E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Stealership problem or is it my fault?

03-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Unique335i07
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i

Angry Stealership problem or is it my fault?

I brought my 2007 BMW 335i into the dealership today from a recall the car has had for awhile and really never heard about it. It was for a simple software update. My warranty has been over and I have about 84,000 miles on the vehicle. I have a JB3 tune to the vehicle and asked Terry from Burgertuning if it would be fine to bring the car in for software updates with the JB3 connected and he said it was fine. Now the dealership is telling me after about 3 hours of waiting that the software update was updating and then crashed. They tried it again and the samething. Now there telling me that it was due to an outside source which would be my tuner. There gonna let the car sit for an hour and do a battery hard restart which I think thats just disconnecting it for about 30 minutes then reconnecting it. They said it that doesnt work that Im going to have to pay out of my pocket for a whole new system or whatever went wrong. Am i getting screwed with or is this all my fault? Any information would help from anyone!! Thanks in advance!
Black 07 E90 // Apex Arc-8 18" BMW Rims Front 245/35/18 Rear 275/35/18 // LED Angel Eyes // 8000k D1S, 8000k High Beam, 8000k Fog lights // LED Tail lights // 15% Tint // LED Interior Lights // Riss Racing Downpipes // Borla "aggressive" exhaust // Injen Dual Intake // HKS Super Sequential BOV // JB3 Map 5 // KW v2 Suspension // Stoptech Rotors/Brakelines // o2 Simulator
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique335i07 View Post
I brought my 2007 BMW 335i into the dealership today from a recall the car has had for awhile and really never heard about it. It was for a simple software update. My warranty has been over and I have about 84,000 miles on the vehicle. I have a JB3 tune to the vehicle and asked Terry from Burgertuning if it would be fine to bring the car in for software updates with the JB3 connected and he said it was fine. Now the dealership is telling me after about 3 hours of waiting that the software update was updating and then crashed. They tried it again and the samething. Now there telling me that it was due to an outside source which would be my tuner. There gonna let the car sit for an hour and do a battery hard restart which I think thats just disconnecting it for about 30 minutes then reconnecting it. They said it that doesnt work that Im going to have to pay out of my pocket for a whole new system or whatever went wrong. Am i getting screwed with or is this all my fault? Any information would help from anyone!! Thanks in advance!
Your fault. The JB3 may have caused an issue with the update and even if it didn't, that gave the dealer a great "out."
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
You should always pull your tunes before letting the dealer service your vehicle. It's possible that the BMS had nothing to do with it but now you gave them an excuse since the BMS piggybacks the DME and that's the module they were updating.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
GRIDLOCK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Your fault. The JB3 may have caused an issue with the update and even if it didn't, that gave the dealer a great "out."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
You should always pull your tunes before letting the dealer service your vehicle. It's possible that the BMS had nothing to do with it but now you gave them an excuse since the BMS piggybacks the DME and that's the module they were updating.

+1
Appreciate 0