E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ECU mail in for GIAC Flash?

11-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
335timb
New Member no longer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

ECU mail in for GIAC Flash?

Living in Topeka Kansas puts me in close proximity to NOBODY for a GIAC flash. For those of you who may be in a similar circumstance, and had to mail your ECU for a flash, would you please provide me with feedback on WHO you used, and HOW the interaction went? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335timb View Post
Living in Topeka Kansas puts me in close proximity to NOBODY for a GIAC flash. For those of you who may be in a similar circumstance, and had to mail your ECU for a flash, would you please provide me with feedback on WHO you used, and HOW the interaction went? Thanks!
My ECU ships back to me tomorrow, a full 2 weeks after I have sent it for GIAC flashing. I used a shop from Europe (more on that on my upcoming review. Neither GIAC nor other technical issues are responsible for this delay).

I would highly recommend TyrolSport from New York. I have been in touch with them via email and I could not send my ECU to them because I needed some export papers from my country and I could not get them in time. But I regret it now. Their prices are very good, they are very responsive to emails and they appear very knowledgeable (they asked me very key questions before sending my ECU - they showed they care about the customer).

By the way, you must have a BT tool to reset error codes if you send the ECU for flashing. You may have problems if you start the car without deleting existing error codes first.

Last edited by tscdennab; 11-30-2010 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Grammar correction
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
335timb
New Member no longer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Road trip?

"By the way, you must have a BT tool to reset error codes if you send the ECU for flashing. You may have problems if you start the car without deleting existing error codes first."

Good to know--Thank you! So perhaps I just need to go for a road trip. Hmmmm... Oklahoma City or St. Louis...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Luckydacuz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' M5 Comp Fire Orange

[QUOTE=tscdennab;8419349]
Quote:
My ECU ships back to me tomorrow, a full 2 weeks after I have sent it for GIAC flashing. I used a shop from Europe (more on that on my upcoming review. Neither GIAC nor other technical issues are responsible for this delay).

I would highly recommend TyrolSport from New York. I have been in touch with them via email and I could not send my ECU to them because I needed some export papers from my country and I could not get them in time. But I regret it now. Their prices are very good, they are very responsive to emails and they appear very knowledgeable (they asked me very key questions before sending my ECU - they showed they care about the customer).

By the way, you must have a BT tool to reset error codes if you send the ECU for flashing. You may have problems if you start the car without deleting existing error codes first.[/QUOTE
I got my old car flashed at Tyrolsport. Mike is a good guy. Very helpful staff.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

With the way we set up the GIAC flash if you're not anywhere local, is that if you purchase the flash through us, you'll need to remove your car's DME box (instructions can be found on this forum, or we can try to provide them for you as well). Once you do that, send your DME to us, we flash it, and the price includes overnight shipping back to you so that you can get your DME quicker.

I'll send you a PM on more info, but this is what we have normally done
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 04:02 AM   #6
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
I'm in Europe so had the same problem. I sent it to Regal Autosport in the UK and all went well - I just contacted them saying I'd like to acquire the flash, they asked me a couple of questions (built, transmission type etc.) and I sent the DME to them. Turnaround time was roughly a week (between me sending it out and having it back in my car).

It's a hassle and I don'tl ike the downtime of my car, but unfortunately that's the only way (except if you drive all the way to the next dealer, which I've also done once).

Alpina_B3_Lux