Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > michelin pilot ps vs. ps2

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-14-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i '08

michelin pilot ps vs. ps2

hi guys. newb here. a couple of questions if you guys don't mind

1. my '08 335i has about 9000 miles on it. (i know, i didn't drive much in the last 3 years) i noticed that thread on the rear tire is almost gone, while thread on the front tires seems to have plenty of life left. is it normal, since it's rear wheel drive?

2. my car came from the factory with michelin Pilot PS. i browsed tirerack.com and it looks like they now make PS2, probably an updated version. is PS2 a noticebly improved tires? or should i go to a different tire altogether?

3. should i bite the bullet and get all four new tires? or is it okay to replace rear tires only? i'm mainly worried if traction control might give me a weird errors since the diameter of the new rear wheels will be greater than that of somewhat worn-out front tires. if i replace rear tires only, would it be perhaps better to get the PS2, since it's the closest match i would find? or is it okay to go to another manufacturer...

thanks for your input, guys
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

should be fine with ps2

not sure about the difference, google them; ps2 is generally considered the best high performance max summer tire around
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
texasKA
Rock Band Drummer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 528i

there are a lot better tires out there than michelins.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
cwmizner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

really? i had a set of PS2's and I loved them. depends on your driving though. I actually did some autocrossing on my PS2's, they held up well although there are better autocross tires out there.

i'd get the new super sports, can't imagine you wouldn't love them, but they are a premium tire...

if you are somewhat 'normal' in driving, a bridgestone RE760 would be fine and cheaper (for example)

what climate? that could factor in too...

it's common for the rears to wear faster, assuming you have a staggered setup, I'd get used to replacing them one axle at a time, you are probably fine mixing, again depends on driving, if you go super sport you'll have more grip in back which could make the car understeer more, but that's a safe characteristic, just not a fun one...

i wouldn't worry about the traction control, the diameter difference won't be enough to be an issue

i'd do good research and pick a tire you plan to go with for a long time, the mix is ok, but having all 4 the same is probably more desirable

are your tires run flats? i think run flats suck and shy away from them, they ride much harsher and are expensive, you need a plan on the rare occurrence of having a flat though obv (i personally just roll the dice)

sport package or no? what size do you have currently both front and rear?

Last edited by cwmizner; 04-07-2011 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
cwmizner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

try tire racks tire decision guide:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dg/MenuServlet?search=tdg

i didn't go all the way through it, but it seems like it should help what tire is best for YOU

pick a tire, do the rears only, then match the fronts when they need it, you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Match to existing tires if at all possible.

Tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
CrimsonIvy35i
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6 M

Are they going to realease a Pilot SuperSport Runflat?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasKA View Post
there are a lot better tires out there than michelins.
really? a lot? Sure there are tires out there that do one thing or possibly two better, but given the vast number I have driven both on the street and track, Michelin makes some of the best all around performance tires.

In my opinion PS2's are tough to beat for a do everything (except snow) high performance tire. they handle awesome, are quiet, light weight, and last fairly long. PE2's are really good too, but unfortunately not available in sizing for a 335. I imagine things will only be better with the new PS3 or Super Sport.

For flat out handling non R compound (yes they are technically street legal); I'd go Advan neova or RE11.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonIvy35i View Post
Are they going to realease a Pilot SuperSport Runflat?
Negative, sorry. They are sticking with the PS2 RFT for the foreseeable future.

Tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0