E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Very warm transmission

01-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
TriX9zero
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i 6Speed

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Very warm transmission

As soon as winter came around I have started noticing that the center console and down is getting very warm. I have the heater off and after about 20min of driving its gets very warm. The hottest is where the drivers right knee would rest and the passengers left knee. Also the boot is very warm.

No modifications were done to the transmission and still on original clutch

Car has 111k miles
No CEL

Am thinking transmission oil change?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Oil change if there's any left. The only reason it would start get hot is that there's not enough lubrication.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriX9zero View Post
As soon as winter came around I have started noticing that the center console and down is getting very warm. I have the heater off and after about 20min of driving its gets very warm. The hottest is where the drivers right knee would rest and the passengers left knee. Also the boot is very warm.
Car has 111k miles
No CEL
If you want cooler mt trans temps go with royal purple max gear. Btw normal operating trans temps run between 195-212 F, so it will always be hot.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriX9zero View Post

Car has 111k miles
No CEL

Do you have the rear seat heater off? It is a common problem to have the center console hot when the rear seat heat is on. Uncomfortably hot to have your leg against it. I know you said you have the heat off, but the rear heat? I experience it all the time in the winter from 2006 until now. There is a TSB on it. Turn the rear heat off and it's gone. Start the drive with the rear seat heat off and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Armyfazer
Rep
Drives: 2007 Grey 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 View Post
Do you have the rear seat heater off? It is a common problem to have the center console hot when the rear seat heat is on. Uncomfortably hot to have your leg against it. I know you said you have the heat off, but the rear heat? I experience it all the time in the winter from 2006 until now. There is a TSB on it. Turn the rear heat off and it's gone. Start the drive with the rear seat heat off and see what happens.
Thanks for the tip. I just went out and checked my car. The rear heat was on. I will find out tomorrow if it helps!
Appreciate 0