E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 330i lifter tapping noise

02-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Question 330i lifter tapping noise

Started my car a couple of days ago and got the infamous VERY LOUD lifter tapping noise. I was just going on a short trip (less than 5 miles) and the noise remained the entire time. The next day it was still there, though quieter. The day after it was gone...

I read the threads and I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain a "phantom" noise to the service writer.
Anyone with this issue have it just "go away" with no ill effects?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
if they're worth their spit, they shouldn't give you any grief about it.
      02-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

I would suggest keeping an eye on it and seeing if it becomes constant. I had the loud "ticking" problem, but once it started, it never stopped. After about a month, I'd had enough and brought it into the dealer. When the service people drove the car away, I had no idea how loud it really was! They found that one of the lobes on the camshaft was cracked and they had to replace it along with the lifters and a number of other items similar to what other people here experienced. A PUMA case was opened, and it took about a 1 1/2 weeks to fix, since they had to wait for the camshaft to come in from Germany. While talking with my SA regarding this issue, I got the feeling that they were used to dealing with this problem, and it's unfortunately not rare. On a side note, I asked her approximately how much the repair would've been if I was off warranty, and she said it would've been around $3,000! Whew!

On the bright side, they gave me an e90 335i to use in the meantime. Amazing engine! Since getting my car back, the problem has not recurred and I was amazed on how quiet it is supposed to idle!

In any case, I hope in your case it goes away. If it doesn't, I would suggest taking it in soon so as not to cause any further damage.

Woohoo!! Long time reader, but first post!!

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
2003 E46 325i 5MT: Retired - The beginning of my BMW obsession!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 11:14 PM   #4
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

if it becomes consistent, or even if it becomes 'consistently inconsistent,' you should bring it into the dealer. worn camshafts are never fun.

... as an aside, this issue (Its occurred on my car as well) is one thing that's making me think twice about keeping the car after warranty. The noise has come back on precisely 2 mornings since I had the car repaired nearly a year ago. Though the repair seems to be working, I can't help but have that nagging voice in the back of my mind asking what I'd do if this happened again while out of warranty...

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 03:00 AM   #5
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

I've been hearing mine since the first day i've got my car, now 41k miles later, there are no problems. its always the same routine. at start up the lifters are loud depending on weather conditions. if its really cold, usually louder. if it isnt as cold, then the opposite. after about 10 minutes of driving around the lifters arent as loud but if you are parked you can definitely hear them. personally i dont think its a problem. i've had a e46 330 and i have 2 other friends with 3 series cars and their cars are similar.