E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Winter Floor Mat Anchors

12-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
PTinVT
armchair enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 340xi, 02 325Cic, 93 850Ci

Winter Floor Mat Anchors

There are lots of threads about which winter mats to get, but I have what I believe are one of the OEM sets - but I can't readily secure the driver mat.

Mine were just lying on the floor with no anchors when I got the car. I asked Tischer about it and they threw a couple anchors in when I ordered something else. Both winter anchors I got have an L-shaped hook on top (to go through the hole in the mat and stop it from traveling forward); one has a screw footing, the other has T-shaped footing.

My mat says "BMW" in the middle and on the back says "Manufactured by Macneil" with a part number 2024. The left side anchor hole lines up perfectly with the hole in the floor, I switch the anchor from the summer (screw on the bottom, velcro circle on top) with the screw-foot winter anchor, it fits and holds it perfectly on the left side. Anchoring only the left side, however, lets the mat spin counter-clockwise with normal driving such that I start catching the back left edge of the mat with my clutch, as the clutch comes up. The mat doesn't stay put and I'm constantly reaching down to pull the rear right corner back.

The right anchor hole is over an inch away from the summer anchor hole, it's on the summer anchor "hole line" but way to the right. I poked at the carpet, not too hard, but don't find/see any other pilot holes near the winter mat right anchor hole. (see picture, the screwdriver is in the existing summer anchor hole to show the relative L/R position).

How is this mat supposed to be anchored on the right? Do I need to drill a new anchor hole in the floor? Do I use a T-foot anchor on one side and a screw-foot anchor on the other side, or do I need a second screw-foot anchor?

thanks guys.
Attached Images

'71 Buick Riviera, 455 V8 land yacht
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Hoog_23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i/535i

Dealer told me they didn't exist but i had some anchors on a loaner 335d.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTinVT View Post
There are lots of threads about which winter mats to get, but I have what I believe are one of the OEM sets - but I can't readily secure the driver mat.

Mine were just lying on the floor with no anchors when I got the car. I asked Tischer about it and they threw a couple anchors in when I ordered something else. Both winter anchors I got have an L-shaped hook on top (to go through the hole in the mat and stop it from traveling forward); one has a screw footing, the other has T-shaped footing.

My mat says "BMW" in the middle and on the back says "Manufactured by Macneil" with a part number 2024. The left side anchor hole lines up perfectly with the hole in the floor, I switch the anchor from the summer (screw on the bottom, velcro circle on top) with the screw-foot winter anchor, it fits and holds it perfectly on the left side. Anchoring only the left side, however, lets the mat spin counter-clockwise with normal driving such that I start catching the back left edge of the mat with my clutch, as the clutch comes up. The mat doesn't stay put and I'm constantly reaching down to pull the rear right corner back.

The right anchor hole is over an inch away from the summer anchor hole, it's on the summer anchor "hole line" but way to the right. I poked at the carpet, not too hard, but don't find/see any other pilot holes near the winter mat right anchor hole. (see picture, the screwdriver is in the existing summer anchor hole to show the relative L/R position).

How is this mat supposed to be anchored on the right? Do I need to drill a new anchor hole in the floor? Do I use a T-foot anchor on one side and a screw-foot anchor on the other side, or do I need a second screw-foot anchor?

thanks guys.
I have the same issue with the mis-aligned holes. So I need to pull the mats backwards frequently. Not a great design... Although the all weathers anchors or no anchors beat the pants off the flimsy OEM carmet mats

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
yikes
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

A set of these was installed in my E91 when I bought it (CPO). They were installed with these big screw-into-the-carpet anchors (with hooks on top). I can take a picture if you need to see them. I bet you can buy them directly form MacNeil / weathertech (who makes them for BMW).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

For some odd reason, the anchors for the summer and winter mats are not only different, but they also have different mounting points.

For the winter mats, you should have two screw in anchors.

Place the mats where they should go and mark the two mounting holes. I just stuck toothpicks into the carpet through the holes but paperclips or stickpins would work equally well.

Lift off the carpets carefull as to not disturb your toothpicks then screw the anchors into the carpet - assuring that the hooks point towards the drivers seat when done.

There are no anchors for the passenger side although the winter mats do have attachment points.

Your dealer should be able to give you the proper anchors. Given the Toyota floormat issue they should assure that your car has the right anchors.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
shadco
Rep
Drives: 08 328XI, 09 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Given the Toyota floormat issue they should assure that your car has the right anchors.
Right you are. My service advisor saw me leaving the parts dept with a set yesterday and he said here let me put those in for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
Quote:
For some odd reason, the anchors for the summer and winter mats are not only different, but they also have different mounting points.

For the winter mats, you should have two screw in anchors.

Place the mats where they should go and mark the two mounting holes. I just stuck toothpicks into the carpet through the holes but paperclips or stickpins would work equally well.

Lift off the carpets carefull as to not disturb your toothpicks then screw the anchors into the carpet - assuring that the hooks point towards the drivers seat when done.

There are no anchors for the passenger side although the winter mats do have attachment points.

Your dealer should be able to give you the proper anchors. Given the Toyota floormat issue they should assure that your car has the right anchors.
+1

This is exactly what I had to do to properly mount my winter mats. When I unscrew the anchors from the carpet, I can hardly tell there are holes there, so don't worry about that aspect.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
ninesixtwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Thanks, that is simple.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
cb1111
Rep

Just to add to the confusion. The summer (carpeted) mats also have screw in anchors, but instead of hooks they have a velcro disc.

Installing these is a bit trickier because you need to place the mats properly, lift up the edge closest to the seat (without shifting the position of the mat,) find the velcro mounting points and screw the discs to the carpet. The carpets then just velcro to the discs.

These attachments can stay in the car once you switch to winter mats, but you need to remove the winter anchors to install the summer mats.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Why not just put some velcro under the winter mats? I've got the winter mats and know what you are talking about but it's never been so bad that I wanted to put any effort into addressing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
Why not just put some velcro under the winter mats? I've got the winter mats and know what you are talking about but it's never been so bad that I wanted to put any effort into addressing it.
You'd need to attach velcro to the underside of the winter mat and then use the summer velcro discs.

The problem is finding glue that will attach to the winter mats and hold during cold and heat cycles as well as being pushed around.
      12-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

One part of the velcro is attached to the carpet, the other to the mat. So all you need is the part to attach to the mat. I have some velcro that's amazing at sticking in the cold. I have experience with it in Chicago winters and let me tell you it's not coming off, cold or not.

Unfortunately I don't have it in front of me but can find out who makes it if you're interested. All you would need to do is clean the rubber with some alcohol wipes and then stick the velcro on. Best to stick it on indoors so that it goes on warm.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
PTinVT
armchair enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
You don't (or wouldn't) find it annoying to have the floormat flapping around with every gear change? (do you have a clutch?) Fortunately with BMW's floor-pivoting accelerator design, this does not appear to be a safety risk.

I tried to attach velcro from my random collection of self-stick velcro pieces lying around, to no avail. I think all I need is a second screw-foot/hook-top anchor and just screw it into the carpet at the right place. I don't mind swapping anchors twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #15
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

I bought the OEM Rubber mats in October (from a Netherlands dealer). They do not require anchors--they hardly fit into the foot wells so they do not move around:

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...&productId=869
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #16
PTinVT
armchair enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Update, I made a pilot hole in the carpet under the mat's right anchor hole, and moved my one screw-foot/hook-top anchor there. The anchor isn't easy to install there as the hexagon interferes with the start of the curvature of the floor - I probably made the hole a little further back/right than necessary but with only one anchor in the meantime, that + the accelerator hold it in place much better and I'm no longer pulling the mat up with my clutch. I'll see if my dealer can throw me a bone and toss in a second anchor when I take my car back for (sigh) a new driver-side seat belt extender (ordered on last visit).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

I have some extra anchors - pay for postage and I'll send some.
      12-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #18
bikebum
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4SPEED View Post
I have some extra anchors - pay for postage and I'll send some.
I'll pay for postage, where do I send it?
Appreciate 0