E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What areas on the side of the coupe are prone to stone chipping?

02-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

What areas on the side of the coupe are prone to stone chipping?

I live in the cinder belt. In the winter they apply EXCESSIVE cinders to the road. In the summer, they are always tar and stone chipping the local roads. It really sucks. Usually, I install mud guards as soon as I get the car. But I have found that the guards are not totally effective in preventing some areas from getting chipped up from the road debris that is thrown off of the tires. On my Audis, the small piece of rocker panel in front of the rear wheel was an area that was significantly chipped up even with the stone guard. Those with either an E46 or E 92 coupes, have you experienced anything like this. I'm sure many don't even have/like the mud guards. I was thinking of having a piece of Clear bra applied to the area most prone to stone chip damage on the sides of the car. Yes, I know that the front will be chipped as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe - SOLD

I haven't had any chips on the side of the car ...yet. Only the front end, hood and on the trunk when a rock cleared my car and landed on the trunk hood. I'm wondering if the front plastic pannels absorb the impact enough to prevent a chip ...or else i've been lucky so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
Rover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 series

ON THE FRONT: the Hood, plastic bumper, and headlights, ON THE SIDE: exterior mirrors, and the part of the fenders..ahead of the wheel well...especially that which flairs out ahead of the wheel well. I have first hand experience...from my '01 325ci.

I was told on my '01 ...that the plastic bumper was immune from chipping.
NOT!!

So you might assume the plastic fenders on the e92 are equally as vulnerable.

Last edited by Rover; 02-12-2007 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
OVRSTR
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nothing on the sides...only minor blemishes on the front of the hood just around the Roundel.
Appreciate 0