2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Reverse Camera Retrofit

02-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Reverse Camera Retrofit

I see this is available. its one of the options I didn't go for....good job as well as the list was getting ridiculous.

Anyway i'm now considering it as a retrofit but two things i'm unsure about:

1. is it exactly same system that would have been fitted in the factory?

2. does fitting it involve the local dealer techs removing a lot of trim OR is the wiring already there (or most of it) as part of the existing loom?

anyone know? had the work done? I don't really want to go for it if it involves the dealer removing too much trim as I just get the feeling it wouldn't get put back right...stupid i know.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
ukgthor
Rep
Drives: E61 525d Touring M Sport

I wasn't aware of this, like you I would be interested in a retrofit if/when available. What's the cost involved ?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
kel3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 528i

Its a great option to have I have top cam front cam and rear cam. Good luck with the retrofit!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
I see this is available. its one of the options I didn't go for....good job as well as the list was getting ridiculous.

2. does fitting it involve the local dealer techs removing a lot of trim OR is the wiring already there (or most of it) as part of the existing loom?

anyone know? had the work done? I don't really want to go for it if it involves the dealer removing too much trim as I just get the feeling it wouldn't get put back right...stupid i know.
So you didn't want to spend $350 when you ordered the car and now you went to spend at least triple to retrofit it? Doesn't make sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post

I'd recommend you trying it out on a demonstrater before you bother with it.
I have it on my car but, to be honest I don't really use it all that much, especially at the moment with all the winter road muck obscuring it very quickly. I much prefer to rely on the beeper and side mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
So you didn't want to spend $350 when you ordered the car and now you went to spend at least triple to retrofit it? Doesn't make sense.
my car was a cancelled order that was almost my ideal spec so i snapped it up and only had a 2 week wait from order to it being on my driveway. hence i didn't get to adjust the spec as when i put the deposit down the car was about to board a ferry bound for the UK
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I'd recommend you trying it out on a demonstrater before you bother with it.
I have it on my car but, to be honest I don't really use it all that much, especially at the moment with all the winter road muck obscuring it very quickly. I much prefer to rely on the beeper and side mirrors.

thanks for the feedback Jon. so the cameras become obscured pretty quickly then during the winter with all the road muck? might give it a miss then. I did try it on a demo and it worked well but that was ages ago in a clean car on a sunny day.

out of interest does the camera have a night mode? even my £150 video baby monitor has a night mode so i was hoping the reverse camera did as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

The camera is fantastic at night.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
kel3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 528i

I concur, works great at night and u can adjust contrast and brightness and you see fit...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

northernmonkey,

I would check with your dealer frist to see what they say. I suspect that adding the camera would be easy enough, but am not sure about the wiring and such. Normally, with most BMW's, all the main components or hardware for the stereo and such are located in the trunk, so if that is still the case, the camera wiring would likely stop there and not need to be routed all the way to the front of the car and to the screen. (That being said, there are a lot of dealers that just won't try a modification of this sort.)

Second, there are some aftermarket firms that are offering various upgrades and modules for our new car already. One is alekshop.com Look at their website and you will see that they have the backup camera. You will also see that their model fits in a section of one of the License plate lights, so no drilling or modification is required to install. I know nothing about them so you will need to investigate furhter if they are reputable or not. There is one other firm that I have seen with the light integrated as a part of trunk handle switch assembly as well. Cannot remember their name.

Either way, I really don't think you are stuck with not having the camera. BMW's are now modular and would guess that the only thing missing from your car that does not have it, to mine that does, is the camera assembly, the wiring that goes from it to the video module, and possibly a code that tells the system you have a camera.

As with anything, it will just cost some money and time, but would look at this from a standpoint of the incremental cost you would be paying over and above what it would have cost if you had been able to add this to your original spec sheet. I have to say that I do like mine a lot and along with the sensors, helps greatly on navigating the car whenever in reverse.

Good luck with the investigation.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
The camera is fantastic at night.
Yes it is, provided you deploy the lens cleaning device - otherwise known as getting out of the car in the snow/rain/hail and wiping the crud off it with a rag
That's why I prefer to stay dry and use the beepers/mirrors instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
bfv
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bajaj Auto Rickshaw

Northernmonkey,

Don't worry about cameras getting dirty...just try to get them on the car if you can. If dealers say NO, look at amazon.com...some DIY kits available if you are inclined.
BMW needs to put a camera on front bumper as well...helps me parking in tough NYC places! Best!

Last edited by bfv; 02-09-2011 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Here's my car with Alekshops retro kit. It's not three times what the dealer charges but with this option you also get the media player as well.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447576
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
bfv
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bajaj Auto Rickshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
Here's my car with Alekshops retro kit. It's not three times what the dealer charges but with this option you also get the media player as well.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447576
AWESOME
Appreciate 0