E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Got a 2011 328i rental, not a fan...

12-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 C63

Got a 2011 328i rental, not a fan...

I dropped my car off at the shop today to get some bodywork done, and they take me to enterprise. My insurance covers 30$ a day and all they have is an impala and I told them that I REALLY didn't want that car. Out of no where the manager comes out a says she has a 2011 328i she can give me for the same price per day. So my face lightens up (i'll have the car for 2 weeks) and I take the 3er (btw i'm only 19 )

Anywho, The car is AW on beige (AW is gorgeous btw) with the value package and 17 inch wheels. I gotta tell ya the seats are AWFUL, don't know if it's because no lumbar and/or because they're not sport but they suck. However the ride is soo cushy. I ran over a pot hole i've hit many times in my sport package car the makes a violent jolt every time but in this car i barely felt it. I was rather amazed at the difference. I know people say the only necessary options for these cars is the sport package but I beg to differ. After driving this very base car (no sunroof, no power seats), I keep looking at G37's and IS's with envy thinking why doesn't BMW make simple little things standard like other makers do for the $$. The 328i was definitely not as slow as I thought it'd be but in it's most basic form I gotta tell ya the whole bmw handling and steering thing wouldn't be enough to sell me on this car. Now with a 6MT and some options this would be a nice ride but I don't expect a rental company to stock cars like this lol. That being said I LOVE the styling of the LCI and can definitely live with this car for a couple weeks while my babes in the shop. I'm also greatful i'm not stuck with some basic american POS that rental agencies usually give out lol.
      12-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
arctic330i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i E90  [8.08]
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Wow! You got lucky, and I know the hell you go through being under 25 and rentals... I have non sport suspension and I personally love it, its firm but not to stiff.
      12-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic330i View Post
Wow! You got lucky, and I know the hell you go through being under 25 and rentals... I have non sport suspension and I personally love it, its firm but not to stiff.
yeah I'm pretty sure the girl at the desk goofed up because they've tried to give me BMWs before when in for service and once they find out i'm 19 they give me something else. I usually have to fill out a 18-20 form too but didn''t have to this time. So it was prob by mistake. Anyway yeah other than the seats, I don't see the big deal about the sport package, the car isn't as flat around turns but it's not bad by any means. I can't get over the smoothness!
      12-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07E92TT View Post
yeah I'm pretty sure the girl at the desk goofed up because they've tried to give me BMWs before when in for service and once they find out i'm 19 they give me something else. I usually have to fill out a 18-20 form too but didn''t have to this time. So it was prob by mistake. Anyway yeah other than the seats, I don't see the big deal about the sport package, the car isn't as flat around turns but it's not bad by any means. I can't get over the smoothness!
Nice. I was once given a Cobalt when my G8GT was in for warranty work. I was like, "No thanks, I'd rather walk." haha

I drove the Cobalt to my father's company and parked that thing. Borrowed one of their company Yukons instead. It was huge feeling to me, but at least it had a V8 and was good at hitting things. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
ninesixtwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
other than the seats, I don't see the big deal about the sport package, the car isn't as flat around turns but it's not bad by any means. I can't get over the smoothness!
Had to drive my loaded E91 on a slightly rough and rutted disused road and I was surprised how well the suspension works. I'm surprised as well how much grip this car has on 225 all-seasons and chalk that up to the newer 1- or E90 3-series suspension. I find my seats are ok but they do have the lumbar. For people with longer femurs though I think the extending front cushion on the sport seats would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Quote:
I gotta tell ya the seats are AWFUL, don't know if it's because no lumbar and/or because they're not sport but they suck.
You're right. You don't know because that's not the fault of the 328i. Other than the performance aspect, all of the interior stuff can be configured the same in both 328i and 335i.
      12-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninesixtwo View Post
Had to drive my loaded E91 on a slightly rough and rutted disused road and I was surprised how well the suspension works. I'm surprised as well how much grip this car has on 225 all-seasons and chalk that up to the newer 1- or E90 3-series suspension. I find my seats are ok but they do have the lumbar. For people with longer femurs though I think the extending front cushion on the sport seats would be nice.
I went to click "quote" to ask if it was trap or skeet, but you've edited the post since then!? I always take my e92 to the range, whether our family range or a real one. My brothers will be like, "You sure you want to drive that back there, there's a lot of snow and mud?" I remind them that it's an XI and I pay my insurance bills! lol

OT: But, no need to censor out the shooting sports reference! Even Cali can enjoy the Constitution!

I like the sport seats, but I agree with your overall assessment. One complaint I have with the seats is actually firearms-related. There isn't enough clearance to bolt down a lockbox under the drivers seat. I liked having a lockbox under the drivers seat to leave a pistol in when you went into Federally prohibited places like a Post Office. The glovebox just doesn't give me enough confidence.

In the 3s there really aren't good places to mount interior holsters either. But, it should be on you anyways... (good topic for another forum)

Be safe.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
ninesixtwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
I went to click "quote" to ask if it was trap or skeet, but you've edited the post since then!? I always take my e92 to the range, whether our family range or a real one. My brothers will be like, "You sure you want to drive that back there, there's a lot of snow and mud?" I remind them that it's an XI and I pay my insurance bills! lol

OT: But, no need to censor out the shooting sports reference! Even Cali can enjoy the Constitution!
I was just trying to keep the post clean and simple. Sporting clays... I think it's neither trap nor skeet? Sounds like you would know better than I. I'm hooked... brother-in-law and father-in-law took me out and I managed to hit some clays nice and clean! Really great range/course too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
I like the sport seats, but I agree with your overall assessment. One complaint I have with the seats is actually firearms-related. There isn't enough clearance to bolt down a lockbox under the drivers seat. I liked having a lockbox under the drivers seat to leave a pistol in when you went into Federally prohibited places like a Post Office. The glovebox just doesn't give me enough confidence.

In the 3s there really aren't good places to mount interior holsters either. But, it should be on you anyways... (good topic for another forum)

Be safe.
Maybe you could bolt in a lockbox in the under-trunk space (aft of rear axle)? I suppose you want access in the car, though.

I do like the sport seats too and given more time and consideration I should've just ordered the car with the package given I also like the Type 286 wheels... and I will be getting summer tires at some point too!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
Want
YVR
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Monaco Blue

Yea, i originally wanted zsp only, but after driving the zsp zpp and logic 7 I fell in love. It's really nice to have all those little things and it also does make the car easier to sell in the long run.

Btw canadian cars come with sunroof standard, not the same in US?
      12-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
arctic330i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i E90  [8.08]
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
I found that after adding rear spacers, oddly enough I seem to have lost most if not all "body roll" from the non sport suspension. I love it now!
      12-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino45 View Post
You're right. You don't know because that's not the fault of the 328i. Other than the performance aspect, all of the interior stuff can be configured the same in both 328i and 335i.
I'm aware of this, this car doesn't have premium or sport so no lumbar or sport seats= very uncomfortable for long drives. (had to drive from jacksonville to orlando) I realize the 335i can also be configured to not have either of these options.
      12-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #12
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want View Post
Yea, i originally wanted zsp only, but after driving the zsp zpp and logic 7 I fell in love. It's really nice to have all those little things and it also does make the car easier to sell in the long run.

Btw canadian cars come with sunroof standard, not the same in US?
yeah, for a car i'll have a short time, not having these things isn't a big deal but if I had to live with it for several years it'd drive me crazy. People already look at me crazy when I tell them I don't have heated seats I could only imagine their expression if there was no sunroof or power seats lol. Your car sounds nice, it was so hard to find a 328i with Logic 7 when I was looking. btw the sunroofs used to be standard until 2010 or 2011, now it's a $1k option or included in the premium package.
      12-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic330i View Post
I found that after adding rear spacers, oddly enough I seem to have lost most if not all "body roll" from the non sport suspension. I love it now!
Yes, the best combination of a 328i (or any NA 3) is non-sport suspension with spacers, if only BMW lets us order just the sport seats as an option.
Appreciate 0