E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > MPG in DS vs. D

02-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competiton, 2021 X7

MPG in DS vs. D

Had the 335i for about a month now. Normally I leave it in D during regular driving. I'll switch to DS if I want to have some fun with it. But sometimes it would be nice to have it on DS all the time since there are times when I need to pass someone when I would least expect it. Don't get me wrong. It's quick in D mode, but DS keeps the revs up for better responsiveness.

So here's my question. Has anybody checked what their MPG is or how many miles they are getting on a full tank in D mode at all times and DS mode at all times? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
NaViT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i

not sure too many people have done that but i feel you though its more fun driving the BMWs in DS, i think it will lose about 1 MPG or so but cant confirm that... but hey, drive it how u want its an expensive and beautiful car so forget about gas and have fun
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaViT View Post
not sure too many people have done that but i feel you though its more fun driving the BMWs in DS, i think it will lose about 1 MPG or so but cant confirm that... but hey, drive it how u want its an expensive and beautiful car so forget about gas and have fun

yeah man....i agree....you are probably going to loose some MPG....but its going to be worth it for the better driving experience....thats what you paid $$$ for the car anyway....not the gas mileage

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
comebackid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competiton, 2021 X7

I most certainly agree. And if it's a 1-3 mpg difference, then I'll have it in DS mode at all times. But if we're talking 5+, I don't think it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

I think if you're cruising along at 50 mph and there are people in front of you (on a two lane road), no need to be at high revs and burning gas and wearing parts down. D is fine for that. And crusing on the highway.

Everything else I use DS/Manual for..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
I think if you're cruising along at 50 mph and there are people in front of you (on a two lane road), no need to be at high revs and burning gas and wearing parts down. D is fine for that. And crusing on the highway.

Everything else I use DS/Manual for..
I would have it in DS all the time. I'm not worried about gas and spending money on gas. What keeps me from doing it is the fact that I'm wearing my engine down faster with the higher revs.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

DS is pretty fun... I am going to use that more often. I like getting good MPG but city driving is not that great in D or DS anyhow. increased engine wear does not matter to me I will only have the car for 27,000 more miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #8
panzer948
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 (April 2015 ED)

Wow, does DS really increase engine wear? I am worried about that, as I bought to keep it for the long term.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
PAT
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i, jb, pre, spt, step

A mile per gallon or so is not a big deal! I use DS all the time. I'm so indoctrinated to DS, I even use it to move the car in the driveway. I had a
'03 330ci prior to to getting the 335, and used DS exclusively on that one, too. My arm just automatically pulls to left when I reach D. DS is a lot more fun! Use it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer948 View Post
Wow, does DS really increase engine wear? I am worried about that, as I bought to keep it for the long term.
Absolutely! Using DS keeps the car's engine running at higher revs and higher revs equal more engine wear. Basic physics really.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #11
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive View Post
Absolutely! Using DS keeps the car's engine running at higher revs and higher revs equal more engine wear. Basic physics really.
I would have to disagree. You are making it seem like its a civic or something. This car was designed to handle higher revving with the turbos. In fact, OCCASIONAL high spirited revving is optimal for the engine performance, if we are looking at 10+ years down the road, a car that was babied is going to be in worse shape than a car (335i) that was used with frequent (but not daily) RPM variation in excess of 5k every now and then.

Also, in DS mode, the revs rarely hit over 3.5k with normal driving. Nowhere near the amount of revs you would need to wear your engine down. If we are talking redline, then thats a different story but DS mode with normal driving WILL NOT even come close to producing significant engine wear, even 10 years down the road.

If you want to use DS daily, but all means go right ahead, you'll be fine and will be having fun with what you spent your money on - performance. Anyway, if you were concerned soley about engine life you probably bought the wrong car (althought I am sure BMW's last plenty long). This is not a camry or a civic, so have fun with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #12
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
I would have to disagree. You are making it seem like its a civic or something. This car was designed to handle higher revving with the turbos. In fact, OCCASIONAL high spirited revving is optimal for the engine performance, if we are looking at 10+ years down the road, a car that was babied is going to be in worse shape than a car (335i) that was used with frequent (but not daily) RPM variation in excess of 5k every now and then.

Also, in DS mode, the revs rarely hit over 3.5k with normal driving. Nowhere near the amount of revs you would need to wear your engine down. If we are talking redline, then thats a different story but DS mode with normal driving WILL NOT even come close to producing significant engine wear, even 10 years down the road.

If you want to use DS daily, but all means go right ahead, you'll be fine and will be having fun with what you spent your money on - performance. Anyway, if you were concerned soley about engine life you probably bought the wrong car (althought I am sure BMW's last plenty long). This is not a camry or a civic, so have fun with it.
i dont know if it wears the engine or not. but

+1 on the fact that the DS rarely goes above 3.5 - 4k rpms when i use DS. Only when i give it near WOT does it ever go beyong 3.5k - 4k.
      02-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post

I guess we can agree to disagree then.

My car must be a rebel because when I'm in DS mode after redlining it once the revs always stay above 4K. Maybe that has to do with my car learning my driving habits as I go but it takes a very long time to drop below 4K after redlining it once.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
ahnh77
chichen
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325xi

i switch back and forth from d to ds frequently...and even to tip mode....sf city driving..gotta be aggressive...and don't let the cab drivers push me around....
      02-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnh77 View Post
i switch back and forth from d to ds frequently...and even to tip mode....sf city driving..gotta be aggressive...and don't let the cab drivers push me around....
thats what i do, back in the city where my parents live, i have to usually keep DS mode on more often than D cuz u just have to get ahead of the aggressive city drivers, but then in the rural county that my college is in, i rarely use DS unless i see a ricer.
      02-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #16
335i Ecstasy
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

MPG

You did not pay thousands of $$$$ in gas guzzler tax... So your already ahead... REV IT UP!!!
      02-09-2007, 12:37 PM   #17
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
now that were talking about DS and D is it ok to shift from D to DS while youre driving? does it hurt the engine at all? and what about shifting to the steptronic? does that not hurt the engine in any way or is it all electrically regulated so when you do shift from D->DS or Step, its ok?
      02-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #18
EDK99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E85 M

Don't forget if you have the paddle shifters and you are in D you can use them to switch to a lower gear for passing or whatever. Then after so many seconds of not using the paddles you will be switch back to D mode.

Ed
      02-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #19
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Monaco E92 335i

Any reason why those who need to suddenly drive it hard don't just use the paddles? DS certainly keeps the revs up and that's great if you intend to be getting on it over an extended period, but I found it's just as easy to down shift one or two gears with the paddle and have my way with it!

Another thing is that for daily driving, it's kind of annoying to have the engine spun-up all the time for no reason. If I'm leisurely driving from light to light, I don't need the car pushing that hard.

Using DS seems best suited for those early Sunday morning drives where you hits some twisties and need the revs to hold while cornering. Nothing worse than pushing through a corner and having the car shifting for no reason, especially up shifting prior to a full exit from the corner.
Nov 26th she has made landfall in NYC.
Now the wait for PCD begins! Scheduled for 12.21.07
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #20
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
well if your on the highway just switch to DS, upshift once and it'll be in M6. if you want to pass somebody... down shift to M5 and pass them... not so hard.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #21
dc_alwaysblue
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6-Speed TB-II

I use DS all the way ONLY IF I'm driving alone, but I figured that it'll never shift to 6th gear, correct me if I'm wrong.

However, I'll use D when I have passengers, especially my wife. 'Cuz when you hit the brake, the transmission will quickly down shift to provide engine brake, which I like. But my wife thinks it'll make the ride feel jerky. F**king women!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2007, 02:33 AM   #22
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

i'm pretty sure ds would be more of a diff than just 1mpg, but i can't confirm so iono

normally if i need to overtake, i jsut downshift w/ the paddles

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0