E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil Leak, 2006 330i

02-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Oil Leak, 2006 330i

Today, after about a 50 mile drive, I parked the car (330i auto, 6.5k miles) in the carport, when I left in the evening, there was a patch of oil on the carport, jsut below the engine, to the passenger side. Since it was getting dark, I didn;t get a chance to locate the possible leak; however I did put my hand under the engine (mostly everything is covered by flat, black plastic) but couldn't feel any oil/liquid. However, now that I think about it, there was a similar patch of oil, 2 days back, but I thought it was my other car (old, 137k miles) at that time. Today, without doubt, I could deduce that it came from the Bimmer, since hte other car has been parked on the street since Fri.

I am going to call the Dealer tomorrow; let's see what they can find out. BTW, the car did need a quart of oil at 5.5k miles. Will post an update as soon as I know anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
myfirstbimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

I had to add oil as well at 6000KMs, about half a quart. Brought it in to the dealer and they said it is normal for the 330 engines to burn a bit oil when it is new...

Actually, this behavior is similar to the previous versions of the 3 liter engines in the e46s...

35% Formula 1 Ceramic Tints, //M E-Brake handle, //M Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstbimmer View Post
Actually, this behavior is similar to the previous versions of the 3 liter engines in the e46s...

My ZHP burned a little oil initially.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

maybe the filter is not on tight enough
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a 3 View Post
Today, after about a 50 mile drive, I parked the car (330i auto, 6.5k miles) in the carport, when I left in the evening, there was a patch of oil on the carport, jsut below the engine, to the passenger side. Since it was getting dark, I didn;t get a chance to locate the possible leak; however I did put my hand under the engine (mostly everything is covered by flat, black plastic) but couldn't feel any oil/liquid. However, now that I think about it, there was a similar patch of oil, 2 days back, but I thought it was my other car (old, 137k miles) at that time. Today, without doubt, I could deduce that it came from the Bimmer, since hte other car has been parked on the street since Fri.

I am going to call the Dealer tomorrow; let's see what they can find out. BTW, the car did need a quart of oil at 5.5k miles. Will post an update as soon as I know anything.
There is a trap door in the flat black panelling under the car... the leak is likely flowing down the side of the engine when the oil is warm and down on to the panelling and then through the small gaps in the trap door.

Pop the hood and check around the filter housing to see if there is any oil there... if not, do you have a set of rhino ramps? If so, drive your car onto ramps, open the trap door and see if the bottom of the engine is wet or if the drain plug is leaking.

I have heard of some E90's having a poorly installed rear main seal... your car may be affected by this and you may need your dealer to replace it.

Taking the car to the dealer to fix this is a good bet if the oil filter isn't leaking... if it is leaking, get an appropriate sized strap wrench and tighten it up or get a tech at the dealer to tighten it up for you and add whatever oil your are missing... you may want to have an engine cleaning once the leak is stopped as when it gets hot you may start to smell burned oil inside your car
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Well, I have set up an appointment with the dealer; since the car is under warranty, I would rather have them take care of this

They are looking at the car this thu; I will post an update right after.
Appreciate 0