E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > new 2011 328i vs 335i (Canada)

12-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
conix67
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

new 2011 328i vs 335i (Canada)

Sorry guys if this sounds like repeat of many other similar threads. I almost set my mind on a new 2011 328i 4dr + sports pkg + premium pkg, then I began to get second thoughts about going for 2011 335i 4dr base. I'm looking at 6MT for both.

Here in Canada, difference in MSRP is about $6000. From above configuration of 328i to a base 335i, here's what I gain and lose.

gains
- N55 engine
- 18" wheels
- adaptive headlamps
- radar cruise control (can someone confirm this, although I'd never really care about this)
- brushed aluminum interior trim
- silver exterior trims

losses
- glossy black shadowline trims
- anthractic roofliner
- autodimming exterior mirrors /w power folding features
- alarm
- weight advantage

The reason I'm considering 335i is just like many others - N55 engine power and sound. I believe stock exhaust /w N55 sounds a lot more sporty than 328i, which will make it more satisfying to drive even when you're not going fast. 18" wheels do add more aggressive look.

Whichever one I choose, I plan to keep it for 10 years. My biggest concern of course with 335i is the infamous HPFP issue. Salesman assured me the new HPFP on N55 is 4th gen and there's no known issue with that model but I'm not convinced.

What would be your pick, and why?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
MIC328i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I was in the exact same situation around 3 years ago, I actually ordered the 328i coupe already but later changed my mind to 335i and thank god I did that!! I always think back and imagine what it would be like getting the 328 instead. Just test drive both and you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with a huge grin (E90)

Is there even a question here? I mean with all due respect you're not comparing apples to apples here. Here we go again with the HPFP issue. Well if it makes you feel any better the warranty on the fuel pump is 10 years or 120,000 miles, which is coincidentally the time frame you plan on keeping the car. Though most people never keep their cars that long so I find that hard to believe.

But seriously, a 328i or 335i? ok let's ask a few questions here. Atari or Xbox 360? Black and white tv or HD? Porsche or Hyundai? You pickin up what I'm puttin down? LOL

Ok I know I'm being a jerk and I'm sorry, I'm just being sarcastic. Seriously it's completely up to you and your budget. But the majority of people purchase 328's simply because their budget will not allow them to purchase a 335. I know I'll probably get slayed for that comment along with many others but it's the truth, whether some want to admit it or not. Either way I think you'll be happy with both, but you'll be in heaven with the 335, trust me brother.
      12-17-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
Paramedic
Paramedics, Busting our ass saving yours !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Watch outside. Get an Xi. I laugh at snowstorms with mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 02:38 AM   #5
chenx15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i/accord

i'll give you a different perspective on this. i am a 335 owner, yeah it makes me feel like a big boy and not even an M3 can intimidate me. But the car feels extremely slow within legal speed limits. you can't even feel the power of the car until you basically go within ontario stunt driving limits. the temptation to blow everybody's doors off is there constantly nagging you to come on and show it off. show it to other people how powerful your car is. then when you are merging to the highway from a complete stop and you are on a yield sign and you had to stop then you see an opening you are tempted to gun it down and an opportunity to do it so you go crazy on it. the exhaust starts to scream and go crazy and you hit 150 km/h without you noticing it and risking of getting a ticket. then you get disappointed because you can't maintain that speed limit and the joy of just kicking everybody's ass specially when people try extremely hard to catch up with you and they just can't until you literally go back to the legal speed limit mind you, you are doing all this without the sports mode. then the temptation of buying a chip to increase the power of the car which can blow almost any cars doors off even the ones with nitrous oxide in them. this are my daily buyers remorse i experience with my car. can you live with that remorse everyday? you want to know how powerful a 335 is? if a 335 owner decides to floor it in a small street and your car is parked on the side you can feel the power of the car once it passes by you. imagine that even if you are not in the 335 as long as you are just beside it you can still feel the power.

the problem with that is that you can't do it all the time and temptation is there. and whenever i try to fight the temptation i tell myself damn i wish i got a 328 so i won't be in this predicament.

the hpfp doesn't bother me at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #6
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner e92

are you serious ?
      12-17-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 C63

if you have an IS350 now I think you'll be highly disappointed with a 328i. Going from the IS350 to the 328i would be a downgrade for sure, and I think you'd miss the power of the Lexus. I'd get the 335i.
      12-17-2010, 03:59 AM   #8
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
If you want to get the 328 don't test drive the 335 because there's no turning back.... trust me.... it happened to me.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #9
djhyro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 xi

Garage List
2008 335xi e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
If you want to get the 328 don't test drive the 335 because there's no turning back.... trust me.... it happened to me.
^^ this
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
conix67
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3AST View Post
Is there even a question here? I mean with all due respect you're not comparing apples to apples here. Here we go again with the HPFP issue. Well if it makes you feel any better the warranty on the fuel pump is 10 years or 120,000 miles, which is coincidentally the time frame you plan on keeping the car. Though most people never keep their cars that long so I find that hard to believe.

But seriously, a 328i or 335i? ok let's ask a few questions here. Atari or Xbox 360? Black and white tv or HD? Porsche or Hyundai? You pickin up what I'm puttin down? LOL

Ok I know I'm being a jerk and I'm sorry, I'm just being sarcastic. Seriously it's completely up to you and your budget. But the majority of people purchase 328's simply because their budget will not allow them to purchase a 335. I know I'll probably get slayed for that comment along with many others but it's the truth, whether some want to admit it or not. Either way I think you'll be happy with both, but you'll be in heaven with the 335, trust me brother.
Thanks. I wouldn't say budget is not a concern, but for a car I'd keep for 10 years, that price difference is insignificant. I would like make a decision not swayed by pure temptation to own something different, as this will be my daily driver mostly.

I drove friend's 135i (in summer, blast to drive of course), and test drove 2dr 335i auto xdrive (only one available at dealer) but the weather was so bad I couldn't risk pushing it, so the test drive wasn't all that impressive.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #11
conix67
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramedic View Post
Watch outside. Get an Xi. I laugh at snowstorms with mine.
I'm currently driving 328i xdrive. I'm impressed with its AWD capability, but otherwise I'm not impressed. Xdrives are not available with sports suspension, and weight penalty is not worth it for me. I've driven IS350 through several winters (got stuck few times though), so either one of 328i/335i RWD won't be any worse.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #12
conix67
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07E92TT View Post
if you have an IS350 now I think you'll be highly disappointed with a 328i. Going from the IS350 to the 328i would be a downgrade for sure, and I think you'd miss the power of the Lexus. I'd get the 335i.
It is surprisingly not that much of downgrade. IS350 had auto, 328i/335i RWD will be 6MT. Driving 328i xdrive, although 0-60mph is much slower than IS350, it's a lot more fun already. IS350 doesn't have much torque at lower RPM range anyway, and you really need to push it beyond 5000RPM to get maximum power. It lets out some funny screaming noise (not pleasant though) at that speed, and performance is good once you're there.

When driven gently (thus staying at lower RPM range), it is gutless. This is where the temptation for 335i comes from.

328i interior is very german, everything is functional. However, IS350 was more luxurious. It is actually more of a luxury sedan than a sports sedan.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #13
conix67
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenx15 View Post
i'll give you a different perspective on this. i am a 335 owner, yeah it makes me feel like a big boy and not even an M3 can intimidate me. But the car feels extremely slow within legal speed limits. you can't even feel the power of the car until you basically go within ontario stunt driving limits. the temptation to blow everybody's doors off is there constantly nagging you to come on and show it off. show it to other people how powerful your car is. then when you are merging to the highway from a complete stop and you are on a yield sign and you had to stop then you see an opening you are tempted to gun it down and an opportunity to do it so you go crazy on it. the exhaust starts to scream and go crazy and you hit 150 km/h without you noticing it and risking of getting a ticket. then you get disappointed because you can't maintain that speed limit and the joy of just kicking everybody's ass specially when people try extremely hard to catch up with you and they just can't until you literally go back to the legal speed limit mind you, you are doing all this without the sports mode. then the temptation of buying a chip to increase the power of the car which can blow almost any cars doors off even the ones with nitrous oxide in them. this are my daily buyers remorse i experience with my car. can you live with that remorse everyday? you want to know how powerful a 335 is? if a 335 owner decides to floor it in a small street and your car is parked on the side you can feel the power of the car once it passes by you. imagine that even if you are not in the 335 as long as you are just beside it you can still feel the power.

the problem with that is that you can't do it all the time and temptation is there. and whenever i try to fight the temptation i tell myself damn i wish i got a 328 so i won't be in this predicament.

the hpfp doesn't bother me at all.
Thanks for the input. My daily driving route consists of mostly a local highway with many traffic lights (post speed limit is 80km/h, often drivers reach 100km/h) without a lot of traffic (except during rush hour). I'm guessing 328i RWD 6MT will be just fine in terms of performance.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to test drive *any* 328i/335i RWD 6MT. There's none available since september. Every 328i/335i available are Xdrive. I guess not many are looking for RWD 3-series here.

So this is what makes it difficult for me to decide. I cannot test drive vehicles /w exact configuration before I decide.

I'm currently driving a loaner (328i xdrive 6MT), and while I feel it a little slow, the power is there and it's a lot of fun. I'm expecting 328i RWD 6MT will be a lot better in driving fun department, can anyone compare performance of 328i RWD 6MT vs 328i RWD 6MT Xdrive?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 06:45 AM   #14
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
The lowend torque of the 335 is what makes it a fun daily driver. If you can possibly pair it with a tune, the lowend power is UNREAL, I go for drives just for the hell of it sometimes.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
chenx15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i/accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by conix67 View Post
Thanks for the input. My daily driving route consists of mostly a local highway with many traffic lights (post speed limit is 80km/h, often drivers reach 100km/h) without a lot of traffic (except during rush hour). I'm guessing 328i RWD 6MT will be just fine in terms of performance.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to test drive *any* 328i/335i RWD 6MT. There's none available since september. Every 328i/335i available are Xdrive. I guess not many are looking for RWD 3-series here.

So this is what makes it difficult for me to decide. I cannot test drive vehicles /w exact configuration before I decide.

I'm currently driving a loaner (328i xdrive 6MT), and while I feel it a little slow, the power is there and it's a lot of fun. I'm expecting 328i RWD 6MT will be a lot better in driving fun department, can anyone compare performance of 328i RWD 6MT vs 328i RWD 6MT Xdrive?
if you don't mind CPO parkview is selling a 2009 335i 6mt RWD with sports suspension with 16,600 kms on it. i was trying to swap my car with that one but the interest rates are not very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #16
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

Ive always told myself that if i were to be planning on keeping a car for 8+ years, i would want it to be fully loaded(35i engine included in that). It makes sense since you would want to enjoy a long term purchase like this as much as possible. There should be no regrets with this purchase and getting a 328i might give you some regrets when later on you feel there is something missing with the car. Just make sure you get one with a sport suspension no matter which engine you chose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
I go for drives just for the hell of it sometimes.
Having a car that would make you wanna just go for a drive is exactly why i love BMW's
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #17
conix67
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakster View Post
Ive always told myself that if i were to be planning on keeping a car for 8+ years, i would want it to be fully loaded(35i engine included in that). It makes sense since you would want to enjoy a long term purchase like this as much as possible. There should be no regrets with this purchase and getting a 328i might give you some regrets when later on you feel there is something missing with the car. Just make sure you get one with a sport suspension no matter which engine you chose.

Having a car that would make you wanna just go for a drive is exactly why i love BMW's
Thanks. If I ever go out for a drive for the heck of it, there would be an easy answer. Chances are, I would.

Canadian base 335i is priced at $51400. It comes with 18" wheels, sports suspension, dakota leather interior, heated steering wheels, adaptive headlights, radar cruise control (couldn't verify this anymore), cold weather package, folding rear seats, etc. Relatively well equipped.

3 packages are available, and no individual options (sucks) - M sports, executive, navigation. Personally all are overpriced, so I might stick with base 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #18
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3AST View Post

Actually, I don't believe that the extended warranty has made its way to Canada yet and it is well documented that the N55 suffers from the same HPFP woes as the N-54 engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #19
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

You asked about Radar Cruise Control. Unless something changed since my 2008 335, it's not available on the Canadian 3-series. Even on my new 2011 535 it was not an option, you had to go for the 550 to get it, so I doubt the 2011 335 will have it. My 335 was a great car, the engine made the car, great sound with the top down!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #20
jrobwitt05
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Why not just get a CPO'd 335 with all the options you want?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #21
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by conix67 View Post
My daily driving route consists of mostly a local highway with many traffic lights (post speed limit is 80km/h, often drivers reach 100km/h) without a lot of traffic (except during rush hour). I'm guessing 328i RWD 6MT will be just fine in terms of performance.
I happen to prefer normally aspirated motors to turbos and have done a fair amount of touring (mostly on back roads) in both Canada & the US in my MT 128i . As it is a convertible, the weight is slightly more than a 328i sedan, and the drive train is the same. I have never felt the need for more power - even passing 5~6 cars at a time - as third gear provides a nice rush from about 50 to 90 mph (80~150kph). And for commuting, if you choose to be in front of the rest of the traffic, the power is there to do so - although you may need to use the gearbox.

If you were getting an auto, I'd say consider the 335i, but unless you really will use the additional torque, why bother with the added expense?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #22
conix67
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I happen to prefer normally aspirated motors to turbos and have done a fair amount of touring (mostly on back roads) in both Canada & the US in my MT 128i . As it is a convertible, the weight is slightly more than a 328i sedan, and the drive train is the same. I have never felt the need for more power - even passing 5~6 cars at a time - as third gear provides a nice rush from about 50 to 90 mph (80~150kph). And for commuting, if you choose to be in front of the rest of the traffic, the power is there to do so - although you may need to use the gearbox.

If you were getting an auto, I'd say consider the 335i, but unless you really will use the additional torque, why bother with the added expense?

Tom
Thanks. This is a great view from the other side.

Now it seems there's a little more cost advantage to 328i than 335i, which makes them further apart from pricing point of view. The engine difference take them some $7000 apart, is it justified? Affordability is one thing, but at this price difference it seems like a lot of waste of money.

HPFP is a concern, as I don't want to be stranded in some odd places. Knowing that it could happen anytime will always stay in the back of your mind wherever you go..

Boy, this is getting tougher.. it would have been a lot easier if they still offered 330i.
Appreciate 0