E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How can I not operate the defroster properly...

12-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 Space Gray 335i

How can I not operate the defroster properly...

This is my first BMW, as I've previously had Japanese cars which made it simple. I hit the defrost, and it turns on the AC and pumps cold air on the windshield, and always worked beautifully. Bought the BMW 9 months ago,and wehaven't had any crazy weather until now, and boy, my glass stays frosty and fogged for a good portion of the time when I have the windshield wipers going.

I hit the button defrost, it cranks out whatever temp is currently set on the climate control (whether it be 60 or 84), but it doesn't work all that well. To make things work, every time the blades come across the windshield, that just blurs everything even more.

I drove home for an hour trying all sorts of configurations including using the ac, adjusting temperature, cracking a window, and couldn't find one that did an awesome job. Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

I live where it's rediculous COLD and I just leave my HVAC in auto mode. After a little while heat is directed at the windshield to keep it defrosted. If it's not keeping up in auto mode, I hit the top "defrost" button like you said and it pours out all kinds of hot air on the windshield for a super defrost effect. The only thing I can think of is you may be using windshield washer fluid that is a summer blend and it's just flash freezing on your windshield? That's assuming there's nothing actually wrong with your HVAC. Good luck.

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

BMW's get foggy real easy... Don't know why =_= And it's supposed to be hot air to evaporate the condensation.
      12-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
the defrost button works for me just let it run for a little bit. If that doesn't work turn the ac on blast and open the windows
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Don't know this defroster seems to be the best I have ever had !! Super fast - just a few seconds and all clear. Never fogs up again.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep

Hmmm. Maybe the inside of my windshield is dirty? I never thought to check that. But every time those wipers roll over the windshield, which is just about every second, it blurs up. It's a new car, so the blades aren't bad or anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I noticed that having the AC on gets rid of the fog faster.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I noticed that having the AC on gets rid of the fog faster.
Yes that takes the moisture out of the air which you are seeing on the windshield as fog. That is one of the reasons that in AUTO mode the AC light is on all the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Harney View Post
Yes that takes the moisture out of the air which you are seeing on the windshield as fog. That is one of the reasons that in AUTO mode the AC light is on all the time.
Auto mode for regular climate? Or Auto for defrost? Maybe I should re-read the manual, because I remember my Acura it would defrost and keep the temp inside the car comfortable. If the BMW is gonna blast heat at me when it's already humid outside, thats gonna be a bummer.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlomb436 View Post
Auto mode for regular climate? Or Auto for defrost? Maybe I should re-read the manual, because I remember my Acura it would defrost and keep the temp inside the car comfortable. If the BMW is gonna blast heat at me when it's already humid outside, thats gonna be a bummer.
OK I did notice this morning that when I put on the defroster it automatically came out of AUTO mode. What I did not notice is if the AC condensor went off too or not. I will check again later and see. But I do know that when I just let the car do what it thinks is best it works VERY fast.

Edit to add: I did check this afternoon and the AC compressor does stay on when you go into defrost mode but it does come out of AUTO mode.

Last edited by Kevin Harney; 12-20-2010 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
Healey3000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, with 3 pedals

Quote:
This is my first BMW, as I've previously had Japanese cars which made it simple. I hit the defrost, and it turns on the AC and pumps cold air on the windshield, and always worked beautifully. Bought the BMW 9 months ago,and wehaven't had any crazy weather until now, and boy, my glass stays frosty and fogged for a good portion of the time when I have the windshield wipers going.

I hit the button defrost, it cranks out whatever temp is currently set on the climate control (whether it be 60 or 84), but it doesn't work all that well. To make things work, every time the blades come across the windshield, that just blurs everything even more.

I drove home for an hour trying all sorts of configurations including using the ac, adjusting temperature, cracking a window, and couldn't find one that did an awesome job. Suggestions?
Hi,

For optimal defogging, the A/C must be turned on and the temperature setting turned to hot. You are correct that on many Japanese cars, the A/C comes on automatically when you turn on the defroster for the windshield.

It's interesting that you find that to be a nice feature; I find it to be one of the most annoying and infuriating features on my wife's Subaru. In normal ventilation conditions, I like having the airflow management set to "defrost" simply because I don't like air coming at me from the vents (dries out my eyes). In the Subaru, I can't do that since there is no way to turn off the A/C.

In the e9x, I leave the airflow on "defrost" always and find it to be very comfortable.

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #12
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healey3000 View Post
Hi,

For optimal defogging, the A/C must be turned on and the temperature setting turned to hot. You are correct that on many Japanese cars, the A/C comes on automatically when you turn on the defroster for the windshield.

It's interesting that you find that to be a nice feature; I find it to be one of the most annoying and infuriating features on my wife's Subaru. In normal ventilation conditions, I like having the airflow management set to "defrost" simply because I don't like air coming at me from the vents (dries out my eyes). In the Subaru, I can't do that since there is no way to turn off the A/C.

In the e9x, I leave the airflow on "defrost" always and find it to be very comfortable.

Regards.
I guess the question would be, when your cruising around with the defrost on, what temp do you set it at? 60? 84? Or somewhere in the middle thats comfortable for you?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #13
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

No one brought this up, but are you using the correct defrost setting? The HVAC system has two buttons that direct air to the windshield. Looking at the HVAC controls, the top button on the left side with the arrow pointing up is for flowing air to the windshield when not in auto mode. The top button on the right is for windshield defrost. Hit that button and the system automatically directs air to the windshield at full blast (max fan speed).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I guess the question would be, when your cruising around with the defrost on, what temp do you set it at? 60? 84? Or somewhere in the middle thats comfortable for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
No one brought this up, but are you using the correct defrost setting? The HVAC system has two buttons that direct air to the windshield. Looking at the HVAC controls, the top button on the left side with the arrow pointing up is for flowing air to the windshield when not in auto mode. The top button on the right is for windshield defrost. Hit that button and the system automatically directs air to the windshield at full blast (max fan speed).
I think Entity might have hit it on the head here. When you are using Defrost I do not change the temp settings at all. Just hit the defrost button and let it do the rest until the windshield is clear and then hit back to AUTO.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
Jlomb436
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Harney View Post
I think Entity might have hit it on the head here. When you are using Defrost I do not change the temp settings at all. Just hit the defrost button and let it do the rest until the windshield is clear and then hit back to AUTO.
Yea, I always hit the defrost on the top right, but does it always use the same temp? I never check.

And maybe I'm crazy, but I never use or know how to use the Auto climate control feature. Worth while?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #16
qtrlifecrisis
Scenic Artist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

defroster should be air conditioned cold air to remove the moisture from the air, not warm/hot air.

so far mine is working great, but in the part of socal that i live in it rarely gets below 40 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #17
madeinhongkong
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Mine works great. The air is cold also to remove condensation.
Appreciate 0