E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Help - E92 CD Changer - North West

01-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
Jimmy1982
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 Series Coupe - M Sport

Exclamation Help - E92 CD Changer - North West

Hello all,

I have just installed the official BMW CD Changer with all the trim and it’s now all wired in.

I was just wondering if anyone has a contact at a BMW garage who will be able to code it in for me? I'm located near Preston in the North West.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M sport

Garage List
just get it done at the dealers.
i had an indy code mine in and it didnt work so im going to sandal huddersfield.
the cost is £78 but im also having all the latest updates on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Jimmy1982
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 Series Coupe - M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans320d View Post
just get it done at the dealers.
i had an indy code mine in and it didnt work so im going to sandal huddersfield.
the cost is £78 but im also having all the latest updates on the car.
I want to get it done at the dealers but they are quoting me £180.00!!

I have explained to them that its 1/2 an hours work but they say thats the going rate!! They have even told me they charge £98 per hour I know off wot people say on ere that the update / CD changer software only takes 30mins to complete!! Even the BMW official installation instructions quote the whole job takes 1 hour and ive already done the hard part!!!

Need local help, driving me bonkers!!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
i have bought a changer for my car and its going to the dealer for coding on wednesday.
I struck a deal with the service girl in which she is coding the changer,enabling the panic alarm on the key fob,enabling the halo`s to come on when i unlock the car and finally putting all the updates on the car which takes upto 4 hours and all for £78.

i will keep you updated
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Pyth_UK
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1982 View Post
I want to get it done at the dealers but they are quoting me £180.00!!

I have explained to them that its 1/2 an hours work but they say thats the going rate!! They have even told me they charge £98 per hour I know off wot people say on ere that the update / CD changer software only takes 30mins to complete!! Even the BMW official installation instructions quote the whole job takes 1 hour and ive already done the hard part!!!

Need local help, driving me bonkers!!
Hi Jimmy,

I just wanted to give you a view from the other side my friend. Firstly if you read the fitting instructions it states that installation time is approx 1 hour PLUS any additional time for programming/encoding. The normal time on programming is between 1 and 1.5 hours depending on spec.

This is because when you carry out programming it's not as simple as connecting the computer and pressing go!! Firstly you have to connect the diag computer and clear any faults. Then there is the programming setup including MOST connection and starting it off. Then there is (normally) a least one part of monitoring and switching ignition on and off.

Once programming has finished, you have to carry out another fault survey on the diag computer. Finally there is the final setup including.....

Initialising windows/sunroof
Correcting any discrepencies in the CBS service data.
Resetting the tyre warning
Setting time and date
Retuning memorised radio settings
Returning other settings to original ie Daytime Driving Lights.

There are other adjustments which can also sometimes be required. And this is only what's done when it goes OK !!!

I'm guessing the dealer didn't explain things too well to you

The chap who got quoted £78 for all that work has either been misquoted (lucky him) or looks like Brad Pitt (even luckier him)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
well my bmw dealer has just been on the phone saying they have to read the car with no changer and carry out the procedure as you stated and that they have under qouted me.
i will not know what work has been done till end of the day but i have mentioned the price quoted for the job required so will see what happens.

will update soon as !

maybe looking like bradd pitt may have helped.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I have rung the service manager at sandal bmw and he has looked into the issue of a bill for not doing the jobs requested and he has come back to me with a desicion.
he is now going to programe the cd changer which means wiping the ecu after backup and put the latest updates on the car then tell the car the changer is present and enable it.
as he has admitted the fault is with the service trainee advisor this will be done at the charge of £72 which was the billl originally i paid.
Good result in the end and hopefully a working changer and maybe a better car to drive with updates.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
mrwindymiller
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E60 535d M Sport

Have been quoted £91.99 for the changer to be coded at my dealer, sounds a good deal?????
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwindymiller View Post
Have been quoted £91.99 for the changer to be coded at my dealer, sounds a good deal?????
all updates installed on my car and changer up and running now for £72 inc vat.
Appreciate 0