E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > rejecting car

02-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f45 218i SE active tourer auto

rejecting car

Been trying to do a search on rejecting a car to see if i stand any chance of rejecting mine, but every time the search only returns a 'FATAL ERROR' and no search results am i doing something wrong ?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
What's up with the motor and the story about your experiance.
      02-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'm guessing that using 'car' in the search topic throws up too many matches and hence the error.
      02-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Didn't really want to post the full story, but had to have a new Turbo at 1700miles+ missing on cold idle, was told there was a 'Puma' saying a mod was req. to re route some pipes under the engine and that would cure the fault after waiting two weeks for the mod kit to be available and be fitted ,NO change been 'IN' various times for the fault to be found [can't find any fault] only does it on cold days! and for the first few miles
Had to take the car in and leave it overnight ,get a lift into dealers Sat morning
to go out with a technician and point out the fault
Car is about 6months old and has now only done 2600miles in total it was supposed to be my last expensive car ,retiring in less than 2years,
a bit worried that when the warranty runs out it will only have done 15/18000miles maybe other possible faults will not have shown up by then ?

'
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights

Try that. Good luck.
      02-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
but had to have a new Turbo at 1700miles+ missing on cold idle, was told there was a 'Puma' saying a mod was req. to re route some pipes under the engine and that would cure the fault after waiting two weeks for the mod kit to be available and be fitted ,NO change been 'IN' various times for the fault to be found [can't find any fault] only does it on cold days! and for the first few miles.....

Car is about 6months old and has now only done 2600miles in total ...
You mean new turbo at 1,700 miles? Also, only 2,600 miles in 6 months? Not pointing any fingers, but is there the possibility you haven't worked the engine enough, through this cold winter, and it is getting sooted up inside. Short, cold runs, etc....?

Has the garage asked what use it gets?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

I'm on the iPhone at the mo so can't do chapter and verse, but I did it with an AUC vehicle.
There's some threads on here and elsewhere I can link to when I'm back at the Mac.
You really need a timeline or diary clearly recording all the issues.
Did you buy on BMW finance?
It may help if you did......
      02-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

No soot or any other running problems, this is the 7th bmw diesel i have had in the past 7years [sounds silly when you write it down !] my driving has not changed in that time i do as much driving as i can at weekends and have been working 48hrs a week for some time not leaving much free driving time,I only live 2mies from work, but have had no problems with previous cars
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
You mean new turbo at 1,700 miles? Also, only 2,600 miles in 6 months? Not pointing any fingers, but is there the possibility you haven't worked the engine enough, through this cold winter, and it is getting sooted up inside. Short, cold runs, etc....?

Has the garage asked what use it gets?

HighlandPete
That wouldn't break it that quickly.
      02-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't think a turbo should go that quickly whatever the driving conditions , anyway i don't rev it when its cold or even that much when its warm [old git]
i've worked on diesel engines for 45years [plant] including turbos, the amount of misuse some of the plant gets is unbelievable but i've never seen a turbo go that soon
ps i've not got BMW finance on my car
Bob
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
That wouldn't break it that quickly.
I agree it shouldn't, but I've been around too long to rule anything out.

Depends why it was changed, may not of 'gone' as we understand it. But the misfire when cold... duff injector... too much soot. There are possibilities.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The turbo was making police siren noises + engine ran like a tractor for the fist few minutes ,if an injector was faulty surely it wouldn't be limited to such a narrow range of conditions ? once the car had covered a mile or so the misfire went and it never occurred during driving or on the return trip even a number of hours later
Bob
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The turbo was making police siren noises + engine ran like a tractor for the fist few minutes ,if an injector was faulty surely it wouldn't be limited to such a narrow range of conditions ? once the car had covered a mile or so the misfire went and it never occurred during driving or on the return trip even a number of hours later
Bob
Could be an injector, but do wonder why the turbo turned to a siren? Wonder if it is something very unusual. Does it misfire most cold starts, after an overnight stop?

See why you are thinking of rejecting the car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

No, Pete, starts are always fine,no missing or any problems, its only after being driven for about half a mile [coincides with my first set of traffic lights] after idling ok for the first thirty seconds or so it begins to miss,although i cant hear the engine actually miss a beat the engine intermittantly shakes as if its not firing evenly ,it only happens on cold days,freezing or just above and after another mile or so doesn't do it again
I think its a programming problem [engine management] it cant seem to decide what to do between being fully cold and starting to warm up ?
Bob
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

Some info from my experience.....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=rejected

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...hilit=rejected

Quote:
Bit of a long winded story....
Dealer contacted BMW HQ who made an offer for a contribution to a change of car. Took two weeks for this.
Dealer not adding much except slightly better px price and waiver of private plate transfer fee.
I wrote to BMW MD, customer services and dealer principal to little effect.
Included log of issues, time spent at dealer etc.
Dealer said BMW had refused to up offer.
I wrote to customer services again expressing my displeasure .... And they virtually doubled their offer.
Dealer kept saying difficult to source car from other dealers, but I phoned one who would do it....
Eventually dealer had car come into their stock I liked, so deal done and collect on Tuesday.
Did you use BMW finance? I did and involved them too.
Basically, don't give up, keep pushing , they will try to get way with minimum.
Good luck if you give it a try...
      02-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
No, Pete, starts are always fine,no missing or any problems, its only after being driven for about half a mile [coincides with my first set of traffic lights] after idling ok for the first thirty seconds or so it begins to miss,although i cant hear the engine actually miss a beat the engine intermittantly shakes as if its not firing evenly, it only happens on cold days,freezing or just above and after another mile or so doesn't do it again
I think its a programming problem [engine management] it cant seem to decide what to do between being fully cold and starting to warm up ?
Bob
Ah, I understand. From what is happening I tend to agree, I also would suspect a sensor, or management issue.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Wouldn't be something like water in the fuel system?
When you fill up do you completely fill the tank? If not condensation can occur in the fuel tank if the vehicle is standing, other than that I'm out of ideas.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:05 AM   #18
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

It doesn't really matter what the cause of the fault is, fact is the owner has not had the car long, it's had major work done on it and it is still regularly in for repairs causing inconvenience and loss of confidence in the car and nobody knows what the real problem is.

Rejected.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:18 AM   #19
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Whilst I am sure it is unrelated to your fault with covering less than 5k miles a year isnt that more trouble than good with a modern DPF fitted diesel? You'd have been better with a 325i surely?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Couldn't afford a 325i ,wouldn't really want one, i like the torque of the 320d nearly 300 ft ib is some mid range shove!
Dealer is now saying the problem could be a characteristic of the engine/car
SPHEROIDS !
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:04 AM   #21
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Quote:
Couldn't afford a 325i ,wouldn't really want one, i like the torque of the 320d nearly 300 ft ib is some mid range shove!
Dealer is now saying the problem could be a characteristic of the engine/car
SPHEROIDS !
In that case, say give me a few days with another one so that I can see that for myself. As you say SPHEROIDS!

Something I did a few yeas back when I had a Peugot that had an intermittent problem with rough running was to record it on my dictaphone (shows how long ago!). Going into the garage and playing them a recording, they conceded there was a problem and were able to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #22
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Bigest problem is that the fault only occurs on cold days around or not too much above freezing , so its not easy to replicate as its now getting warmer
Appreciate 0