ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
runnerx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M roadster; 06 330i 6spd

Help, need new track pads

Any suggestion from other Z4M track rats?

I don't want to spend over $200 on each set. I also need rotors soon, probably another 3 track days. I couldn't seen to find anyone makes slotted rotors for our car.

Thank you in advance!

2006 BMW 330i 6spd manual - gone
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--bIgrh8ES_s/TxSUCvOmDUI/AAAAAAAAPh0/OOjwrRZtta0/s912/z4mcomparo.jpg
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

You have to pay to play. There are no such thing as "cheap" track pad.

I bought a set of DTC-60s from Bimmerworld about 6 months ago for $175 ea axel. It seems the prices have gone up AGAIN. I used a set of Cobalt XR-3s before this, while the Cobalt had more initial bite, the DTC-60 was more consistent throughout the range of pedal movement. A few friends of mine use PFC-06es and like them a lot too. Outside of that there's really nothing I can really recommend for track use.

I've also got a set of RacingBrake 2 piece replacement floating rotors up front as well. It's worked well for me the last 4 years I've owned the MZ4 Coupe. Looks like it'll easily last another 2 years of moderate to heavy tracking (8-12 days a year). The first 2 years saw anywhere between 18-22 days on track a year. They don't have a rear fitment because with stock pads, the pads will come in contact with the rear rotor's fasteners (not good) but if you use a slightly different pad fitment than what is intended for the M3 caliper it'll work. Side effect of the more efficient front brake cooling has also extended the life of the rear rotors, although I'll still go through 2 sets of rear rotors for every front set.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
runnerx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M roadster; 06 330i 6spd

thanks Hack! Wouldn't those pads overkill for street tires? I probably still 10 trackdays away from r-comps. for now, I think any semi-hardcore pads will do. I am leaning towards another set of Ferodo DS2500 at this moment.

2006 BMW 330i 6spd manual - gone
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--bIgrh8ES_s/TxSUCvOmDUI/AAAAAAAAPh0/OOjwrRZtta0/s912/z4mcomparo.jpg
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I don't use these pads for the street. I swap pads out before each event (takes about 40-45 minutes).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0