E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Do BMW deliver to local garages?

02-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE

Garage List
Do BMW deliver to local garages?

I am buying soon and have seen some nice cars but they are over 100 miles away. I am not too worried about going there to check them out but once I have bought them would BMW send them to a more local garage or deliver it to my house?

The ones I am looking to buy are at stratstone and there is a stratstone very close to where I live.

Also I am guessing they will not send it to their sister garages until you have bought it or at least put a deposit down?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Mine was bought from Sytner Leicester and delivered to my door in Cornwall. They took my old car back in px. Same with the Defender, bought in Croydon.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
If they operate within group like JCT600 do up here then yes, there's no reason why they won't bring the car to your nearest Stratstone dealership, but I would still say that even though they're all within group sales targets are what they are. You may find that one dealer will try and outbid the other on a deal. All good for you.

From my experience Porsche Leeds would 'take' a car from Porsche Sheffield (within JCT group) because I prefer to deal with Leeds. Same score, Hull Audi brought a TTRS over from Boston (again within JCT group) so I could test drive it for the day. They had the blue one in at Hull that I eventually bought, but they didn't know I'd actually buy that particular one as Grimsby could have got me one also.

If they know you're a serious buyer, then in all honesty I don't see any reason why they won't play ball.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Just ask them.

I bought a car from Stratstone Derby - 70+ miles away. It needed new number plates, but they would not allow Mercerdes Stratstone to do them for me even though the garage was only 5 miles down the road. On the sales invoice, the plates were £6.50 each, trade price.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

When I bought the R32 I went to VW Bolton as their website showed they had two in stock for sale at the dealership, when I got there they had both been sold and blamed the website operators for not updating it quickly enough. However, they didn't let me go and they scoured their group and national stock for a car that fit the bill.

They eventually found one to my liking but it was at Milton Keynes and not within their group but they still delivered it for me to their delaership for me to view prior to sale. To do that they did want a £500 deposit though but stated that if the car wasn't up to scratch then I would receive a refund. In the end I bought it but they were very accomodating overall.

I can't imagine why BMW wouldn't do it though but may also want a desposit for transporting a car pre sale.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE

Garage List
Thanks for the replies guys, the only thing worrying me about if they wanted a deposit is if I thought the paintwork or something similar was in poor condition then would I still be able to get that back??

I will have to try and go down to my local Stratstone and see if they can bring it over and what the situation is.

If I can save driving 200 miles then that would be even better!!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post
They eventually found one to my liking but it was at Milton Keynes and not within their group but they still delivered it for me to their delaership for me to view prior to sale. To do that they did want a £500 deposit though but stated that if the car wasn't up to scratch then I would receive a refund. In the end I bought it but they were very accomodating overall.

I can't imagine why BMW wouldn't do it though but may also want a desposit for transporting a car pre sale.
That was precisely how Stratstone did it with my M3 and also the 325 before it. £500 deposit against the car, if the description doesn't match or there's an issue then no-fuss refund, otherwise take the car and pay the balance.
      02-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiz View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, the only thing worrying me about if they wanted a deposit is if I thought the paintwork or something similar was in poor condition then would I still be able to get that back??

I will have to try and go down to my local Stratstone and see if they can bring it over and what the situation is.

If I can save driving 200 miles then that would be even better!!
Make sure in the deposit agreement it stipulates that if paintwork, interior trim etc isn't up to scratch then the deal is off. It was explained to me that the deposit was taken purely to differentiate the tyre kickers from the serious buyers and the saleman told me the only way they would refuse a refund was if you decided that you no longer wanted a manual/3 door etc etc.

The cars condition was and is not a means to reject the refund but make sure when you hand cash over and sign the disclaimer it stipulates that.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
malc1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 335d xDrive M Sport

Picked my 330 up from Stratstone in Chesterfield a couple of weeks back.

225mile round trip and I did it twice.

I would rather,I think check out the car at my own pace and have a leisurely drive back in it to get used to the car if the deal went ahead.

I paid a £200 refundable deposit over the phone to hold it until I could get up there.