E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Need Advice on Euro Delivery in Jan.

12-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
donpeak
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe,z3,540,328xi coupe

Need Advice on Euro Delivery in Jan.

Taking delivery on Jan.28 in Munich. 328xi with all season tires. Just
driving around Munich. 2nd euro deliery, but not in Jan. Do I need to rent
winter tires...available from EDwintertires.com or will 2-3" of snow be ok
with a 328xi? I don't drive much in snow except in oklahoma/colorado in 4x4 truck with winter tires and chains. this is first all wheel drive BMW for me so i don't know how they do in light snow,etc. with no ice. I have heard
Munich has lots of grit on roads every hour and snow blower/scrapers 24 hrs.a
day. Anyone ever drive in that area in snow / rain/mix?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

I do not have any experience driving in Munich during the winter months since my Euro-Delivery was during the spring but I can attest to the functions of the x-drive system.

I am currently driving on 18" Conti DWS (225 F, 255 R). Having driven with them during our last north-eastern winter storm I can tell you that the x-drive system with these all-season tires was more than sufficient. Keep in mind the Conti's are very much different tires than the stock 17" Bridgstones (which I believe you will be recieving) but I do believe you will have no issues getting through your ED unless Munich decides to have a snowstorm.

Winter tires are definitely the most secure option but I do have to say that if you plan on having some Autobahn fun while you are out there you might want to consider the speed rating on those winter tires.

Personal opinion, having done the ED thing already... call the Munich office and ask the people who actually live over there what their opinion is based on their January/February weather history.

Enjoy the trip!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
If you have seen the news lately you will notice that a lot of European countries are getting more snow than normal.

All-seasons with AWD is ok not great but better than summer tires. However if I think Germany recently passed a law that makes it mandatory if I am not mistaken. Their rule before was if you do not have winter tires and you get into an accident regardless if the other cars fault and if the other car has winter tires, it will be your fault.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

No need for snow tires in Munich. If you are going into the alps during the pickup period, then go ahead and rent the snows. Otherwise, the cities are kept very clear and the x-drive will be sufficient with AST.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
If you have seen the news lately you will notice that a lot of European countries are getting more snow than normal.

All-seasons with AWD is ok not great but better than summer tires. However if I think Germany recently passed a law that makes it mandatory if I am not mistaken. Their rule before was if you do not have winter tires and you get into an accident regardless if the other cars fault and if the other car has winter tires, it will be your fault.
That's not a new law, it has been around for a while.

To answer the OP's question, all season tire with X-Drive should be fine if you are a competent driver and familiar with driving in snowy conditions. My first European Delivery was in early February and I drove through the Alps with my 335i coupe on summer tires, some parts got hairy but I've lived in New England all my life and I've always had RWD BMWs with summer tires so I know how to handle the snow. Never bought a snow or all season tire in my life.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
That's not a new law, it has been around for a while.

To answer the OP's question, all season tire with X-Drive should be fine if you are a competent driver and familiar with driving in snowy conditions. My first European Delivery was in early February and I drove through the Alps with my 335i coupe on summer tires, some parts got hairy but I've lived in New England all my life and I've always had RWD BMWs with summer tires so I know how to handle the snow. Never bought a snow or all season tire in my life.
Let me tell you about Kitzbuehl over Christmas and a couple feet of snow in a 911!
OP - You'll be glad you have snow tires even with an x-drive if you get into the alps. But as stated here, a good drive with just the traction controls can do well in the 335. AST will certainly help so do what you feel most comfortable with. It is a NEW car and it'd suck to ship it home broken...
Appreciate 0