E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Sunroof software glitch

12-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Sunroof software glitch

Went out for dinner yesterday and parked the car in the parking lot with the sunroof left tilted. When got back got a sunroof malfunctioning error on screen. Tried operating the sunroof but it would work only on the tilt, the sliding motion wouldn't work. After a few unhappy moments thought was in for a big repair bill since heard a sunroof motor gone bad could cost 1-2 grand, could have heard wrong on the costs to fix though. Instantly did a search on e90 post on my iphone and came out with a few threads describing it as a common software glitch that BMW was aware of. The fix was that I had to keep the sunroof button pressed for about 30 secs till the sunroof went through a full tilt and slide motion, a sort of a soft reboot of the software. Tried it when drove back home, didn't work perfectly at first. The sunroof did start to slide after the reset but only in small 0.25% increments but was confident the solution was close and left it for the night. Tried resetting it again this morning and worked perfectly. Remember to keep the car on and in P when atempting fix this.
I think BMW should distribute a cheat sheet once a year atleast that they are aware of describing workaround fixes for badly written software instead of us having to find it the hard way. To me, these types of issues are highly rated red alert showstopper issues since they affect peace of mind so solutions should be at hand. If not for e90Post, the iphone and the internet I would be having a very uncomfortable few days till this was sorted, esp since am out of warranty,
Love you e90post

Last edited by cruvon; 12-06-2010 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Cars and mobile phones are all like a windows computer these days - constantly having software hissy fits. Glad to see your roof working well again.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

Yes mine did the same and my lexus is250 had the same problem i just did a search and found how to reset it, and letting the sunroof go through all the opening stages and fine, that was over a year ago no problems yet.
      12-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
V1_R
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [10.00]
I had the sunroof glitch last week.

One search of E90post and all was fixed.

God Bless freedom of information!!
      12-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #5
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersianPete View Post
I had the sunroof glitch last week.

One search of E90post and all was fixed.

God Bless freedom of information!!
yupz, can't get a working Wikileaks mirror site yet though, this is what someone on Wikileaks twitter said
Quote:
Boy, the last time there was a leak like this, Noah built himself a boat."

Last edited by cruvon; 12-06-2010 at 02:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
Rezza
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325i

Sunroof not sliding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
Went out for dinner yesterday and parked the car in the parking lot with the sunroof left tilted. When got back got a sunroof malfunctioning error on screen. Tried operating the sunroof but it would work only on the tilt, the sliding motion wouldn't work. After a few unhappy moments thought was in for a big repair bill since heard a sunroof motor gone bad could cost 1-2 grand, could have heard wrong on the costs to fix though. Instantly did a search on e90 post on my iphone and came out with a few threads describing it as a common software glitch that BMW was aware of. The fix was that I had to keep the sunroof button pressed for about 30 secs till the sunroof went through a full tilt and slide motion, a sort of a soft reboot of the software. Tried it when drove back home, didn't work perfectly at first. The sunroof did start to slide after the reset but only in small 0.25% increments but was confident the solution was close and left it for the night. Tried resetting it again this morning and worked perfectly. Remember to keep the car on and in P when atempting fix this.
I think BMW should distribute a cheat sheet once a year atleast that they are aware of describing workaround fixes for badly written software instead of us having to find it the hard way. To me, these types of issues are highly rated red alert showstopper issues since they affect peace of mind so solutions should be at hand. If not for e90Post, the iphone and the internet I would be having a very uncomfortable few days till this was sorted, esp since am out of warranty,
Love you e90post
When was the last time you cleaned the seals and the runners? BMW and most modern cars with electric windows and sunroof's have anti trap sensors built into them. When it senses any friction above a set parameter it goes into a safe mode. Fine road grime build up between the seals. I have to clean the drain pipes in the sunroof too. Up here in Far north Queensland mud wasps love to clog up the holes to build nests in them.
Appreciate 0