E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Runflat prices in Aus

02-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
Neo JB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Runflat prices in Aus

I haven't yet had to replace my runflats but when I do I am not sure whether to get "normal" tyres or runflats again. I've read/heard lots of stories about runflats needing to be replaced, even for minor punctures that would normally be repairable. Also have read about a quieter/more compliant ride with normal tyres.

Anyone in Aus got experience with both and also any idea of how much runflats are? 17", 45 by 255 and 17" 40 by 225 (I think).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R53 MCS

i got quoted between 390-450 for runflats for my mini... and they were 205/45.

obviously i ditched them and have never looked back. got some dunlop sp sport maxx for 190. very very sticky tyre!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo JB View Post
I haven't yet had to replace my runflats but when I do I am not sure whether to get "normal" tyres or runflats again. I've read/heard lots of stories about runflats needing to be replaced, even for minor punctures that would normally be repairable. Also have read about a quieter/more compliant ride with normal tyres.

Anyone in Aus got experience with both and also any idea of how much runflats are? 17", 45 by 255 and 17" 40 by 225 (I think).
that's weird.. how can they be different like that? like a 40 and a 45? i didn't know they put tyres on cars like that...
      02-14-2007, 11:14 PM   #4
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
I have RFT on mine, cant remember what the code is but I got the 18" M Sport wheels. I drove to sydney for New Years and rang bridgestone (i think its bridgestone) to enquire about getting a spare/ costing for a new one and I was quoted $525 ea. BUT!! Could you believe, there would be a waiting period of a week for them to order one in. They dont carry it in stock as it isnt that popular yet. (thats for whole of Melb in Dec 06...sydney had 13 tyres in stock...go figure?)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Correct me if im wrong, but if we change the RFT to standards, will we have to alter the computer chip somehow? as it has features to show a pressure loss in the tyres if you get a puncture. Ive been advised not to by a few people PLUS, there isnt that much of a price difference a new RFT or a standard 18" tyre (maybe $50)... but thats for wear... not in the case if you get a puncture!! OUCH!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
Neo JB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

That's correct, but there is on option on the onboard computer to reset the computer with the current pressures (e.g. after you've had a flat).

BMWs aren't really special when it comes to tyres...The only downside to normal tyres on a newer BMW is that when you get a puncture, you need a way of repairing it! or consider buying a space saver spare and carrying that around in the boot.

I've heard non-RFTs make a big difference in lower tyre noise and ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
that's weird.. how can they be different like that? like a 40 and a 45? i didn't know they put tyres on cars like that...
E46 M3's come standard with different profiled tyres.

I'd get runflats again on the 335, they are a good bit of kit. The ride's noticeably harder but it's essentially a 4 up GT car anyway not and all out sports coupe so it's worth the trade off. Wouldn't stick them on the M3 though.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
Neo JB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Yeah, for example, my 162 wheels have 255 40's on the rear and 225 45's on the front.

Holy s&&t no WAY will I pay $500 for a tyre - if I am gonna be asked to part with $500+ for a tyre then end of discussion - I'm buying standard tyres!! I think you can buy P-Zeros for little more than that can't you???
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 11:26 PM   #9
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, for example, my 162 wheels have 255 40's on the rear and 225 45's on the front.

Holy s&&t no WAY will I pay $500 for a tyre - if I am gonna be asked to part with $500+ for a tyre then end of discussion - I'm buying standard tyres!! I think you can buy P-Zeros for little more than that can't you???
p-zero neros aren't even in the country atm... pirreli didn't ship any, and no one knows when there will be a nother shipment of them.. but yes, for a little more then $500 you can have pirelli p zeros
      02-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #10
Neo JB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I don't mind paying $500 for a tyre when you are getting a great product like the P-zero, but paying it because BMW "tell" me that RFTs are better is crazy.

Soz - I've got a big beef against BMW for RFTs. Car manufacturers have been able to put space-saver spares in cars for years without issue. RFTs offer ONE little benefit over this setup for a trade off in price, noise and durability (e.g. replace even if you get a small puncture). I've had one puncture in 18 years of driving so it's a hard sell for me!

And in Aus, such a small percentage of cars use (or will ever!) use RFTs that they'll always be harder to find and likely pricier.

Now, my next question is what tyre kit people use for their non-RFT fitted cars? any ideas also how much BMW charge for a space saver spare (for thos longer journeys)?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 06:09 AM   #11
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Why BMW don't give you a choice is beyond me. They try to tell us that RFTs are better than standard tyres- but guess (and if you're reading this you already know) what they put on their flagship M cars? They leave the damn RFTs in the garage.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm a bit scared to see how much my 19' RFTs will cost to replace...

Quote:
I don't mind paying $500 for a tyre when you are getting a great product like the P-zero, but paying it because BMW "tell" me that RFTs are better is crazy.

Soz - I've got a big beef against BMW for RFTs. Car manufacturers have been able to put space-saver spares in cars for years without issue. RFTs offer ONE little benefit over this setup for a trade off in price, noise and durability (e.g. replace even if you get a small puncture). I've had one puncture in 18 years of driving so it's a hard sell for me!

And in Aus, such a small percentage of cars use (or will ever!) use RFTs that they'll always be harder to find and likely pricier.

Now, my next question is what tyre kit people use for their non-RFT fitted cars? any ideas also how much BMW charge for a space saver spare (for thos longer journeys)?
      02-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #12
Neo JB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
Why BMW don't give you a choice is beyond me. They try to tell us that RFTs are better than standard tyres- but guess (and if you're reading this you already know) what they put on their flagship M cars? They leave the damn RFTs in the garage.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm a bit scared to see how much my 19' RFTs will cost to replace...
Probably as much as those tyres on the new Holden HSV! - can you imagine what an owner would say when they walk into the tyre shop, ask for 4 tyres and are given a bill for $3.5k!!!!!!!!!! Even a Ferrari owner wouldn't want to pay that LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #13
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Probably as much as those tyres on the new Holden HSV! - can you imagine what an owner would say when they walk into the tyre shop, ask for 4 tyres and are given a bill for $3.5k!!!!!!!!!! Even a Ferrari owner wouldn't want to pay that LOL
tyres that go on a ferrari are prolly a hell of alot more cos they get THE TOP tyre.... and prolly like 18-19 inch... =$$$$$ i don't think they would be worried about the price of tyres when their whole car cost about 100x more...
      02-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #14
Neo JB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
tyres that go on a ferrari are prolly a hell of alot more cos they get THE TOP tyre.... and prolly like 18-19 inch... =$$$$$ i don't think they would be worried about the price of tyres when their whole car cost about 100x more...
They are more expensive but not much more than 8 or 900$. Not sure about Aussie prices but in the UK you can kit out your Ferrari with a new set of Pirellis for around 4-5K which isn't much more than it costs to fit them out on a new Holden. They are quite low profile but moreso VERY wide...A guy at work tried to buy 350+ width tyres for his 'vette and had to import them because you can't buy them in Aus!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 10:01 PM   #15
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep

Garage List
WAAAH! I had bad luck once on my previous car which was a VT, and had 2 punctures in a week!!! What luck eh? But hey, $15-$20 fixed them each time and i was on my merry way.... unlike RFT... $500 later!!! WHAT THE!!!????

I bet ill probably jinx myself now ....
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 11:48 PM   #16
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They are more expensive but not much more than 8 or 900$. Not sure about Aussie prices but in the UK you can kit out your Ferrari with a new set of Pirellis for around 4-5K which isn't much more than it costs to fit them out on a new Holden. They are quite low profile but moreso VERY wide...A guy at work tried to buy 350+ width tyres for his 'vette and had to import them because you can't buy them in Aus!
was fu****... when i went to buy tyres, a 245 was cheaper then a 225... by like $100!!!! retarded...
      02-20-2007, 04:34 AM   #17
Neo JB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Hmmm...when I come up for new tyres, the RFTs better be within $100 a corner of the standards otherwise I'm ditching them...I'm not paying $500 for the privilege of being able to drive a bit on a flat and then another $500 because the puncture can't be repaired. I'd rather wait by the side of the road for BMW roadside assist.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 04:41 AM   #18
M3_GTR
Start of 2008, E92 owner!!
Rep
Drives: soon to be E92

Quote:
That's correct, but there is on option on the onboard computer to reset the computer with the current pressures (e.g. after you've had a flat).

BMWs aren't really special when it comes to tyres...The only downside to normal tyres on a newer BMW is that when you get a puncture, you need a way of repairing it! or consider buying a space saver spare and carrying that around in the boot.
I've heard non-RFTs make a big difference in lower tyre noise and ride quality.

yeh, what can you do about that?? there has to be another way!?!?!

Mods:
-Remus exhaust system
-Clear Front, side and rear lights
-M3 Spolier
-BMW cross-spoke rims
-lowered
-c/f trim inside
-BMW sports steering wheel
-Customized plate's...

in 8 months, E92 bimmer!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #19
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Runflats: Bridgestone RE050A (RFT) in 225/45/17 for $350 each when i checked in june 2006
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #20
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep

Garage List
yeah, price goes up when you got 18"s
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #21
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
and again for 19s...
      03-02-2007, 04:55 AM   #22
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
If anyone knows of someone who needs a new set of 16" runflats let us know, as i have a mate who has a brand new set (never used) as he got his 18"s off the dealer separately to get his new car under the LCT here. I think his after 1k for the set of 4, but it's open to negotiation... Let us know, if anyones interested
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0