E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Consumer Reports 335i Reliability

12-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Consumer Reports 335i Reliability

335i placed 35th out of 35 Upscale Cars.
Specifically a -70 rating vs a +60 rating for Acura TL.
My Thoughts: If relability relates to cost -- The BMW NEW Car Warranty over comes this hurdle. The HPFP issue is most likely at the root of the low score. To date my 07' 335i has seen one problem where she spent a week at the dealership for a bad speed sensor and wheel bearing ~ all covered. Beyond that, I have had no issues in 45k miles. I often read that ownership beyond 50k is crazy expensive. Well - my previous experience shows that this is more of a function directly related to the maintenance schedule the owner follows. I do follow the Mike Miller "old school Maint" plan and look forward to my next 50k with my very reliable 335i.

Regardless the 335i is the absolute best car - each time I run through the gears I get a sense of confidence and general thrill -- this is a GREAT DAILY driver. THROW THE CONSUMER REPORTS IN THE GARBAGE - it is more of an appliance index -- the 335i is definately NOT!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

CR isn't exactly the most reliable when you understand their sampling method.

The responses come from their subscribers and there's the issue of confirmation bias.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

There's more wrong with these cars than just the HPFP. It's just that the HPFP is such a glaring issue that the other problems get washed into the background. The entire fueling system is prone to failure, there's carbon buildup galore, there have been plenty of people with electrical problems (many undiagnosable and recurring), rattling wastegates, and I've seen other off-the-wall-but-rare stuff like permeable blocks, rear main seals, transmission seals, and other stuff going on here. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but I don't really think I need to get into any more detail. You get my point.

I dunno about 35th out of 35, but it should undoubtedly place near the bottom. BMW promising to fix the HPFP every time it breaks is NOT an acceptable offset to the occurence of such a failure. Therefore, every HPFP failure, whether covered under warranty or not, is a failure and a strike against reliability.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
CR isn't exactly the most reliable when you understand their sampling method.

The responses come from their subscribers and there's the issue of confirmation bias.
Not entirely true. While consumer responses are factored, remember that CR also purchases each car anonymously for their testing. Granted, I'll bet their BMW didn't have an HPFP break down during testing, but their results are not based only on subscriber responses.

As it stands, the hpfp issue is a concern from a reliability standpoint when compared to other Lux car manufacturers. Even though BMW warrants it for 100k miles, it's still an inconvenience the consumer should not have to deal with.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
good! now i can tell my family/friends that i have the most unreliable upscale car in the Consumer Report
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Don't agree with the 335i being at the bottom but I do agree with the TL. Had a TL before my 335i and it was rock solid even after 60k.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Consumer Reports does have flaws, but I believe it. There was a great expose' a few months back on "the truth about cars" regarding faluts in the CR methodology. True Delta is an alternative that is in some ways better.

But, for the 335i, I belive it. This has been the best to drive and worst to own car I've ever had (CR shows very high owner satisfaction with the 335i BTW). In 42k miles, I've had...

-Vanos solenoids
-Cam Bearing ledge
-transmission leak
-long cranks
-faulty software introducing lag
-squeaky wheel syndrome
-overheating due to lack of oil cooler
-RF interference with the key
-a few other minor issues

I'm CPO, so I'm good for a while, but this along with all the electronic things that can go wrong, and the expense of simple things like changing the battery, give me pause.

Wonderful car to drive though.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
newowner35i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
There's more wrong with these cars than just the HPFP. It's just that the HPFP is such a glaring issue that the other problems get washed into the background. The entire fueling system is prone to failure, there's carbon buildup galore, there have been plenty of people with electrical problems (many undiagnosable and recurring), rattling wastegates, and I've seen other off-the-wall-but-rare stuff like permeable blocks, rear main seals, transmission seals, and other stuff going on here. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but I don't really think I need to get into any more detail. You get my point.

I dunno about 35th out of 35, but it should undoubtedly place near the bottom. BMW promising to fix the HPFP every time it breaks is NOT an acceptable offset to the occurence of such a failure. Therefore, every HPFP failure, whether covered under warranty or not, is a failure and a strike against reliability.
My friend had 2 failure and after the recall it was better he has done 70k on his 335 with no problems
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
chenx15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i/accord

before i bought my car i knew what i was getting into. i bought it for fun and not for the reliability.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
335i placed 35th out of 35 Upscale Cars.
Specifically a -70 rating vs a +60 rating for Acura TL.
My Thoughts: If relability relates to cost -- The BMW NEW Car Warranty over comes this hurdle. The HPFP issue is most likely at the root of the low score. To date my 07' 335i has seen one problem where she spent a week at the dealership for a bad speed sensor and wheel bearing ~ all covered. Beyond that, I have had no issues in 45k miles. I often read that ownership beyond 50k is crazy expensive. Well - my previous experience shows that this is more of a function directly related to the maintenance schedule the owner follows. I do follow the Mike Miller "old school Maint" plan and look forward to my next 50k with my very reliable 335i.

Regardless the 335i is the absolute best car - each time I run through the gears I get a sense of confidence and general thrill -- this is a GREAT DAILY driver. THROW THE CONSUMER REPORTS IN THE GARBAGE - it is more of an appliance index -- the 335i is definately NOT!
My 335i has been very reliable. I have had 0 issues in 30,000 miles but that is a sample of one. If CR determines that the 3 Series has below average reliability it does not make sense to shoot the messenger because you don't like the message. Consumer Reports reliabilty ratings are based on statistics that they gather and have nothing to do with their opinion of the car. Things like practicality, handling, fun to drive, great daily driver, etc. are totally irrelevant to their data. I think it is fairly obvious that the HPFP issue has skewed the statistics. As long as my car remains reliable I am not going to worry about what CR has to say but I don't think that their rating is based on anti-BMW bias or a lack of understanding of why people purchase the 3 Series.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-17-2010 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i (F10)

I'm betting this becomes a heated multi-page thread...
      12-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Consumer Reports does have flaws, but I believe it. There was a great expose' a few months back on "the truth about cars" regarding faluts in the CR methodology. True Delta is an alternative that is in some ways better.

But, for the 335i, I belive it. This has been the best to drive and worst to own car I've ever had (CR shows very high owner satisfaction with the 335i BTW). In 42k miles, I've had...

-Vanos solenoids
-Cam Bearing ledge
-transmission leak
-long cranks
-faulty software introducing lag
-squeaky wheel syndrome
-overheating due to lack of oil cooler
-RF interference with the key
-a few other minor issues

I'm CPO, so I'm good for a while, but this along with all the electronic things that can go wrong, and the expense of simple things like changing the battery, give me pause.

Wonderful car to drive though.
Of your issues, I've had these, and the selling dealership said:

-Vanos solenoids--car performing as designed
-long cranks--car performing as designed
-faulty software introducing lag--car performing as designed
-squeaky wheel syndrome--car performing as designed
-RF interference with the key--car performing as designed
-a few other minor issues--car performing as designed
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzbullseye View Post
I'm betting this becomes a heated multi-page thread...
Doubt this thread can beat the "Drove on ice with my summer tires today" which was 5 pages as of this morning
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Doubt this thread can beat the "Drove on ice with my summer tires today" which was 5 pages as of this morning
      12-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
True

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #16
carve
Major
Rep

Quote:
Of your issues, I've had these, and the selling dealership said:

-Vanos solenoids--car performing as designed
-long cranks--car performing as designed
-faulty software introducing lag--car performing as designed
-squeaky wheel syndrome--car performing as designed
-RF interference with the key--car performing as designed
-a few other minor issues--car performing as designed
Oh man- that sucks. My dealership has actually been very good about fixing everything but the lag issue. They wouldn't believe me, even when I told them exactly how to fix it and printed the TSB for 'em. They finally did though.

So...squeaky wheel is as designed, eh? Must be a feature to let people know your car is starting to move. You should make sure all the new cars on the lot do it, and ask the dealer how he's going to fix them if they don't.

On the good side, I think we've already had every common problem except the wastegate rattle and the HPFP failure. Water pumps are semi-common. Maybe the car is sorted out now.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Oh man- that sucks. My dealership has actually been very good about fixing everything but the lag issue. They wouldn't believe me, even when I told them exactly how to fix it and printed the TSB for 'em. They finally did though.

So...squeaky wheel is as designed, eh? Must be a feature to let people know your car is starting to move. You should make sure all the new cars on the lot do it, and ask the dealer how he's going to fix them if they don't.

On the good side, I think we've already had every common problem except the wastegate rattle and the HPFP failure. Water pumps are semi-common. Maybe the car is sorted out now.
The original dealership eventually fixed the long cranks. Then a new dealership fixed all the rest except the CA system not always working...the squeaky wheel the 2nd dealership serviced the front brakes (I could see it was done when I put my winter tires on) but it didn't help. At least they didn't charge me....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #18
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

My E36 M3 was in the shop once for warranty repairs. I have a thick file on the 335 already...

If it has to go back in again, I'm gettin' one of these:

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok View Post
good! now i can tell my family/friends that i have the most unreliable upscale car in the Consumer Report
It's not every day that you get to brag.........

Doesn't seem like an issue to me; it's like buying a bad stock; you don't truly lose anything until you sell. Unfortunately, if you have to qualify for a loan, I am sure the bank is reducing the value too. This is what happens when the vendor doesn't listen to the customer. Consumer Reports actually nailed the car hard in 2009, so those buyers were probable to get a discounted buy (no big money loss...anyone who did their homework shouldn't have paid full price in general)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
My E36 M3 was in the shop once for warranty repairs. I have a thick file on the 335 already...

If it has to go back in again, I'm gettin' one of these:

That's a pimp ride; I want one with bluetooth..........
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #21
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I have had few minor issues with wind noise from the rim less doors, brakes squealing, creaking noise from the rear seats center stack and B pillars, as well as day time running lights going out and my i-drive jamming up with SOS malfunction.

But to BMW's credit all of these issues have been taken care of under warranty. Knock on wood I have not had any hpfp issues so far. I do however feel that BMW needs to pay greater attention to reliability as there sales keep climbing.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #22
Fisch
Private
Rep

I bought my car as a CPO in July 2010 with 20,000 miles. So far it's spent 3 and 1/2 weeks at the dealership and I've been there 5 times. Main reason is wastegate rattle (2 1/2 weeks) auto dimming mirror not working (so far 1 week still at the dealership). Hasn't left me stranded or affected performance, but a higher end car should not have that horrible rattle sound or mirrors that don't dim!
Appreciate 0