E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > swirl marks

03-13-2011, 04:09 AM   #1
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

swirl marks

Hi Guys

I collected my LB E91 335i last week and as expected there are light swirl mark every where. I wash my cars myself and want to correct this as well so I need your knowlegedable advice please. I need to know what product shall I use, and whats the start to finish in this detail. Afaik..

1. Snow foam then rinse

2. wash 2 bucket method then rinse and dry

3. Clay ??? (haven't clayed before) but is it a must before paint correction (polish) ? if yes which clay ?

4. Polish (removal of swirl marks) ? or am i wrong ? and if not which polish you guys use to get rid of very light swirl marks.

5 Wax (again not sure if this is the right step to follow after paint correction) which one as its almost spring time.

Thank for the read and please advise me in the right direction
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwysard View Post
Hi Guys

I collected my LB E91 335i last week and as expected there are light swirl mark every where. I wash my cars myself and want to correct this as well so I need your knowlegedable advice please. I need to know what product shall I use, and whats the start to finish in this detail. Afaik..

1. Snow foam then rinse

3. Clay ??? (haven't clayed before) but is it a must before paint correction (polish) ? if yes which clay ?

4. Polish (removal of swirl marks) ? or am i wrong ? and if not which polish you guys use to get rid of very light swirl marks.

5 Wax (again not sure if this is the right step to follow after paint correction) which one as its almost spring time.

First question do you own a porter cable to machine polish the car? You can't remove swirls without one so that's the first thing we need to know.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Hi Guys

1. Snow foam then rinse

Thank you for the inquiry I would be happy to help you out. For more detailed information about each step check out our detailing guide and our Ask a Pro Blog. As for your specific questions I'll do my best to help answer each one.

1.) Not sure if you have a foam gun or lance but if not our foam gun is on sale at 25% off this month - Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun
As for shampoos I really like the Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II if you don't want to strip off the old sealant or wax. If you want to remove the old sealant and wax wash with the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash.

2.) Couple of great washing and drying kits here that save you quite a bit of money.
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package
DI Packages Washing and Drying Advanced Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Ultimate Kit

3.) I do consider clay a must before polishing. It really deep cleans the paint so your paint is completely clean. This helps ensure you don't grind in contaminants while polishing and possibly contaminate your applicator. Contaminants will help prematurely break down the polishing particles and can possibly cause micro-marring.

Most bars are actually from the same exact mfg just branded differently. I'd just make sure you get the right bar (most likely a fine grade bar) and a good cost per gram. I'd highly recommend the DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube.

4.) This is the step where you really restore the paint to like new again. You can permanently remove swirls, oxidation, etc. not just temporarily hide them. I was not sure if you were considering getting a buffer or if you were just saying you won't be using one. I highly recommend you consider getting a Porter Cable (PC) as they are so easy to use, vastly improve your results while saving you time and energy. We have some affordable kits that give you the PC, backing plate, pads and polishes you would need here DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit or DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads. Both kits give you the M105 and M205 polishes with the PC that are going to help you really restore the paint to like new. Best of all the PC is easy to use and completely safe even for a first time user. Again check out our detailing guide for step by step instructions and other helpful hints.

If you prefer to do a hand application I generally just recommend a one step process with a foam applicator and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205.

5.) After polishing protect and enhance the shine with a sealant or wax. Waxes last about 2 - 6 weeks so we generally recommend a sealant which lasts 3 - 6 months. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is my favorite sealant. It provides a remarkable shine with durable protection while easy to apply. You can apply it by hand or use a blue pad and your buffer.

If you really want to you can apply a wax on top of the sealant for added protection and shine. The Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax is a great option for a quality liquid wax that works on all colors. If you want a bit more gloss from a paste wax try the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax or any of the Dodo Juice waxes. These options are applied by hand only but the exceptional gloss makes it well worth it.

I hand remove all of the excess product with a clean DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are paint safe and help quickly remove the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, etc. I'd suggest getting about 5x - 10x of them.

When you are done step back and look at the stunning shine! Your paint will will feel incredibly smooth and be well protected for months to come. As always save 10% off with the coupon code e90post, but it doesn't apply to DI Packages, sale items and tools. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
First question do you own a porter cable to machine polish the car? You can't remove swirls without one so that's the first thing we need to know.
No porter cable but if I'll have to have one for this sort of light work which one would you recommend.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Thank you for the inquiry I would be happy to help you out. For more detailed information about each step check out our detailing guide and our Ask a Pro Blog. As for your specific questions I'll do my best to help answer each one.

1.) Not sure if you have a foam gun or lance but if not our foam gun is on sale at 25% off this month - Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun
As for shampoos I really like the Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II if you don't want to strip off the old sealant or wax. If you want to remove the old sealant and wax wash with the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash.

2.) Couple of great washing and drying kits here that save you quite a bit of money.

3.) I do consider clay a must before polishing. It really deep cleans the paint so your paint is completely clean. This helps ensure you don't grind in contaminants while polishing and possibly contaminate your applicator. Contaminants will help prematurely break down the polishing particles and can possibly cause micro-marring.

Most bars are actually from the same exact mfg just branded differently. I'd just make sure you get the right bar (most likely a fine grade bar) and a good cost per gram. I'd highly recommend the DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube.

4.) This is the step where you really restore the paint to like new again. You can permanently remove swirls, oxidation, etc. not just temporarily hide them. I was not sure if you were considering getting a buffer or if you were just saying you won't be using one. I highly recommend you consider getting a Porter Cable (PC) as they are so easy to use, vastly improve your results while saving you time and energy. We have some affordable kits that give you the PC, backing plate, pads and polishes you would need here DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit or DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads. Both kits give you the M105 and M205 polishes with the PC that are going to help you really restore the paint to like new. Best of all the PC is easy to use and completely safe even for a first time user. Again check out our detailing guide for step by step instructions and other helpful hints.

If you prefer to do a hand application I generally just recommend a one step process with a foam applicator and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205.

5.) After polishing protect and enhance the shine with a sealant or wax. Waxes last about 2 - 6 weeks so we generally recommend a sealant which lasts 3 - 6 months. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is my favorite sealant. It provides a remarkable shine with durable protection while easy to apply. You can apply it by hand or use a blue pad and your buffer.

If you really want to you can apply a wax on top of the sealant for added protection and shine. The Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax is a great option for a quality liquid wax that works on all colors. If you want a bit more gloss from a paste wax try the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax or any of the Dodo Juice waxes. These options are applied by hand only but the exceptional gloss makes it well worth it.

I hand remove all of the excess product with a clean DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are paint safe and help quickly remove the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, etc. I'd suggest getting about 5x - 10x of them.

When you are done step back and look at the stunning shine! Your paint will will feel incredibly smooth and be well protected for months to come. As always save 10% off with the coupon code e90post, but it doesn't apply to DI Packages, sale items and tools. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Thanks Greg for all this info. It'll really help to achive required result. I'll b in touch with you regarding the products and some more info.

Regards
AR
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:
No porter cable but if I'll have to have one for this sort of light work which one would you recommend.
7424xp but Greg from DI pretty much summed everything up
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

PC with orange white black pads
M105/orange
menzerna 203 powerfinish/white
menzerna 85rd/black
chemical guys ezcream glaze
blackfire wet diamond or menzerna powerlock

obviously dont start with 105 and orange if 203 and white will work out for you (start with least aggressive method first. You can also use orange and 203 before jumping up to 105.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
PC with orange white black pads
M105/orange
menzerna 203 powerfinish/white
menzerna 85rd/black
chemical guys ezcream glaze
blackfire wet diamond or menzerna powerlock

obviously dont start with 105 and orange if 203 and white will work out for you (start with least aggressive method first. You can also use orange and 203 before jumping up to 105.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post

Greg @ DI
Hi Greg

Quite intrested in this package

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...205-pads-P438/

But need to know if the pc is good for the UK ? as I think the voltage we use is 230v whereas in US its 110v ? Please confirm this and how much would be the shipping to New York City as it will be shipped from there to the UK.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 02:04 AM   #10
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335!

Hey Detailed Image,

I love that write up. I have a black saphire and want to clean it up real well. It has light swirl marks. Can u give me some sort of package for all of that, make it easier for me?

Also i have the tan interior and its becoming to get filthy, whats something for inside.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep

no one
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
Krells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motastic View Post
Hey Detailed Image,

I love that write up. I have a black saphire and want to clean it up real well. It has light swirl marks. Can u give me some sort of package for all of that, make it easier for me?

Also i have the tan interior and its becoming to get filthy, whats something for inside.
interior:
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...are-32oz-P361/

exterior:
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...lay-Lube-P505/
and
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...nus-Item-P522/
and
http://www.detailedimage.com/Blackfi...P205/16-oz-S1/

Make sure to use coupon code e90post at checkout.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep

damm that looks like a good amount of stuff, now the question is what steps need to be followed for it all?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #14
Krells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
damm that looks like a good amount of stuff, now the question is what steps need to be followed for it all?
Check out the sticky at the top of the page, it walks you through the process in more detail than I could type here.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Greg

Quite intrested in this package

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...205-pads-P438/

But need to know if the pc is good for the UK ? as I think the voltage we use is 230v whereas in US its 110v ? Please confirm this and how much would be the shipping to New York City as it will be shipped from there to the UK.

Thanks
Our unit is the 110v and we don't ship internationally so it would have to go to the NYC address you referenced. We are also located in NY so the shipping is very fast (usually one business day) and the cost is reasonable $9 - $12. Let me know if you have any other questions. All those items are in stock and ready to ship asap.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #16
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Detailed Image,

Sorry for the slow response. For the exterior I'd suggest the same exact combination I outlined above. If that doesn't meet your needs let me know how I can best tailor a recommendation to your needs.

For the interior we have two great kits depending on what you are looking for:
DI Packages Interior Starter Kit
DI Packages Interior Ultimate Care

For the Wheels and Tires here are three great kits:

DI Packages Wheel and Tire Basic Kit
DI Packages Wheel and Tire Starter Kit
DI Packages Wheel and Tire Ultimate Kit

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI

Quote:
Nothing is really needed afterward. We generally recommend setting up a schedule for yourself so you can keep up. At a minimum we recommend washing and protecting the paint every four months or so. This will ensure the paint is protected year round.
Appreciate 0