E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Trunk Pass Through Plastic Crap

12-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Trunk Pass Through Plastic Crap

So tonight I was trying to fit my skis into the car for a ski trip tomorrow. (working on getting cross bars so my Thule's can go up there) This is the second time this has happened to me. I tried to take out the plastic piece to allow objects to pass through. I lifted up the handle to try to take it out and it got stuck. The handle is now stuck open. Does anyone know how to fix this or had this problem in the past? Last time I had this issue I went to the dealer and they rectified it for me.

Basically the plastic handle is stuck open so I can't close the hatch....

Thanks guys and Happy Holidays!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
You're not suppose to take out the whole box. There's a bag inside that you slid your skis into. There should be a small coin sized black button at the top right. Push that and it will open the door and a bag will magically come out.

However, it shouldn't be getting stuck like you mentioned. Have you tried pushing the whole panel back in?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Where you going skiing? Hoping to get out next week. I have never had that issue with the ski bag and plastic holder

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
You're not suppose to take out the whole box. There's a bag inside that you slid your skis into. There should be a small coin sized black button at the top right. Push that and it will open the door and a bag will magically come out.

However, it shouldn't be getting stuck like you mentioned. Have you tried pushing the whole panel back in?
My car for some odd reason didn't come with the ski bag so I have to remove the plastic box. The coin size button opens a door that i keep my owners manual in. I've tried to push it in but instead it feels like it might break like a spring is stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThree View Post
Where you going skiing? Hoping to get out next week. I have never had that issue with the ski bag and plastic holder

Hunter, upstate NY. Stratton on Sunday, Hunter again next Thurs. Maybe Belleayre.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Ok so I took some pics so maybe you can help me out, apparently the newer cars w/ cold weather packages do not come w/ the ski bag. Nor is it an option I've seen. I would like this so if anyone has one and wants to trade? I'll pay shipping, of course after i fix mine.

The plastic handle is supposed to be lifted up which retracts the latch and the plastic pass thru is removed. The handle retracts flush and the latch extends. Mine is stuck where the latch is stuck open as the removal position. I've taken out the springs and the latch piece so the handle is flush.

Anyone have a clue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Brane Khaos
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 / 2004 e46

Did you ever figure out how to fix this? I've encountered the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
spanner1751
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M sport sedan

I have the fold down rear seats and there is no ski bag - only the empty cassette. The ski bag looks like an additional $150 option. I got my cassette stuck when I was inspecting it at the dealer when I picked up my car. I eventually got it put back in, but it took a couple minutes of fussing.
To answer your original question, I don't know how to get yours back together, but if it was mine, I would take it back to the dealer and ask them nicely to do it for me.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brane Khaos View Post
Did you ever figure out how to fix this? I've encountered the same issue.
Nope, I had a friend who had a leased 3 w/ the proper bag and before his lease was up I asked if we could swap, he said ok and I am incredibly happy w/ my ski bag! I didn't fix it, just threw it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner1751 View Post
I have the fold down rear seats and there is no ski bag - only the empty cassette. The ski bag looks like an additional $150 option. I got my cassette stuck when I was inspecting it at the dealer when I picked up my car. I eventually got it put back in, but it took a couple minutes of fussing.
To answer your original question, I don't know how to get yours back together, but if it was mine, I would take it back to the dealer and ask them nicely to do it for me.

Tom
Find someone on here and trade. My dealer reset mine too one time. I have no clue how to though.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
Brane Khaos
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 / 2004 e46

Thanks ! Good idea on trying to trade for one w/ a bag.

From what I can tell this one was not really mean to be removed.

I've found though that it fits well (and pretty securely) w/out the springs and black tab and is actually much easier to remove. That's how I have it in there and I just have the spring and tabs stored in my toolbox. I guess there is a slight danger of it flying out if the back armrest is down and I make a super sudden stop .... but the chances of that are slim.

Thanks again for the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brane Khaos View Post
Thanks ! Good idea on trying to trade for one w/ a bag.

From what I can tell this one was not really mean to be removed.

I've found though that it fits well (and pretty securely) w/out the springs and black tab and is actually much easier to remove. That's how I have it in there and I just have the spring and tabs stored in my toolbox. I guess there is a slight danger of it flying out if the back armrest is down and I make a super sudden stop .... but the chances of that are slim.

Thanks again for the help!
yep it does fit well, i had mine in there w/o an issue for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
Tommyudo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 6MT

Hi All, I know this is an old post, but I just managed to fix mine so I thought I'd post a reply as this was the first hit in the Google search I did. Basically, there is a thin plastic trim piece just above the button that is visible in the above pics. Pull this trim piece off and you will see the hinge for the handle that removes the whole box. The hinge moves on 2 pins that can be removed towards the outside of the box. To do so, I drilled 2 small holes in the closed plastic ends of the hinge opposite of the open side of the pins and pushed the pins out with the drill bit. Then you can re-assemble the whole works and snap the trim piece back in place. I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Anyone who wants a ski bag - PM me. Local pickup, or just pay shipping. I hated that thing - my kids kept popping the button and I was constantly having to refold and put it back together. I finally took the bag out.

Note - I only have the bag and retaining frame, not the entire unit. The bag should pop into any unit that does not have one. Dunno?

03-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #13
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGEE
Anyone who wants a ski bag - PM me. Local pickup, or just pay shipping. I hated that thing - my kids kept popping the button and I was constantly having to refold and put it back together. I finally took the bag out.

Note - I only have the bag and retaining frame, not the entire unit. The bag should pop into any unit that does not have one. Dunno?

Negative, those of us that don't have it have a totally different cassette; else i would jump on your kind offer!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #14
cplagz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 AlpineWeiss 3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
1986 BMW 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyudo View Post
Hi All, I know this is an old post, but I just managed to fix mine so I thought I'd post a reply as this was the first hit in the Google search I did. Basically, there is a thin plastic trim piece just above the button that is visible in the above pics. Pull this trim piece off and you will see the hinge for the handle that removes the whole box. The hinge moves on 2 pins that can be removed towards the outside of the box. To do so, I drilled 2 small holes in the closed plastic ends of the hinge opposite of the open side of the pins and pushed the pins out with the drill bit. Then you can re-assemble the whole works and snap the trim piece back in place. I hope this helps.
Thank you for this. I cut the inner end caps off with a razor blade and used a small screwdriver to push the pins out. Mine needed a bit of a hit with a mallet, the pins are slightly tapered so the first bit of the end you can see is tight getting out.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #15
sac1rmh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Avoid cutting off plastic caps, use knife in between hinges to slide pin out

I used a knife to slide the hinge pins out without cutting off the hinge end cap. I only needed to take one hinge pin out to slide the piece back into the slot. This is a poor design BMW if you are listening--as are your pop out cup holders that always seemed a little flimsy and get banged by knees all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #16
chetured
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3 SMG

Help - Battery Disconnected - Need To Remove Cassette To Get Into Trunk

How do I get that damn cassette out- cant access trunk , battery is disconnected !!

Any ideas?
(Jump/Boost doesn't work to work the trunk button )
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #17
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetured View Post
How do I get that damn cassette out- cant access trunk , battery is disconnected !!

Any ideas?
(Jump/Boost doesn't work to work the trunk button )
You can power the trunk lock from the fuse panel. You might find some better instructions, but this is the first hit I found.

https://youtu.be/pyjRqzv1cpA

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 03:18 AM   #18
magungo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac1rmh View Post
I used a knife to slide the hinge pins out without cutting off the hinge end cap. I only needed to take one hinge pin out to slide the piece back into the slot. This is a poor design BMW if you are listening--as are your pop out cup holders that always seemed a little flimsy and get banged by knees all the time.
Where did you put the blade of the knife? i'm having this issue and I can't figure out where to put the knife to move the pin out. Is it between the 2 plastic pieces?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 07:04 AM   #19
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

FWIW If anyone needs one of these things I have one I would sell from my 335 that I parted.
Appreciate 0