E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Shiny steering wheel

01-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
teamadobo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i Xdrive

Shiny steering wheel

I know this can be caused by products you use in your hands. I have used Leatherique Prestine Cleaner but there still some parts that show shine.

I would like to keep the matte look. How do you guys keep your steering wheel in good condition?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

As you mentioned, it's caused by either lotion and/or oils from your hands. I'm OCD when it comes to steering wheel shine, so I intentionally don't use any hand lotion before driving. To keep it free from oils, I simply wipe it down with a damp (with water) clean MF every few weeks. 30k miles later and the wheel looks brand new, even where I usually grip.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Leather covered steering wheel

Steering wheels have an extra coating of protective finish on the already finished or coated leather. Perspiration and dirt are absorbed readily into the dry leather, and combined with the ultra violet (UV-B) radiation of the sun a chemical reaction occurs that degrades the finished leather. All of us have seen this wear on steering wheels

Using leather oil-based conditioners on finished leather may cause delamination from the leather substrate. As the oils will permeate the leather via the stitching or any micro-cracks in the surface, once oil gets between the urethane and the substrate it causes loss of adhesion (See also Oil and Oil based Products) Most manufacturer’s advice against using oil-based conditioners on steering wheels as it makes the surface slippery and could be dangerous if you lose control of the vehicles steering

1. Clean the wheel’s leather surface with a leather cleaner (Leather Masters™ Strong Effect Cleaner ) or a de-greaser (P21S Total Auto Wash) diluted 5:1 with warm distilled water in a spray bottle; dependant upon type and extent of soil or stain
2. For oil or grease stains use Leather Masters™ Leather Degreaser (check for colour fastness) this aerosol product is ideal for cleaning this type of stain as it dissolves the oils and transforms them into a powder that is more absorbent than the leather. This powder is what is wiped off, cleaning and degreasing the leather. Allow the white powder to dry fully. If the powder is drying to a yellow colour, it means that there are still a lot of oils in the leather.
3. Using a Medium / hard horse hair brush, or a soft sponge, spray and work the cleaner into a foam, lightly scrub surface and immediately wipe with a terry towel to remove excess moisture, especially around stitching (you may need to repeat this process).
4. Then use vacuum extractor or compressed air nozzle to dry
5. Once wheel is thoroughly dry apply Leather Masters™ Leather Protection
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

yeah I was going to say something like APC to break down all the grime and build up, then condition with leatherique for a no shine look. or 303!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

I use DP Interior cleaner on all hard surfaces probably every other wash. I also wipe down the steering wheel with it every so often and regularly use 303 on the wheel along when I do the dash and top door panels. Once you get it clean it's really easy to keep that way. I use the leatherique system as well a couple times a year just as maintenance for all leather surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

i'd take his advice too, his interior is pretty darn clean!!! I just maintain the outside!!! LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
usually caused by the oil of your skin
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
i'd take his advice too, his interior is pretty darn clean!!! I just maintain the outside!!! LOL
Yep once a year I need you to fix all the mistakes I make during the previous 11 months! One day I'll get the nerve to take the DA to the E90 with more than a black pad.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
arctic330i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i E90  [8.08]
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
I just wet a Mr. Clean magic sponge thing and soapy water and wipe it down. Works everytime
      01-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

I've got an extremely nice kit (Only ~$100) from Leather Doctor. It's got a 5-6 step process to clean and treat the leather. You could get away with just step 1 cleaning and fatliquoring, but I really suggest doing all of it as it really works wonders. This stuff is legitimate leather treatment....and I had wayyy better results than with Zaino Z10 or Leatherique.

Here's a picture of my steering wheel... you can see I treated the right side, untreated left side. It's truly amazing how much SOFTER the leather is too.

Here's a thread I made from the Leather Doctor's website. It's insane how 'scientific' the products are and how each one of them has their own specific ph level to match the intended result.
Attached Images

Last edited by BrianMN; 01-25-2011 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
._.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

whats the name of the kit you got from Leather Doctor?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

I got the Leather Doctor Kit SAc. It's based on semi-analine leathers. Basically you should get the kit that specifically fits your leather type, such as Novillo, Napa, etc. By far the best leather products I've ever used/seen.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #13
teamadobo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i Xdrive

Can you post a link to the product please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
I got the Leather Doctor Kit SAc. It's based on semi-analine leathers. Basically you should get the kit that specifically fits your leather type, such as Novillo, Napa, etc. By far the best leather products I've ever used/seen.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #14
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...orum/index.php

Leather master has a nice kit as well but frankly if it's only your steering wheel that has an issue that's lots of other products already named or by CG or PB that can clean and leave a matte type finish, 303 will keep the wheel from getting sun damaged. If you need to do the whole interior then the kits would be more cost effective IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #15
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...orum/index.php

Leather master has a nice kit as well but frankly if it's only your steering wheel that has an issue that's lots of other products already named or by CG or PB that can clean and leave a matte type finish, 303 will keep the wheel from getting sun damaged. If you need to do the whole interior then the kits would be more cost effective IMO.
re: The Leather Doctor kit-
In order to get my steering wheel as perfect and soft as it is now, I had to do all of the steps with each of the products/liquids. So in essence each of the products is necessary to do a perfect job. Could you get away with just using the prep 7.7 (cleaning gel), cleaner and fatliquor, but that's not going to give optimal results.

Also, I guarantee you won't stop at just doing the steering wheel. I ended up treating my whole front seats, armrest, door armrests, shifter boot, etc. These products, the hydrator and fatliquor particularly got rid of nearly all of the cracks on the outside bolster of the drivers seat. And that's a huge job for a set of gels/liquids to perform. My kit is nearly empty as I've used it so much.

As I said above, I've tried many of the other "One Step" leather products that simply put a topcoat on top of the leather. Essentially they don't work their way into the leather the way that the Leather Doctor system does. It seems the simple leather products give short term satisfaction and a nice fragrance, but if you want something that really treats and juvenates the leather, LD is the only way I know of to get real results.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #16
Colin.
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
I've got an extremely nice kit (Only ~$100) from Leather Doctor. It's got a 5-6 step process to clean and treat the leather. You could get away with just step 1 cleaning and fatliquoring, but I really suggest doing all of it as it really works wonders. This stuff is legitimate leather treatment....and I had wayyy better results than with Zaino Z10 or Leatherique.

Here's a picture of my steering wheel... you can see I treated the right side, untreated left side. It's truly amazing how much SOFTER the leather is too.

Here's a thread I made from the Leather Doctor's website. It's insane how 'scientific' the products are and how each one of them has their own specific ph level to match the intended result.
I have tried several processes on steering wheels and soap and water has had the same results. In a week or two the steering wheel is back to shiny again, and I prefer to wipe it down with soap and water to get the same results as a several step process.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #17
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
BMW have a product 83-12-0-413-488

Its for plastic, but the finish is the best i have used to date

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
BrianMN
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin. View Post
I have tried several processes on steering wheels and soap and water has had the same results. In a week or two the steering wheel is back to shiny again, and I prefer to wipe it down with soap and water to get the same results as a several step process.
LOL, are you serious? That's a hell of a justification. Have you wondered why it turns shiny again so quickly?

When you do something properly, the results last a very long time. I haven't touched my steering wheel or leather for 3 months and it is in perfect condition with zero shine. This is with driving a lot, 7 days a week, no gloves, oily/metallicy hands.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #19
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic330i View Post
I just wet a Mr. Clean magic sponge thing and soapy water and wipe it down. Works everytime
+1000. I've tried a bunch of different solutions and this is by far the most effective and cheapest.
      01-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #20
Colin.
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
+1000. I've tried a bunch of different solutions and this is by far the most effective and cheapest.
thank you
Appreciate 0