E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > GA car buyers - Ad Valorem question. Please help!!

02-12-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: wego

GA car buyers - Ad Valorem question. Please help!!

All,

I am being charged an extra $660 ad valorem by Nalley BMW on a 335i purchase made *after* the yearly birthday timeframe (back in 2006, when I bought the car) during which my yearly ad valorem fee is usually & should be assesed. Adrian Avila, my salesperson at Nalley, repeatedly assured me ad valorem wouldn't be charged and that my tag was on the way.

Instead they are now holding my tag, and now asking me for money ($600 + $60 late fee). This is with no warning, no calls, and after telling me they would send the tag to me months ago.

I purchased from Adrian (who has a reputation on bimmerfest, but has since left Nalley). Upon purchase, he assured me there would be no ad valorem charge until my b-day in 2007. In fact, we even planned the purchase dates accordingly in part to avoid this extra fee until the next year. Yet I am being charged, AND charged with a late fee that's their own fault caused by their huge delays!

I paid the tag fees back in September when I paid for the car, AND I still have no tag, and probably won't until March at the earliest, IF this gets fixed.

Qs:

1) What do you think should happen?
2) What do you think will happen?

All help / advice is greatly appreciated.

FYI - In my post here, I presented this question for Adrian.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom (Atl) View Post
Adrian,

Nalley made a HUGE mistake with me too. Obviously I went to you for your reputation, so I really hope you can help, as you were my salesperson on the 335i purchase.

As you know there have been huge delays in getting my tag to me.

Well, I just got a letter from Nalley. Instead of finally providing my tag, they are asking for a $660 ad valorem fee!

As I'm sure you remember, you told me no ad valorem will be charged this year, based on the birth date and date of purchase of the car. In fact, I'm sure you'll remember we made plans around these dates & facts.

Yet now they want $600 ad valorem + LATE FEE of $60. Even if I was supposed to be charged, they themselves caused the late fee by their contiuous delays in getting my tag to me!

I called up Nalley and verified that there is a 45- or 59-day rule in DeKalb, meaning you are not charged ad valorem that year if you purchase the car in said timeframe.

Obviously we were within this timeframe, yet they are mistakenly charging me. I just want to get the bloody tag finally. I'm amazed they were able to come up with a $660 bill instead.

Between the sales tax that was charged unexpectedly ($2800) and this ($660), I'm up to $3500 in surprise after-the-deal fees. Not so good.

Hope you can step up and help out! So many of your customers claim you are great at this! Anxiously awaiting your plan,

-Tom

ps. my temp tag expires Feb 17. This means I will need a FIFTH temporary tag, as I know that my tag won't get here before Feb 17. Sheesh...

Last edited by Tom (Atl); 02-12-2007 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
kevbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i, E46 M3 track car

Tom,

I have a limited understanding of this, but here goes.... I live in Cobb County, by the way.

When you purchase the car, you are charged sales tax, which is 6% in Cobb, but probably higher in Dekalb. When you RENEW your tag, you are charged Ad Valorum tax, which is based on the value of the car. This tax is in addition to the actual $20 tag fee, etc.

If your tag comes up for RENEWAL within 60 (59?) days of the purchase of your car, you should be exempt from paying Ad Valorum this time. You didn't include your purchase date and birth day in your post, but that is how I "think" it is supposed to work.

The fact that you have not received a tag yet at all makes it sound like the dealer has really screwed things up. At this point, I would recommend that you get all of your purchase paperwork together and go visit the county tag office IN PERSON. I've actually found them to be quite helpful in Cobb County, but your results may vary!

Hope that helps, and I wish you luck on getting this resolved.

Kevin