E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > April ToD Drives & Sharkfest (Long)

03-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
April ToD Drives & Sharkfest (Long)

Official Southeast Sharkfest (SESF) Dates 20-22 April 2007
Unofficial (NOT connected to SESF) ToD Drive dates 18-19 April 2007

Excepts from the Sharkfest Site located here: http://www.bmwsharkfest.org/

"Come join us for another fantastic weekend celebrating of one of the most timeless automotive designs: the BMW 6-series. The event will be held in historic Asheville, North Carolina during the famous Biltmore "Flower Festival." Spring will be in full swing and promises to provide Southeast Sharkfest with the most beautiful scenic backdrops ever. With easy access to the Blueridge Parkway and just a short drive from the natural wonders of the Smoky Mountains, Southeast Sharkfest 2007 will be sure to please both driver AND passenger!

Sharkfest allows owners of these rare and beautiful vehicles to gather in an atmosphere of common interest and discuss all things BMW (and many things not). In previous years, we have incorporated into the event vintage motorcycles and some amazing examples of BMW's finest designs. Registration is open to all types of BMW's, and we will probably have a display area for non-6ers, however the only vehicles that will be judged in the primary show area during the Saturday car show are the original e24 chassis 6-series (1976-1989) and the new e63/e64 chassis 6-series (2004-current). The vehicles will be divided by era, however neither will be excluded."

The 2007 event format will be slightly different from that of our previous years. Friday will begin with our traditional mountain drive. This year we have located routes with NO or MINIMAL traffic lights and very clear, concise routes to avoid any confusion that may have existed in previous years. In addition, we will be splitting everyone into groups of ten, separated by timed intervals in order to ensure a safe, separated driving environment for all to enjoy.

This year we have secured the Biltmore Estates as our venue for the Saturday show. At around 175,000 square feet, the Biltmore Estate is the largest privately owned home in the United States. The grounds includes a winery with wine tasting, a restaurant and an inn for any who wish to indulge in luxurys over a century old. Previous years' registrations have included a meal, however this year we will instead be including admission to the Estate grounds in the registration costs.

You ae invited to come and see all this fine hardware as well as participate in the activities I am spearheading below.

----------------

I am planning additional thrills around the Tail of the Dragon (ToD) since it is NOT on the drive list for Sharkfest. I plan two days on Wednesday and Thursday (18/19 April) morning as it is just a couple of hours away from where the expected main lodging for Sharkfest will be located in Asheville. Part of my purpose is also scout out additional driving locations and dining opportunities for our other BMW DRAGONSLAYERS annual assault on the ToD, held in October (those of us coming from great distances tend to plan well in advance ). PLEASE DO sign up now for Sharkfest if you plan to attend (at the site I included above), evemn though you will not be included in the judged part of the event. I have already booked room at Tapoco Lodge for the nights of 17 and 18 April. That is where we gathered last October to start our ToD drive. We try to make these things flexible so folks can pop in or out as necessary, so I never plan on everyone one doing every day or every drive activity. The Cherohala Skyway drive is normally scheduled to have Lunch at the Bistro by the River, about 55 miles from the ToD at Deals Gap. Right now only Thursday is planned for that run but if time permits we could possibly do that on Wednesday as well. Those of us traveling some distance will stay near the ToD and a couple of us are already booked in at the Tapaco Lodge. Others will chose to stay in Asheville and drive up to join us later in the AM. There are other digs close by as well. Cheapest room at Tapaco is $80 for the lowest rate but can go up if you want nicer digs. Can get all three meals there if you want. The Sharkfest drive is Friday and it is not on the ToD. Then we go on the lawn at Biltmore for the show on Saturday. I don't think I can stick around for anymore ToD after that

Link for Tapaco Lodge: http://www.tapocolodge.com/rates.html

They are closed now so if you need to make reservations I have a home phone number to the owners I'll provide via PM upon request. They open April 1st (or 2nd).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
I see two 335i's have registered for Sharkfest - members here ? Ryan and Dan from NC. See you there.
Appreciate 0