E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Negotiation Question

02-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
HVYWGHT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT

Garage List
Negotiation Question

I have only bought my MINI brand new and that was 2004 when there was still a waiting list so I paid MSRP.

I am currently debating turning in my 2006 325i (which I bought used almost two years ago) for either a MINI Countryman or a 328i Touring before we lose the wagon in the USA. If I have to order the Touring I want, is there still the ability to negotiate the price? With a couple options the true market value appears to be about $1500-2000 less than MSRP. Can I order it to my spec and pay less than MSRP?

Thanks.
-'12 BMW 328i (E91): Tasman Green, Oyster, 6AT; 6/12-4/17
-'04 MINI Cooper (R50): Indi Blue w/White Top, Black, 5MT; 1/04-
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
dryicerx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Of course! Don't ever pay MSRP... (you may have to try several different dealerships and sales associates to get the best deal). Look at edmunds.com to get a general idea of the invoice price (this is a good approximation), or hunt around the forum.

If you're custom ordering and if you're not in a hurry, why don't you do a European Delivery, save a lot, plus get a vacation. There are quite a few dealerships/ca's out there that will do $1k above Euro Delivery invoice pricing.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
tony176000
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

Definitely negotiate. Some people are not negotiators, or some people are just too rich to care, so if its not worth it to you to haggle over a few thousand, then don't. No pressure to be the next Donald Trump. But its really not that hard. Most salesmen are just as apprehensive about an agressive negotiator as you are about negotiating.

The bottom line: don't care about it and you already have the upper hand. There will be other cars, even if not the wagon you want, there will be other dealerships, etc etc. State your BEST price, go low, and if they won't budge, walk. I love to show up again and again looking at cars, driving and whatnot to get them thinking they have a sale, then disappear for a week or two. Once they call you, you have them. They want the sale as much or more than you want the car.

Example: $24,500 MSRP.
-Don't squirm, be polite and frank. "I am sorry, Rick, $24,500 doesn't work for me. Thanks though" Walk out.
-Once they call, go low. "$20,500 is what its worth, you have a sale at that price, Rick."
-Keep in mind your true walking number. If its $22,500, and he won't do it, WALK. Whatever the walking number is, stick to it. Of course, this implies you have done enough research to have a reasonable number. If your walking number is $15,000, you better wear walking shoes.
-Follow up call from dealer and you reply: "I said $20,500 and I meant it, Rick. What can you do to make this happen?"
-Haggle haggle, games games, but sure enough. 24,500k down to 22.
-"Thanks, Rick. Been a pleasure."
Really, there's no tricks. Being honest and assertive will carry the day. Plus this is a great place to ask what people paid for their vehicles and you'll have some heads up as what you "walking number" should be. Best of Luck!! Go get 'em tiger!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
BMWgolf
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Just make a reasonable offer...and tell them that another dealership made that offer and if they can beat it by a little bit more, you will sign on the dotted line. Quick and easy sale for the salesperson.
Appreciate 0