...
Appreciate 0