E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Article: The 3 worst things drivers do, according to top racer

03-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Article: The 3 worst things drivers do, according to top racer

http://www.wheels.ca/Columnists/article/794268

Quote:
We keep trying. Everyone writing in this section, every level of government, every police force — everyone.

We keep telling people how deadly our roads can be. And if it feels like the headlights are on but nobody’s home (when they’ve bothered to put their lights on at all), you would think we would get sad and bitter and shut up.

But we don’t.

Collision fatality rates are coming down, but that’s because car manufacturers are implementing new technologies that basically save you from yourself.

You’ll note I used the word “collision.” You should start using it too. There is essentially no such thing as an accident on our roadways. You may be on the horrible receiving end of someone else’s mistake, but driver error is never an accident.

I met a man this week who knows a great deal about driving. Generally acknowledged as Canada’s most versatile and long-running racing champion, Ron Fellows has won at every level of competition from sports car racing to NASCAR to the 24 Hours of LeMans, and competed on virtually every race track in North America.

His career spans decades; by the late 1990s he was moving into his role as the primary development driver for GM’s Corvette C5-R program and he remains one of the top technical advisors for GM Racing. He teaches at the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch near Las Vegas, while making his home here in Mississauga.

All of this is interesting, and attests to the fact that he is an excellent driver. But I wanted his take on the conditions of our roads for another reason: he wins a lot of Most Popular Driver awards from fans. He’s a helluva nice guy. I figured if readers are sick of the rest of us trying to explain why you shouldn’t drug and drive, or text and drive, or speed or run red lights or blow off stop signs, maybe you’d listen to him.

“Top three worst things drivers do,” I asked him. He exhaled heavily, eyes glancing around the coffee shop. You can tell he instantly knows the three things, but is searching for a way to make his words count. He has three kids; he knows people tune out instruction in general, and lengthy instruction in particular.

“Stay out of the left lane. Just, get out. If you’re not passing, get out of that lane. Period. And passing on the right. That’s insanity. Do not pass on the right,” he said.

I asked if this was one and two, or all one. “One and two. They’re that important,” he smiled.

“In Europe, you just don’t see this. You don’t pass on the right, because there is a passing lane. Here, we have badly trained drivers. They are trained to pass the test, but the level of instruction is abysmal.”

Fellows is a huge proponent of simulators being used in driver training.

“Kids are already familiar with doing things like this. It may be more of an adaptation for older people, but the level of skill involved is superior to any classroom and road-only training that most schools do. Look for training using simulators,” he suggests.

Before I can ask, he’s arrived at No. 3. “Awareness. There is a total lack of awareness on our roads,” he says, leaning forward. Distracted, inattentive and unprepared; with two of his kids driving and a third coming up, Fellows is facing the same concerns of many parents.

“Parents are putting high performance cars into their kids’ hands, cars that 12 years ago were race cars. Poorly trained drivers are operating race cars,” he says, shaking his head.

So, where does this all lead to? Every journalist, every instructor, every cop, every emergency room worker, every firefighter and paramedic and now this top-flight road racer, all keep having the same conversation: better driver training.

When do we start taking it seriously?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
So true about the left lane drivers. Some people are so out to lunch. I don't think a day goes by where I don't encounter this on my travels to and from work on the Gardner.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Andy M
Canada
Rep

The problem with driving in the left lane is everyone who wants to pass now has to pass on the right which is really dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
pHo_e92
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.26]
2000 BMW 323i  [6.00]
1997 Honda Civic HB  [10.00]
2007 BMW X5 4.8  [10.00]
ya man it gets frustrating when your stuck behind someone in the left lane and everyone on the right lanes are passing you. no choice but to pass on the right lane.

| COBB | Injen DCI | Active Autowerke | Sonic Tuning | E92 Lighting | ER | HKS | BMS | Ground Control | Vortex Tuning |
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
agree on all points.
08 E92 335i FBO 6MT 427 whp space grey
05 E46 M3 red
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Want
YVR
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Monaco Blue

Quote:
Stay out of the bmw lane. Just, get out. If you’re not passing, get out of that lane. Period. And passing on the right. That’s insanity. Do not pass on the right,
fixed.

j/k aside from mornings and afternoons I don't think Vancouver is that bad. Most people tend to move out of the way.
      03-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
kyo21
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Technical

Quote:
Before I can ask, he’s arrived at No. 3. “Awareness. There is a total lack of awareness on our roads,” he says, leaning forward. Distracted, inattentive and unprepared; with two of his kids driving and a third coming up, Fellows is facing the same concerns of many parents.

“Parents are putting high performance cars into their kids’ hands, cars that 12 years ago were race cars. Poorly trained drivers are operating race cars,” he says, shaking his head.

So, where does this all lead to? Every journalist, every instructor, every cop, every emergency room worker, every firefighter and paramedic and now this top-flight road racer, all keep having the same conversation: better driver training.

When do we start taking it seriously?
So true! I would still be riding my R6 if it weren't for a distracted inattentive drivers! (I blame a lady driving a silver PT cruiser on a cell phone, before the no cell phone law).

Not to mention preventing some injuries and road rash....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
JonasV
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

yes to the points above... and yes to more schooling.

Additionally, our driving test is and absolute joke. It should be 10 times harder so that people that lack driving skill stay off the road until they gain these essential skills (ie schooling).

Driving should be a privilege not a right (as it seems to be in North America)
      03-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
bigup
Random Car Person
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow M3

Garage List
Ugh .. my biggest observation after moving from England to Calgary, was the fact that everybody here seems to dart out into the left lane at the earliest opportunity, even if there is nobody to overtake!

Same with people following too close. That's why I bought a 335i - I needed a car quick enough to escape from these idiots.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want View Post
fixed.

j/k aside from mornings and afternoons I don't think Vancouver is that bad. Most people tend to move out of the way.
Toronto is genuinely full of idiots.

Almost as bad as a large american city.

lot of low-socio economic ppl in tdot...and it shows. not saying there is a link...just suggesting. i'm sure the middle class is out to lunch in that city as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasV View Post
yes to the points above... and yes to more schooling.

Additionally, our driving test is and absolute joke. It should be 10 times harder so that people that lack driving skill stay off the road until they gain these essential skills (ie schooling).

Driving should be a privilege not a right (as it seems to be in North America)
I am not sure about we need more schooling.
In BC, it's the toughest and longest in NA to get full class 5 license from nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Well, we should blame ourselves.
We drive ultimate driving machine and teenagers envy us.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Driving in Edmonton, Calgary, and now Toronto, I actually found Toronto drivers much worse than the rest of the country. The level of aggression and inattentiveness here is unbelievable. I was making a left turn today off Bathurst onto Lakehsore and the woman behind me in a Civic was texting through the entire turn...and almost turned into the wrong lane too. Scary.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #14
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

There are just so many unskilled and clueless drivers out there. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't see proof of this, from people driving too slow, not paying attention, not having their lights on at night or in bad weather, etc. I agree that we should have tougher driving tests, and even retesting periodically after that in order to maintain your license.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #15
t7n7
CYNOSURE
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla ModelS - waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
The problem with driving in the left lane is everyone who wants to pass now has to pass on the right which is really dangerous.
first of all...this is soo true.... these dumbass monkey's here don't know how to drive.. when i say here.. i'm talking about Toronto... every day to work... i have to deal with an idiot that cruises on the left lane.... when there is a pile of cars tailgating him/her ... and refuses to pull over to the right... we end up using the right lane to pass.

now.... i believe.. some people think... while they are on the left lane... they shouldn't exceed the speed limit and should wait till a lane changing opportunity... but speeding up an extra 10km to change lanes wouldn't hurt....

another thing is...when you highbeam or honk to let them know ... they get all defensive and purposely stay in the lane ...... that's just badass ego.... seriously... wtf... all i can say is... until autonomous driving (*such as the googlecar*) [http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/g...-a-wild-ride/] is introduced ... we will have to deal with shit like this...

peace.
09' X650i loaded hud/comfort/sports/premium/audio/coldweather/power - the beast / 03' G35c electrochromic tints - www.youtube.com/wisht7n7 - the baby / 02' TL internet/satTV/massage seats - the entertainer / 10' TSX - currently modding - Go kart / TESLA MODEL S - Signature Edition #73 2012
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #16
t7n7
CYNOSURE
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla ModelS - waiting...

another thing.... doesn't matter what type of car the parents pass on to their kids... it's all about control and discipline. I have a 11 year old who will be driving my X6 or G in 5 years and I would only expect him to have self control.... doesn't matter if you give them a 600hp or 150hp car... as long as they follow the driving regulations... it won't matter... it's like saying.. you can't give your child a knife to use because he or she might go stab someone with it... lol.... *shakes head*
09' X650i loaded hud/comfort/sports/premium/audio/coldweather/power - the beast / 03' G35c electrochromic tints - www.youtube.com/wisht7n7 - the baby / 02' TL internet/satTV/massage seats - the entertainer / 10' TSX - currently modding - Go kart / TESLA MODEL S - Signature Edition #73 2012
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taYab View Post
I am not sure about we need more schooling.
In BC, it's the toughest and longest in NA to get full class 5 license from nothing.
What people need is mandatory, proper training and mandatory refresher courses. I saw on TopGear that in Finland, you need 40 hours of professional drivers training before you can apply to take your drivers test - including at least 6 hours on a skidpad.

I find that, around Calgary, the right lane is often the fastest because of all the idiots parked in the left lane.

BTW - my wife's 4cyl accord has more power than any corvette from 1974-1982. Yeah, today's 4cyl engines have the same power as late 70s big-block engines.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #18
Want
YVR
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Monaco Blue

Yea lived in Toronto for five years as well, waaaay more aggressive drivers compared to vancouver. But then again live in west coast is more relaxed in every way I think.