E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 328i MYSTERY HEADLIGHTS

12-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
dhl945
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i cpe jet black

2011 328i MYSTERY HEADLIGHTS

Can anyone tell me how the headlights work on the 2011 coupe? The 4 'angel eyes' rings stay on as daytime running llights. The 2 outermost lights work as xenon high and low beam. The fog lights bwlow the bumper go on with the push button to the right of light switch.

My question is how to turn on the 2 inside lights next to the xenon? What is the trick to get it turned on? Has any of the new car owners have such issues at all?

I really appreciate some help. Even the service advisor at the dealership is stumped.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
The two inside lights are your cornering lights. They turn on to give you better illumination when you A.) turn the wheel left or right, or B hit your turn signal at a certain speed. Make sure your lights are set to Auto for them to work.
and for some odd reason they both light up in reverse.

I WISH they were some 85w halogens that were used w/ the highbeams for a lot of light and so ppl would know i'm flashing to pass/high beaming!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
The two inside lights are your cornering lights. They turn on to give you better illumination when you A.) turn the wheel left or right, or B hit your turn signal at a certain speed. Make sure your lights are set to Auto for them to work.
I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about the inner high beam, halogen lamps.

We have 2 sets of high beams.

OP pulling the stalk toward you enables the halogen high beams. They do not stay on unless you keep the stalk pulled toward you.....flash to pass.

Pushing away from you will activate the xenon high beams (which stay on without holding the stalk).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 01:30 AM   #4
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
He has an 11' coupe. It doesn't have Halogen high beams. The xenons are both high beam and low beam and flash to pass. There is no halogen lighting used.
You sure about xenons for the flash to pass? Flash to pass xenons are VERY ineffective if they are turned off.. usually a flash to pass is just a second or two long and is one or two flashes; not so great for a gas based lighting source that has to fire up and and takes a moment to initiate. My TL had them and I don't think it really worked; the new TL has halogens for high beams/flashing.

Bi-Xenons used to be all the rave but I think "f2p" with those systems ultimately leads to failure of the components because of the short on off on off sequences from flashing.
      12-19-2010, 02:58 AM   #5
///Mik3
gonna miss the M, but the wagon is sweet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
You sure about xenons for the flash to pass? Flash to pass xenons are VERY ineffective if they are turned off.. usually a flash to pass is just a second or two long and is one or two flashes; not so great for a gas based lighting source that has to fire up and and takes a moment to initiate. My TL had them and I don't think it really worked; the new TL has halogens for high beams/flashing.

Bi-Xenons used to be all the rave but I think "f2p" with those systems ultimately leads to failure of the components because of the short on off on off sequences from flashing.
When turning on the highs or flashing them, there is not another light that turns on. There is a sort of "shutter" in the lamp housing which opens up to allow the light to project higher/further.
      12-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

Isn't 'flash to pass' illegal? Contrary to what you all believe It's no longer allowe here in Germany in this day of aggressive driving...just sayin'
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Wasn't aware they changed in lci models.

^when ever someone flashes me to pass and is coming up behind me at a high speed I always slow down and create a rolling roadblock.

If you get close to me I'll move. If you flash mr I'll be a dick and create a rolling road block.

I can't stand when people flash me....Im going the speed limit. Not my problem you so impatient.

Waste your gas accelerating and then waste your brakes slowing down because I won't move.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
Isn't 'flash to pass' illegal? Contrary to what you all believe It's no longer allowe here in Germany in this day of aggressive driving...just sayin'
Yup, but I still do the turn signal trick.. that works as well... (I'm in Germany as well)
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mik3 View Post
When turning on the highs or flashing them, there is not another light that turns on. There is a sort of "shutter" in the lamp housing which opens up to allow the light to project higher/further.
Yea I know how they work I just think flashing xenons [if they are off] isn't good for the long term life of them

oh well
      12-20-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
dhl945
Rep

Mystery Lights

Thans for all the input!

I had thought those inside headlights were for flashing peopel to pass, like in the German autobahn. But I was wrong. For some reasons, the 2 outside xenon lights work instantly when you pull the turn signal stalk towards you and lit up righaway and need no warm-up. The xenon also turn themselves when cornering too.

So that left the 2 mysery lights that serve not function!

Any more diagnosis will be truly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 01:36 AM   #11
Wingman335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhl945 View Post

So that left the 2 mysery lights that serve not function!

Any more diagnosis will be truly appreciated.
Not sure if you followed the earlier responses, but the inside two lights are cornering lights. Try turning your steering when it is dark, and have the light switch on Auto. The light on the side where you turn the wheel will light up.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post

^when ever someone flashes me to pass and is coming up behind me at a high speed I always slow down and create a rolling roadblock.

If you get close to me I'll move. If you flash mr I'll be a dick and create a rolling road block.

I can't stand when people flash me....Im going the speed limit. Not my problem you so impatient.

Waste your gas accelerating and then waste your brakes slowing down because I won't move.
Flashing is not nice of course, though I don't think it is illegal in the US, but regardless holding up a fast lane not yield to faster driving cars is also not nice, when the slow lanes are available. It has nothing to do with whether you don't like others driving above speed limit or not, the traffic rule says you should yield to faster cars on the fast lane, not try to play a cop.

Unfortunately becauese of the speed limits, many people in the US have this false idea that holding up a fast lane is cool as long as they are above the speed limit. They forget the other rule says slower cars use slower lanes.

This is really a matter of courtesy even if one ignores the above rules. Because think about it if you have some reason to go very fast to somewhere, you would like others to yield the fast lane too, so when I am not in a hurry, I yield to others who drive faster than me assume they are in a bigger hurry than me.

Do to others what you want done to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
^ill move if someone is creeping up on me but I wont if someone comes flying up behind me, flashing their lights like they own the road.

I realize that I am required to move but I stay in the lane, blocking them, to annoy them. I'll move eventually but after I see that the driver has gotten my point.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #14
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:

In most every state the left lane on a highway is a passing lane, not for some ignorant driver to cruise along doing the speed limit or just under, blatantly ignoring those who are attempting to pass slower moving vehicles.

I am a firm believer that the criteria in the US for qualifying and passing a drivers test are way to easy, which explains why there are so many pig-headed drivers on the road that do not know the rules. In many other European countries not only is it extremely difficult to get a license but it is expensive. And because of this, generally speaking European drivers not only understand the rules of the road, but I have found them far more courteous.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #15
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Look I said i'll only block if the driver is being obnoxious about trying to pass me. Flashing me repeatedly is not going to make me move any faster. If the driver flashes me once, I get it, I'll move. But if your obnoxious about it.....I'll take my sweet old time.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Look I said i'll only block if the driver is being obnoxious about trying to pass me. Flashing me repeatedly is not going to make me move any faster. If the driver flashes me once, I get it, I'll move. But if your obnoxious about it.....I'll take my sweet old time.
It takes two to tango, so if you stay out of the passing lane unless you are passing another vehicle you won't have to worry about encountering those obnoxious drivers that more than likely find you equally obnoxious putting along in the passing lane.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #17
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Let me give you my last situation....I was coming home from school and in the left lane passing a car in the right lane. A car is coming up behind me going at least 110 because other cars in the right lab were flashing him. As I am passing the car in the right lane, this maniac driver is about 100 yards behind me and starts flashing his lights to pass me and it's not one flash....he kept flicking them until he passed me.

There Are 2 more trucks in the right lane I want to pass, going 75 already in a 55. This guy is still flashing me, so i decided to maintain speed with the trucks.

Im not going to move because of this impatient a hole.

1 mile down the road, a trooper is radaring, sees this guy weaving and tailgating behind me and pulls him over. If anything I saved him from a speeding ticket.

If that guy was in an emergency then he should have had flashed his hazards at me....not the high beams.

EDIT: I don't just sit in the left lane, waiting for people to taunt. Like I said the driver has to be really obnoxious.

Last edited by fdriller9; 12-20-2010 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #18
dhl945
Rep

Mystery Headlights

Wingman335. this coupe has the adaptive xenon healights that adjust the direction with the steering. So the 2 inside light does not work as turning low beam.

Someone told me it may work as the courtesy light when you unlock the car at night. But it's been raining at night the past few days I have not gone outside of the house after dark.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 07:26 AM   #19
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Whoever told you that is wrong. The two inner lights are your cornering lights, they work with both high and low beam. Your lights wills swivel, and the cornering light also turns on to give you a better view of say, a driveway you are turning into.
Wingman and GhostRideTheWhip are both absolutely correct in all of their replys in this thread concerning your coupe.

Don't listen to anything else.
      12-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #20
Wingman335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhl945 View Post
Wingman335. this coupe has the adaptive xenon healights that adjust the direction with the steering. So the 2 inside light does not work as turning low beam.

Someone told me it may work as the courtesy light when you unlock the car at night. But it's been raining at night the past few days I have not gone outside of the house after dark.
As GhostRideTheWhip and wrickem mentioned, those two inside headlights are intended to work as cornering lights. If you have your headlight switch on Automatic, and it's dark out- your inside headlights should light up when you turn the steering. This is in addition to the adaptive xenon lamps that will turn up to 15 degrees based on the steering wheel turn.

If your inside cornering lamps are not working as others mentioned, it could be malfunctioning.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #21
dhl945
Rep

Mystery Solved

Thanks to wingman and cssnms, I got the mystery lights to work as described by using the turn signal and turning the corner. Only one light will come on for the short time while cornering and it switches off very quickly.

WHAT A LAME IDEA FOR SUCH A SIMPLE TURNING MANUFER! IT IS HARDLY NOTICEABLE TO MAKE FOR SAFE DRIVING.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #22
dhl945
Rep

Problem Solved

Thanks everyone for the help. The dumb light does work with the turn signal and litght up when the steering wheel turns.

I am not sure if this is overkill in technology or not!
Appreciate 0