E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP! Car possibly not recognizing key fob

12-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Exclamation HELP! Car possibly not recognizing key fob

Yesterday I drove my car for about an hour, when I was ready to leave I tried to unlock my car using the key fob and nothing happened. Next I tried to open the handle of the car (I have CA) and nothing happened. I used the manual key and lock to open the door and get inside to try to figure out what was going on.

At this point I try to put the key in the slot to see if anything happens, and nothing. I try turn the dome lights on and nothing.

About 5-10 minutes later the car turns on and starts working again. After I drive home I go back to my car to get something and the same thing happens again.

This has occurred a total of 5 times over the course of 4 months. Once when I was completely stock about 4 months ago, once 2 months ago, and 3 times over the past two days!

Im thinking maybe the key is not being recognized by the car when im close.

I would like to add that after the car begins working again, I have to re enter the time and I get a message that says AWD and DSC has malfunctioned, but this message goes away when I begin moving.

I would appreciate any help on this subject, any tips or possible solutions to this would be greatly appreciated.

Also the key fob battery was changed after the first time this happened
Thank you e9x'rs
07 328xi Monaco Blue|Premium|Cold|Navi|CA|LLumar|Mtec|DDM|aFe|Ambe r-Gone|Rear Fogs|Bimmian|PY-Speed|OEM|e92-lighting|V1|BavAuto|Weisslicht|Cyba|Beyern|Falken| Sonic Tuning|ECS Tuning|JL Audio|Rockford Fosgate

Last edited by Cuba; 12-24-2010 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Change the battery in the CA fob. You are right on track in terms of time for the battery to have died. Non-CA fobs recharge -- CA fobs have a disposable battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuba View Post
I forgot to add that this battery was changed 4 months ago
Did the first incident happen before the battery change?
      12-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Did the first incident happen before the battery change?
Yes.
07 328xi Monaco Blue|Premium|Cold|Navi|CA|LLumar|Mtec|DDM|aFe|Ambe r-Gone|Rear Fogs|Bimmian|PY-Speed|OEM|e92-lighting|V1|BavAuto|Weisslicht|Cyba|Beyern|Falken| Sonic Tuning|ECS Tuning|JL Audio|Rockford Fosgate
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 03:36 AM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
I would like to add that after the car begins working again, I have to re enter the time and I get a message that says AWD and DSC has malfunctioned, but this message goes away when I begin moving.
This bit lends me to believe something is up with the CAR's battery or electrical system. Your fob is probably fine. If it was a communication issue between the fob and car, it would give you the error with the crossed out key.

And dome lights should work at all times. Even if you smash the window and turn them on. So....car issue, not fob issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Yes.
Did you make any mods to the car (electrical or otherwise) around the time when you first started having issues? Tint, suspension etc?
      12-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Did you make any mods to the car (electrical or otherwise) around the time when you first started having issues? Tint, suspension etc?
Right around the first time it happened the only thing that I had installed was LLumar tint. Since then the only mods that would most likely defect it is an AE and fog upgrade, but those chances are probably slim.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
This bit lends me to believe something is up with the CAR's battery or electrical system. Your fob is probably fine. If it was a communication issue between the fob and car, it would give you the error with the crossed out key.

And dome lights should work at all times. Even if you smash the window and turn them on. So....car issue, not fob issue.
One of my friends says its a bad ground. Not too sure though
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Your CAR battery is causing the AWD and and DSC malfunctions. When you disconnect the ground for your battery, your car will go through a system check of some sort when you re-install the ground.

This always happens after removing my ground....and obviously the AWD error is xdrive related. I'm not sure about if the non-xdrive models have the DSC error after a battery disconnect.

Check your cables. Make sure nothing is lose. Also get the voltage checked out....your battery may not be holding a proper charge. A good battery will hold somewhere around 12.6 when off. Anything under 12.1, you need a new battery.

But you can also try charging the battery with a tender.....before replacing.

In the event your battery doesn't hold a charge, certain systems will be limited. CA being one of them.

I've noticed a bunch of '06 and '07 models needing a battery replacement about now.....including me. I'm waiting for a braille lightweight battery to come in today.

I've been getting slow cranks and the only reason my car turns over is because of the cap for my audio system. My battery is holding between 11.5 and 12.1, off. And it will quickly drain from 12.1 to 11.5 when the car is sitting.

Last edited by fdriller9; 12-24-2010 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Your CAR battery is causing the AWD and and DSC malfunctions. When you disconnect the ground for your battery, your car will go through a system check of some sort when you re-install the ground.

This always happens after removing my ground....and obviously the AWD error is xdrive related. I'm not sure about if the non-xdrive models have the DSC error after a battery disconnect.

Check your cables. Make sure nothing is lose. Also get the voltage checked out....your battery may not be holding a proper charge. A good battery will hold somewhere around 12.6 when off. Anything under 12.1, you need a new battery.

In the event your battery doesn't hold a charge, certain systems will be limited. CA being one of them.

I've noticed a bunch of '06 and '07 models needing a battery replacement about now.....including me. I'm waiting for a braille lightweight battery to come in today.

I've been getting slow cranks and the only reason my car turns over is because of the cap for my audio system. My battery is holding between 11.5 and 12.1, off. And it will quickly drain from 12.1 to 11.5 when the car is sitting.
Thank you very much. The car is actually sitting at a local bmw mechanic, I will give him a call and let him know.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Change the battery in the CA fob. You are right on track in terms of time for the battery to have died. Non-CA fobs recharge -- CA fobs have a disposable battery.
The fob ALWAYS works when put into the dash. I experimented and drew that conclusion by removing the 2032 battery from my CA fob, and putting it in the dash.

Does one really believe that BMW would be so stupid that if your 2032 battery died, the entire vehicle shuts down? Uh oh, better not answer that.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:

I was at the dealership yesterday, and the SA (a new one, it was a dealership far from the city so the whole treatment was white glove) told me BMW will rarely replace a battery under warranty, and from her experience (she was like 25 lol), they should last 5-6 years. But the 5-6 does seem to be consistent with the forum....I was irritated because I thought mine might have failed 2 wks. out of warranty, but it's probably not the case. Probably was sitting too long and it was 20F, and I was running accessories with the motor off when I got the yellow batt. symbol.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
^ Try charging it with a trickle charger.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #14
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

bump still need some help on this. Car is sitting at a shop, hopefully will be getting a call tomorrow letting me know the status
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Bump. Still need help on this, car has been at mechanic for about a week now. Any comments appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

*UPDATE* - One of the cells in the battery was dead, so the battery was replaced, drove the car fine for a couple of minutes..

About an hour later I go to drive it again and nothing works, key fob doesnt unlock doors, I used the manual key to open the door and the dome lights do not work..

Please just throw out any suggestions on what you think it is..

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #17
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
*UPDATE* - One of the cells in the battery was dead, so the battery was replaced, drove the car fine for a couple of minutes..

About an hour later I go to drive it again and nothing works, key fob doesnt unlock doors, I used the manual key to open the door and the dome lights do not work..

Please just throw out any suggestions on what you think it is..

Thank you
Sounds like one of your sensors on the battery is faulty. Have the IBS sensor checked out.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like one of your sensors on the battery is faulty. Have the IBS sensor checked out.
Okay thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #19
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay so the car was working fine when i got back from the dealer... then I installed some HID fogs from DDM tuning but i did NOT do the capacitor trick and I had no error. Then i was going to uninstall them and i took off one foglight and the cars headlight turned on and everything started to work again.

is it possible that if i use a capacitor the car will not have any problems?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #20
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Okay so the car was working fine when i got back from the dealer... then I installed some HID fogs from DDM tuning but i did NOT do the capacitor trick and I had no error. Then i was going to uninstall them and i took off one foglight and the cars headlight turned on and everything started to work again.

is it possible that if i use a capacitor the car will not have any problems?
I really doubt it.....it sounds like something is shorting. If you get absolutely no power it has to be someone in the main electrical harness of the car and the first place I would look is the battery. Since you replaced it already, I would check all the components of the battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #21
Cuba
Cuba
United_States
Rep

car was at dealership... the junction box had to be replaced. Hopefully this is the final solution to this problem
Appreciate 0