E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > DTC/DSC cutting my power...

12-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
str8nm
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
DTC/DSC cutting my power...

I have posted twice here concerning a problem with my 2011 335is. Upon pedal to the metal hard acceleration, I lose power briefly until I back off a bit and press down on the accelerator gradually. I did some research and the cause, I think, is that the DSC (dynamic stability control) /DTC (dynamic traction control)couple is designed to cut power if it senses any forward wheel spin or lateral instability which is probably the case when you stomp the accelerator!!! Anyone agree with my conclusion? And that said, how the hell do you accelerate hard from a dead stop. From what I read,turning off the DSC is unwise and not a viable option.
      12-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
The DTC button works in two stages. Press it briefly and it will reduce the negative that you experienced - it will allow some wheel slip. Hold it down longer and it is all off and loads of fun - unless you are on wet/icy/snowy roads or driving really hard..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
PeteW84
COBB'ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mini Cooper S

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
The DTC button works in two stages. Press it briefly and it will reduce the negative that you experienced - it will allow some wheel slip. Hold it down longer and it is all off and loads of fun - unless you are on wet/icy/snowy roads or driving really hard..
^ yep.

13 Mini Cooper S
08 E92 335i (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Marcumac
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
You've pretty much got it figured out, if you want uninterrupted acceleration (with inevitable wheelspin) just hit the DTC button once. Hit it again to re-engage it. Personally I don't like turning DSC off, it just doesn't feel right, I wouldn't recommend turning that off unless you know what you're doing. I actually find it necessary sometimes in the snow to turn off DTC though to get the car moving, just don't forget to turn it back on once you get moving, made that mistake last winter and ended up on the side of the highway from the wheels spinning when I changed lanes.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

same problem for me... too much torque at 1900 rpm down low.

btw, how do you pronounce baton rouge? is it "bay tawn rouge" ?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
DPritchett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 528i

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcumac View Post
You've pretty much got it figured out, if you want uninterrupted acceleration (with inevitable wheelspin) just hit the DTC button once. Hit it again to re-engage it. Personally I don't like turning DSC off, it just doesn't feel right, I wouldn't recommend turning that off unless you know what you're doing. I actually find it necessary sometimes in the snow to turn off DTC though to get the car moving, just don't forget to turn it back on once you get moving, made that mistake last winter and ended up on the side of the highway from the wheels spinning when I changed lanes.
+1 ... based on some skid pad experience, while its nice to be able to recover from a spin, I'd rather not have to do it in normal wet or snowy weather driving ... and with DSC on, it was virtually impossible to induce a spin.

For winter driving, I do exactly the same ... hit the DTC button once to get going from a slushy start, and then hit it again to turn DSC back on.

2006 325xi |SG - Terra - Walnut | Steptronic | Premium Package - Nav | Zenon Adaptive Headlights | Blacklines; iPod Adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8nm View Post
And that said, how the hell do you accelerate hard from a dead stop. From what I read,turning off the DSC is unwise and not a viable option.
you need to modulate your right foot. if DSC is kicking in, you are giving it too much throttle. you need to learn how to balance it on the edge of adhesion.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
str8nm
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post

It is french for "red stick"
Down here we pronounce it baa ( the noise a sheep makes)-ton (2000 lbs)
while some pronounce it like the word "batten" as in "batten down the hatches."
I'm not french, so I don't know the proper french pronunciation but it is more like "buh-tun" with stress on the first syllable.
      12-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
str8nm
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
you need to modulate your right foot. if DSC is kicking in, you are giving it too much throttle. you need to learn how to balance it on the edge of adhesion.
Good advice, thanks.
      12-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
str8nm
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcumac View Post
Thank you, another problem for a this noob BMW driver ( two months ) to cross of his list.
      12-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
My535i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

I usually hit the button once when I want to drive semi-aggressively....and save full "off" for controlled situations. I have left it totally off accidentally and been surprised when pulling hard out of a turn with a swinging rear end which I then have to reel in ... the car behaves totally different when the dsc/dtc is off and you def need to get used to it both ways. I have shown my wife the difference and she basically will not touch the setting after seeing what can happen
      12-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by My535i View Post
I usually hit the button once when I want to drive semi-aggressively....and save full "off" for controlled situations. I have left it totally off accidentally and been surprised when pulling hard out of a turn with a swinging rear end which I then have to reel in ... the car behaves totally different when the dsc/dtc is off and you def need to get used to it both ways. I have shown my wife the difference and she basically will not touch the setting after seeing what can happen
Yeah it's definitely different with it off, but there are times I have to turn DSC off.... Too many times in the wet I've been absolutely bogged in the middle of pulling out on to a busy road, for what seems like an eternity. DSC can be crazy aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
My535i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Yup...I agree...it does pull power very aggressively. I guess what I'm saying is that you always need to be conscious of the setting you are in b/c it definitely does work and you might expect the car to do one thing and it does the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Yeah it's definitely different with it off, but there are times I have to turn DSC off.... Too many times in the wet I've been absolutely bogged in the middle of pulling out on to a busy road, for what seems like an eternity. DSC can be crazy aggressive.
      12-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by My535i View Post
Yup...I agree...it does pull power very aggressively. I guess what I'm saying is that you always need to be conscious of the setting you are in b/c it definitely does work and you might expect the car to do one thing and it does the other
I agree. The spirit of my post wasn't to disagree at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
Marcumac
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you, another problem for a this noob BMW driver ( two months ) to cross of his list.
Anytime! I'd rather you read it here than experience what I did last winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #16
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
I have posted twice here concerning a problem with my 2011 335is. Upon pedal to the metal hard acceleration, I lose power briefly until I back off a bit and press down on the accelerator gradually. I did some research and the cause, I think, is that the DSC (dynamic stability control) /DTC (dynamic traction control)couple is designed to cut power if it senses any forward wheel spin or lateral instability which is probably the case when you stomp the accelerator!!! Anyone agree with my conclusion? And that said, how the hell do you accelerate hard from a dead stop. From what I read,turning off the DSC is unwise and not a viable option.
I don't get why you need to stomp the accellerator on take-off. Keep the nannies on and drive like a normal person. The nannies are working great.

If you track your car, then take nannies off when you have taken advance driving lessons.

I think this advice will save your car, save your surroundings, save your life and save everyone else that will cross your path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post

In french we pronounce it Bahh (sheep) ton (deeper on the "o" no lingering on the "n") rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
what he said.
Appreciate 0