BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

impressions after test driving X3 35i

We will be putting an order in within a month or two…the test drive pretty much cemented that decision. The demo was black sapphire w/ black leather and brushed aluminum, and had the dynamic handling package, Navigation, rearview camera w/ over head view, convenience and cold weather packages.

It looked great in black sapphire - from every angle. It is bigger than the old X3, but still doesn't look as big as the old X5 (it looks smaller than it actually is to me). The interior is a huge upgrade from the old X3…it feels better/looks better than the 2007 e92 335i and e90 335x (my reference for most of the impressions of the X3) It feels significantly roomier inside also. The stereo was the standard BMW unit and it sounded OK, I would have wanted to hear the premium sound system to offer any feedback on the differences (it sounds comparable to the logic 7 in the 3 series, though).

The ride is excellent…didn't feel as firm as the e92's sport suspension or even the 335xi's suspension….even while the X3 was in sport+. There wasn't much of a difference in the X3's ride between normal, sport, and sport+ modes…I could tell a bit of a difference between normal and sport+(it wasn't huge, but I was the freeway for most of the test drive). While the ride may not have changed while in normal or sport, sport+ mode, the engine and transmission definitely change . The throttle response and steering response become much sharper and quicker. The throttle response seems to be better than the 335xi's in sport mode. If the non-dynamic handling X3 feels like the X3 with the dynamic handling in normal mode - you will most definitely want to get the option (dynamic handling - its that much better). The rpms jump a little less than 1000 rpms when sport or sport+ are engaged in the X3 - the 335xi does the same when in sport mode too.

The X3 35i is an effortless highway cruiser - they had the speed warning set at 75 mph and it was going off constantly during the test drive - and I wasn't really trying to get into it. I was in the 20 mpg range for gas mileage on the test drive even with heavy throttle usage One thing I did notice was that while in sport+ the instant gas mileage was 3-4 mpg lower than when in normal mode.

Someone asked about the seats - they seem to be a bit larger than the e90s and e92's sport seats. Similar controls as in the 3 series - and very easy to find a comfortable driving position. The X3 is a huge improvement - do yourself a favor and test drive one…I think anyone in the market for a crossover will come away impressed!
      12-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Jenaviv
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

What did you think of the electronic gear shifter? I'm not sure about it. I am not crazy about it on the steering column of the 2005 755.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaviv View Post
What did you think of the electronic gear shifter? I'm not sure about it. I am not crazy about it on the steering column of the 2005 755.
It was pretty easy to get used to. After a couple minutes playing with it, it was not an issue. I would think after a couple days, it would be second nature.
      12-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

It's not intuitive — same goes for the parking brake. I fault BMW for taking things that should be simple and standardized and substituting implementations that require training.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
It's not intuitive — same goes for the parking brake. I fault BMW for taking things that should be simple and standardized and substituting implementations that require training.

Its not that hard…really. Push the button for the parking brake, push the gearshift for reverse, pull for drive. If I can pick that up on a test drive…I am certain that I can live with it. You are making it sound like it is rocket science, and it is not - just need to recalibrate habits
      12-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
Its not that hard…really. Push the button for the parking brake, push the gearshift for reverse, pull for drive. If I can pick that up on a test drive…I am certain that I can live with it. You are making it sound like it is rocket science, and it is not - just need to recalibrate habits
Well, we all can learn how to do it. The point is, why do we have to? And what about the occasional driver? The new BMW slogan could be "Anders, ohne besser zu sein.." Or, in English, "Different, yet no better."
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 02:52 AM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Well, we all can learn how to do it. The point is, why do we have to? And what about the occasional driver? The new BMW slogan could be "Anders, ohne besser zu sein.." Or, in English, "Different, yet no better."
Au contraire, re the paddle shifters anyway: I found the paddle shifters easy to adjust to, quite intuitive and infinitely better than using the console stick for manual shifts. All of my other cars are fully manual (3-pedal) vehicles, so I'm used to driving with one hand on the gear lever, but the X3 paddles IMHO are "Different, and much better".

The electric/hydraulic, finger tip operated, power emergency brake, will however, take a little more to get used to. I really miss the hand brake lever, and think it's the most intuitive way for an emergency brake to be operated. Always thought the foot operated EBs on many American cars was the worst possible solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Au contraire, re the paddle shifters anyway:
I don't think anyone was questioning the paddle shifter functions. There are some things — the paddle shifters among them — that work more or less as one would expect. At least, until BMW starts tinkering with them again, as they seem to have done with the start/stop button.
Appreciate 0