E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Does anyone else have a panic attack when behind a semi?

12-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 Space Gray 335i

Does anyone else have a panic attack when behind a semi?

Seriously, I never really did care in my other vehicles, but I already have a chip in the hood and in the windshield. It seems like my car attracts them, and when I get behind one or one pulls in front of me, I can promise you my blood pressure increases.

Anyone as neurotic as me?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
RaPiDneSs
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

i hate that and also when they cant keep their stupid semi on one lane. they have to eat a a piece of my lane as im passing them by.

BASTERDS. i too have rock chips because of semis.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
aretardedorange
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60

Yes...

Another pet peeve that I have when 2 semis are going the same speed in different lanes....wtf guys? STOP blocking traffic.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #4
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaPiDneSs View Post
i hate that and also when they cant keep their stupid semi on one lane. they have to eat a a piece of my lane as im passing them by.

BASTERDS. i too have rock chips because of semis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aretardedorange View Post
Yes...

Another pet peeve that I have when 2 semis are going the same speed in different lanes....wtf guys? STOP blocking traffic.
I tell this to everyone, drive a fully loaded semi and then come talk to me. I have driven one and it really is not that easy, and the one I drove wasn't even fully loaded. When a truck is fully loaded with 80000 lbs they are floored trying to pass the other truck but it just takes a few min to actually get by so chill out. And for staying in one lane, its not like a car and you can keep it in the lane with 1 finger. Go drive one and then let me know how you feel, those guys get no respect b/c people think its like driving a car.

I have exhaust and an intake...

Last edited by Bakeme521; 12-27-2010 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #5
hmmcolor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

^^^ +1

I always give semis plenty of room, and never pull in front of them in traffic. They've got a rough enough job as it is.
      12-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I drove trucks before and I couldn't agree more with bake, I respect them
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 01:13 AM   #7
qtrlifecrisis
Scenic Artist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

i respect them. if you don't like them, stop buying anything and stop eating. lmao
      12-27-2010, 01:26 AM   #8
ipark
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i

I think it is best to avoid them.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 03:10 AM   #9
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I don't dislike them for driving, just for kicking large rocks up on my car. So as with everyone else, I try to avoid them. I don't see why CA doesn't make a law to require them to have splash guards on their tires. I'd imagine that would prevent a lot of the rocks being thrown up.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Most roadways tell truckers to stay in the right lane but not everyone obeys the laws. It's completely ignorant to block both lanes because one truck wants to drive 1 mph faster than the other truck. Having driven truck/trailer rigs I do have respect for good truck drivers who respect other people on the roadways and who drive safely. Good truck drivers are becoming more rare that in the past however.

As far as following a semi and stone chips, I avoid them like the plague. If I can't pass I drop back 50 yards or more.
I drop back a huge amount as well. Some peple must think I'm nuts doing 50 Also, even if your in the lane next to the truck, I still get rocks thrown up on my car. The price we pay for being the most consuming nation
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 03:57 AM   #11
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
I dont drive trucks everyday, actually training for my CDL right now for work (i work for a municipality) to do some snow plowing when they need me. But after driving some 6-8 wheelers i totally respect all trucks now and give them plenty of room. I actually curse off cars now bc when they see a slow moving truck trying to get over to the right lane they think its time to speed past me on the right! I actually hope i give them rock chips as they do that
      12-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with a huge grin (E90)

I have plenty of respect for semi drivers as it's a job I would NEVER want to have. I just try to avoid them as best as possible because the amount of debris thrown from those massive tires is ridiculous. Anytime I see one it's pedal to the floor time and I pass them without a moments hesitation. No rock chips for me thank you very much! Although I actually prefer staying on the feeder roads rather than the freeways. Just as long as you have a radar detector get on the feeder and go highway speeds!! lmao
      12-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I try to keep my distance but sometimes you can't help it.

I hate driving next to semis. I always have a phobia of them flipping on top of me.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
PeteW84
COBB'ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mini Cooper S

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.56]
I've been driving big rigs for the past four years, mostly doubles for Fed Ex Ground. There are good and bad drivers, most of them bad. I consider myself a good one. As far as lane blocking goes most of you guys don't know that most truck are governed at 65mph, so it takes a while to pass other trucks. My biggest issue with regular drivers is when they stay next to me, or pass really slow. I usually cross the line on purpose, to make them stay away, or pass quicker. And last but not least driving a big rig is not hard all, it just takes some practice and getting used to.

13 Mini Cooper S
08 E92 335i (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
jonni44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: i8

You probably wouldn't have such a panic attack if you wrapped your front/hood in 3M vinyl.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
I tell this to everyone, drive a fully loaded semi and then come talk to me. I have driven one and it really is not that easy, and the one I drove wasn't even fully loaded. When a truck is fully loaded with 80000 lbs they are floored trying to pass the other truck but it just takes a few min to actually get by so chill out. And for staying in one lane, its not like a car and you can keep it in the lane with 1 finger. Go drive one and then let me know how you feel, those guys get no respect b/c people think its like driving a car.
Amen. It takes a lot of skill and the best truck drivers are the most thoughtful, careful drivers on the road. One of the businesses my family runs is a trucking company. It's local, aggregate hauling (mostly state contracts, etc) with about 30 triaxle dumps and a couple dump tractor-trailers. They are all kept pretty new (cycled out under a million miles) and serviced impeccably, so the drivers have no excuse but to live up to the equipment.

You gotta respect them on the road too. It'd be foolish not to. One of ours was hit by a guy head on in a Camry once. Truck was at about 55mph, the (ruled suicidal, poor schmuck even left a note at home) driver was doing about 120mph. Took the steering axle and tag-axle off the truck and the Camry was obliterated - largest piece was about 10"x10". Little pieces of the suicidal asshole were actually jammed up into the area where the oil pan was on the Cat engine. It was gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete84 View Post
I've been driving big rigs for the past four years, mostly doubles for Fed Ex Ground. There are good and bad drivers, most of them bad. I consider myself a good one. As far as lane blocking goes most of you guys don't know that most truck are governed at 65mph, so it takes a while to pass other trucks. My biggest issue with regular drivers is when they stay next to me, or pass really slow. I usually cross the line on purpose, to make them stay away, or pass quicker. And last but not least driving a big rig is not hard all, it just takes some practice and getting used to.
Pete, the part I bolded/italicized above makes me hope you lose your CDL and/or get fired before you hurt someone. FedEx Ground right? What's your full name? Not every soccer mom or girlfriend is aware enough to react to that maneuver. If they don't react and accidentally go under your drives or trailer, will you recount your little "scare tactic" on the witness stand? Just saying...

It's your (and our) responsibilities to operate vehicles safely and defensively - not offensively to induce or preempt a desired behavior from others. There are phone numbers that can be called if you witness poor driving.

my $0.02.... YMMV
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #17
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonni44 View Post
You probably wouldn't have such a panic attack if you wrapped your front/hood in 3M vinyl.
That and left the appropriate amount of space.

While you can never avoid all rock chips, you can minimize the risk by leaving plenty of room and passing quickly.

I always try not to be next to a semi. I hang back and wait until I can pass completely. Being in a truck's "No-Zone" is not a good thing.

http://www.nozone.org/supportingmate...neBrochure.asp
      12-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #18
T3X4S
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 MW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlomb436 View Post
Seriously, I never really did care in my other vehicles, but I already have a chip in the hood and in the windshield. It seems like my car attracts them, and when I get behind one or one pulls in front of me, I can promise you my blood pressure increases.

Yes, I get completely annoyed and worried about flying debris, so I either try to change lanes or drop way behind.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #19
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
I've driven through the night in a fully laden rig through northern Cali. several times. That's some white knuckle for ya. I always try to make space for the big guys during merging or lane changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Most roadways tell truckers to stay in the right lane but not everyone obeys the laws. It's completely ignorant to block both lanes because one truck wants to drive 1 mph faster than the other truck. Having driven truck/trailer rigs I do have respect for good truck drivers who respect other people on the roadways and who drive safely. Good truck drivers are becoming more rare that in the past however.

As far as following a semi and stone chips, I avoid them like the plague. If I can't pass I drop back 50 yards or more.
I will admit I get frustrated when they seemingly block the lanes. I know a lot of times this happens on slight grades. When you have a huge semi and you're using all the power you've got, the slight grade takes your juice away, doesn't seem like its difficult but most of those guys have their foot to the floor.
They're not apt to slow down behind a slower semi because it kills their efficiency (which equals dollars).

Dump trucks suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete84 View Post
Wow. You sound like a really smart guy bullying family cars with a 40 ton vehicle. Truckers like you I have no patience for. Tailing or cutting drivers off can be lethal with a truck that big. and if you're at fault you could be looking at involuntary manslaughter. Good call for the sake of impatience.

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport |'09 335d Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #20
Dankimbo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonni44 View Post
how well does that work?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #21
PeteW84
COBB'ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mini Cooper S

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.56]
Take it easy fellas, nobody is talking about killing anyone. If you ever drove a big rig for five minutes you would know what I'm talking about. I'm not tailgating, cutting people off, speeding everywhere kind of driver. I'm not crossing the line all the time, scarring soccer moms or senior citizens, although sometimes it is the only way. I grew up around trucks, my dad has been owning and driving trucks since early 80's. I know what I'm talking about, so please don't make me look like a bad driver. If so I suggest you go drive one, and report back...

13 Mini Cooper S
08 E92 335i (SOLD)

Last edited by PeteW84; 12-27-2010 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #22
DaveL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlomb436 View Post

You are not alone trust me...Alway's stressing when behind one of those rigs just waiting for a stone chip on my windshield!!!Keep the fingers crossed then drive by like a crazy man.
Appreciate 0