E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Road & Track review of the E90 335 March 07 issue

02-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Road & Track review of the E90 335 March 07 issue

Well, they like it.
5.0 0-60

Frankly, I am surprised at how low key the review is. And I don't understand why it was left out of the sports sedan comparison test in the previous issue. Curious.

Bits and pieces on some other interesting cars. The GT-R is looking good. The Lexus IS-F is an awkward beast, more like a pony-car with its heavy V8 and lack of balance. Interesting to see how the M3 stacks up -- but if I were BMW I would chop the IS-F (and RS4) off at the knees with a 335 zhp that would outperform it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Road and Track - 2007 BMW 335i (E90)

Yep

2007 BMW 335i
A perfect fit between the solid, reasonably quick 328i and the hell-for-leather M3.

By Douglas Kott • Photos by Marc Urbano

March 2007

If you're a golfer, you gotta love the gap wedge. Mine has 52 degrees of loft, and is good for about 100 yards barring any sort of operator error. It's called the gap wedge because it neatly fills the void between the sand wedge (80 yards on a good day) and pitching wedge (maybe 115 when the ball's sitting up nice).
Automotively speaking, BMW's latest gap wedge is the 335i Sedan, a perfect fit between the solid, reasonably quick 328i and the hell-for-leather M3. With a nice round 300 bhp and a like amount of torque from 2979 cc, it falls squarely between the 3 Series bookends (whose respective outputs are 230 bhp and most likely 400 bhp for the upcoming V-8-powered M3). And acceleration-wise, this latest sedan isn't far off the recently departed E46-body M3…our test subject clicked off a fleet 5.0-second trip to 60 mph, ripping through the quarter mile in 13.5. That's a fair fight with a Cadillac CTS-V.

More impressive than the actual numbers is the consummate ease with which this inline-6-powered BMW achieves them. The first forced-induction small BMW in the U.S. ever (the 2002 Turbo of 1973-1974 was never officially imported), the 335i uses tiny, low-inertia twin turbos working in parallel for the most lag-free acceleration and response we've ever experienced. With BMW's double VANOS adjustable timing for both camshafts, the near-instantaneous boost and a relatively high compression ratio of 10.2:1, that 300 lb.-ft. of torque is on tap from 1400-5000 rpm. “Ample bottom-end torque,” said one staffer, “yet dip into the throttle and it really comes alive, zinging to redline.”

Higher cylinder pressures demanded some extra strength, so instead of the 328i's N52 magnesium-clad aluminum block, the 335i's N54 block is straight-up aluminum alloy with cast-iron cylinder liners. It also employs the high-pressure, direct-injection fuel system first used on the BMW 760's V-12 engine, with piezoelectric injectors mounted centrally in the combustion chambers. This location allows for a nice uniform cone of atomized fuel, ideal for power, efficiency and cylinder cooling. The sturdier block, turbos, intercooler, piping, etc., do bump the N54's overall weight to 419 lb., 62 lb. more than the N52's, but BMW reckons a 4.0-liter normally aspirated V-8 making the same power would carry an additional 150-lb. penalty.

Many an excellent powerplant has been tainted by a clumsy shift linkage or other drivetrain annoyance, but the BMW gets high marks all the way back to the rear tires' contact patches. Clutch take-up is easily modulated; the ZF 6-speed manual's gear lever jinks precisely from gate to gate with a touch of trademark notchiness; and revs don't stay artificially high between upshifts. Drive this BMW hard with both its standard traction- and stability-control systems defeated, and one small fly emerges from the ointment-the inside rear tire can spin, owing to the open differential. It does take a lot of throttle, steering lock and lateral g-forces at once to invoke.

Small aberration aside, this chassis devours what the engine puts out, then asks, “May I have another?” Our test car had the optional Sport Package, with 18-in. wheels and Bridgestone Potenza RE 050A run-flat tires, with section widths staggered 225 front, 255 rear. Spring and shock rates are tautened accordingly, acting on a MacPherson-strut front suspension (worth a peek on hands and knees to see the slender aluminum lower links) and a multilink setup at the rear. Ultimate grip is a satisfying 0.90g, and the steering lives up to BMW's deserved reputation: it's alive right off center, effort ramps up in a natural way, and a finely measured amount of high-frequency vibration reaches your fingertips.

Handling precision is lost if the car's structure flexes too much as the “fifth spring,” and you can tell with the first door-slam kerchunk that this is one sturdily built piece. And it should be, as smallish openings for the rear doors and trunk, and rocker-panel sills that seem an inch higher than the competitors' are friends of structural rigidity. Throw it into your favorite slightly cambered, decreasing-radius curve, and these concessions seem petty. Steady-state understeer is minimal, mid-corner bumps don't upset the car's trajectory, and there are no surprises as you push harder and harder. It's the consistency of composure throughout the 335i's broad handling envelope that keeps the BMW faithful coming back for more.

Want to tighten your line? Jumping off the throttle with the chassis highly loaded is never recommended, but the BMW responds with lessened understeer and slight rotation, those big 255-width rear Potenzas anchoring the tail and limiting your countersteer efforts to only a few degrees. Or scrub off speed for those pesky hairpins or cloverleaf entries? Stopping distances are better than most, with 1-piston sliding calipers squeezing their pads onto generously sized vented rotors: 13.7 in. front and 13.2 in. rear. Pedal feel is firm with little slop, consistent with the other controls. Anti-lock is standard; and one novel feature is fade compensation that automatically applies the brakes harder as they lose effectiveness, with no increase in pedal pressure.

BMW manages this handling with ride comfort that's firm but in no way harsh, and with very little road noise considering the aggressiveness of the tires. And you can enjoy it in an interior that's not overly computerized. The dash is serious and sporty, adopting the broad, convex curve of the 7 Series from door panel to door panel. Gauges are plain, the speedometer cluttered with its dual mile/kilometer scales crowding each other. At least there's a nice oil-temperature gauge inset in the tach, instead of the useless “instant mpg” needle. Although wood trim is optional, our 335i had the “Galvanic” metal trim, which as the name suggests, has metal galvanically applied to plastic in several layers, then topped with a clear coat.

It's easy to get comfortable. The thickly padded 3-spoke steering wheel manually tilts and telescopes. A sturdy dead pedal as wide as your shoe is much appreciated. Controls for the dual-zone climate system and radio are straightforward knobs and buttons, with beady orange/red displays that match the instrument illumination. Front seats with adjustable side bolsters (also part of the Sport Package) are supportive in all the right places, and rear seats are a good, if slightly cramped, place to give a couple of adult friends a lift across town. For serious mileage four-up, take the Caprice.

And then there's the whole styling thing. Many on staff feel the 3 Series is the best-looking of all modern BMWs. Perhaps the “flame-surfaced” excesses of the 7 and 5 Series have cooled down to glowing embers in the 3. Less is certainly more here; it looks striking and nicely chiseled from every angle, although the big round exhaust tips frenched into the valance look more Japanese than German.

In all, the 335i Sedan is a pretty sweet package, starting at $39,395, that could set off a new era of turbocharged performance for BMW. Let's hope the Bavarian automaker doesn't repeat the mistake of that forced-induction 2002 of the early 1970s: It had reverse-type “Turbo” graphics on its front spoiler, designed to be read in the rearview mirrors of the car ahead. It's far better to have the turbos underhood, unannounced, quietly making power.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Well, they like it.
5.0 0-60

Frankly, I am surprised at how low key the review is. And I don't understand why it was left out of the sports sedan comparison test in the previous issue. Curious.

Bits and pieces on some other interesting cars. The GT-R is looking good. The Lexus IS-F is an awkward beast, more like a pony-car with its heavy V8 and lack of balance. Interesting to see how the M3 stacks up -- but if I were BMW I would chop the IS-F (and RS4) off at the knees with a 335 zhp that would outperform it.
It was tested on a pretty warm day, and maybe they would have had an easier time launching consistantly with a steptronic?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Here, for educational purposes only:
Attached Images

02-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Audi A4

under handling/balance they noted
"mild understeer"

I thought a 50/50 handing car thats rwd would have mild OVERSTEER?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
King Luis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

open diff has a factor on oversteer. also suspension setup factors are an issue as well.
great post.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

It'd be interesting to see R&T test figures for e92 335i.
      02-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
"mild understeer"

it's hard to get oversteer when u have big fat 255 tires in the rear. of course you can always induce oversteer by applying a lot of throttle but in general these cars grip so damn well, the general handling characteristic would be considered "mild understeer".
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
"mild understeer"

99% of factory cars are built to have understeer.

when the car understeers, the correct thing to do would be to BRAKE and try to regain control.

on the contrary, when the car oversteers, the correct thing to do would be to step on the gas and straighten yourself out.

now, if your average driver loses traction, is she gonna break or step on the gas? obviously, most people panic and blindly stop on the brakes hoping that it will save them.

thank god cars are built with understeer or else we'd all be dead.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk View Post
the solid, reasonably quick 328i
Such a nice thing to say, I like this Kott guy! :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

I agree with most everything in the review, especially the issues with the lack of a LSD. I'm still surprised that they didn't freaking rave about what an incredible car the E90 335 is.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Monaco E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
99% of factory cars are built to have understeer........

............now, if your average driver loses traction, is she gonna break or step on the gas? obviously, most people panic and blindly stop on the brakes hoping that it will save them.

thank god cars are built with understeer or else we'd all be dead.
herbz,
You're a sexist pig....I love it!
Nov 26th she has made landfall in NYC.
Now the wait for PCD begins! Scheduled for 12.21.07
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #13
m3rxn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: boosted Inline 6's

nice write up.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #14
emescopa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX

Quote:
I agree with most everything in the review, especially the issues with the lack of a LSD. I'm still surprised that they didn't freaking rave about what an incredible car the E90 335 is.
I'm with you on the conspicuous lack of coverage (and raves) of the 335i in R&T. I've been an avid R&T reader for years and they are generally fans of most BMW models. iDrive and design asthetics aside, they usually appreciate the BMW engines, driving dynamics etc. I don't recall R&T even reviewing the coupe, and this uninspiring review of the sedan makes me wonder when R&T will have a great comparison test that includes a 335i...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #15
SP330
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5

If someone were to buy a G35 or an IS350 over the 330i because they found the E90 underpowered, they certainly aren't enthusiasts.

What many people fail to understand is BMW corrected a problem that didn't even exist with the E9x.

Hence the covert review.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #16
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Good low-key review.
Definitely an LSD would thread onto M3 territory, which is why BMW left it out of the 335i.

Quote:
"mild understeer"

Sure you can get oversteer. Just gas it while going thru a turn with DSC/DTC all off, then get ready to counter-steer!

As others have said, all cars are designed to understeer at the limits because that is safer and easier to handle/control for the average Joe driver on the street. Even true sports cars like Corvette, Porsche, etc are like that with the traction control on. With it off, well, that's up to the driver who knows what he's doing...
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #17
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Well, they like it.
5.0 0-60

Over the years, R&T has always seemed a little more muted in their praise of BMWs than some of the other mags, although I think some of that is due to ineffective writing. Their articles do not read as smoothly as those form C&D, for instance. I do like that they put the tech details at the end of their reviews though.

I thought the Feb 2007 sports sedan was only of Japanese cars, no?
      02-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #18
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

Can't forget about the C&D test.
http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...35i-sedan.html
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 06:36 AM   #19
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I have a question...how come BMW likes 1-piston calipers so much?? Even the 8 cyl 5 Series uses that....seems like MB products have at least 4 piston on the fronts, and even some Japanese cars are now doing the Brembo-branded thing....
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #20
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
It was tested on a pretty warm day, and maybe they would have had an easier time launching consistantly with a steptronic?
Ha, if any of the hotshoes at C&D read your note they are ROFL.
But seriously, R&T also has skilled testers, they are usually more rational about the limits. No way they would be getting better times with step. I wouldn't mind buying a demo after R&T had had it for awhile. But I would have to think twice about a C&D long termer. On a cool day I would imagine R&T would have broken into the magical realm of sub-5 sec 0-60 times. But, for whatever reasons, they chose to test it on a warm day.

Maybe they were still PO'd that C&D had scooped them by 6 months or so.
FWIW, I have a subscription to R&T, but not C&D. Used to get autoweek, but I'm too busy to read more than one car rag, and glance over Roundel.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #21
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I have a question...how come BMW likes 1-piston calipers so much?? Even the 8 cyl 5 Series uses that....seems like MB products have at least 4 piston on the fronts, and even some Japanese cars are now doing the Brembo-branded thing....
In a brake test between these other cars with "Brembo" brakes or "slotted" sport brakes and the BMW with its one caliper, who usually wins? Exactly.

If it works, why change it? When manufacturers put the branding on their brakes its to try to appeal to the enthusiast buyer when they wouldnt have previously looked at that vehicle ie: Acura TL.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #22
HellFish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe

do they have a review like that for the coupe that anyone could post?