E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Cpo question to those that have bought

01-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
prez34
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BM-Dub

Cpo question to those that have bought

Hi

I've been reading the site and taking in as much as possible about the 335, and I'm on the serious hunt for a cpo.

I know that most of the cpos should have a bit of new car warranty left and then the cpo warranty would kick in

The question I had for the folks that had bought cpo, did you bother to take the car to a independent mechanic to check out or did you just bank on the fact that there is still new car and cpo warranty?

I'm battling in my head these points because if I was buying the car "used" I would for sure take it to a independent mechNic to get checked out. But the cpo warranty and new car is kinda negating that for me

What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Undies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

hey,

i didn't bring it to an independent mechanic. i just bought it, cause the warranty is 160k kms, and i bought it at 18k kms, chances are if there are problems it will happen within this time frame and it would be fixed under warranty.

however, i've heard some cpo cars were delivered with less than satisfactory amount of tire life/brake pads etc. it wouldn't hurt to have it done, but because my car was at 18k only, i knew it had minimal wear and tear.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
slenfe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

My recommendation is to treat a CPO car like any other used car purchase, I had an issue after delivery (same day) despite being well documented dealer declined responsibility, I had to escalate multiple levels in BMW for a resolution.
Always keep in mind car has a minimum levels to pass the CPO and the dealer will try to spend as little as possible to certify the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Bavfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

I agree with slenfe, treat it like any used car purchase if it's a higher mileage car. I just bought an 07 328i with 36K km. Mine was in very nice shape, lower mileage, so I did not get it inspected. I had a couple of issues, but warranty has taken car of them. For instance, I found the center console button to be sticky (being replaced under warranty) and the oil change was last done at 21K km. The selling dealer didn't do an oil change because it would have been on their dime, but my local dealer was more than happy to do it for me because it's a warranty item for them. Regardless of mileage, BMW will change the oil once per year.

But if you're looking for any additional leverage for negotiating the price of the car, get a 3rd party inspection and argue on every item they find deficient.

If they don't find anything you would have spent approx. $100 for an impartial inspection, but if they find some items, then it'll likely save you more than the cost of the inspection.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
+1 for the inspection, always a good idea
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
pdude
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i - Prem/MSport/AT

I think it depends on the mechanic that will inspect the car as well. CPO is pretty good, and covered most of my problems (2), as well as some good will from the dealer (1). But, some things will come up, and they will not be covered and your 3rd party mechanic will not be able to detect those at the time of purchase. It's a personal decision you just have to make, but I guess you can never be too cautious when purchasing a used vehicle. GL.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
icandie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

i got cpo. Bought my e92 with 14,000 kms on it. Ive had a few issues, but all covered under warranty, and none of which woudl have been picked up on by an inspection (i.e. the seatbelt presenters were a bit tempermental, so they were both changed under warranty; also the trim of the steering wheel started to peel, so it was replaced over a 1 year after i got the car).

the only thign id suggest doing is looking at things like scratches/dents on the body and tire wear. I didn't notice a dent on the rear pillar, which they should have fixed if i had pointed out. tires were also wearing unevenly due to a need for an alignment. alignment is something i'd push for next time. those were my lessons learned.
08 E92 Black Sapphire 328i / Cream Beige / 6MT / Sport / L7 / OEM Aero Lip / OEM M3 Rear Spoiler / OEM Matte Black Grills / Smoked Reflectors / MTEC H8 Super White Fogs / LUX H8 / H&R Sport / Breyton Race GTS

cream on the inside, clean on the outside ... i love my bmw
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I bought a CPO with 83,000kms on it. Never got it inspected. Less than a month later the battery died and the car had to be towed to the dealer. Dealer didnt want to replace battery initially. But after raising a stink, they replaced the battery. I'd ask to see the CPO insopection that the dealership conducted on the car. The values of treadlife left and brake condition should all be in the inspection. It also wouldnt hurt to take it to a third party. Inspections are cheap insurance.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
vantage_coupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335

I bought CPO without having it inspected but I was very happy with what I received. If I were to do it again I'd probably get it inspected since not everyone is as lucky.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
i didnt, because i am a mechanic and i know what im looking for.

win!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
chenx15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i/accord

what is the minimum requirement for brakes to pass CPO inspection?
Appreciate 0