E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine Malfunction?

02-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
Jeffelite
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi Coupe

Engine Malfunction?

I tried starting my car up this morning, after sitting all night outside in 0 degree weather. I got the engine symbol with half of it yellow. Meaning full power isn't available.

You think it's just because it's so cold outside or is there a serious problem? I'll need to goto the dealer either way to get rid of the service engine light.

Thanks.
      02-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
FNV
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330xi

I've had the same thing happen to me twice now in two weeks. I'm taking it to the dealer in one week to see if everything is ok. I'm guessing it happened because of the cold and I also had a quarter tank of gas.
Since I filled it up it hasn't happened.
The dealer also stated that if the light goes away it's alright to drive.
I'll let you know next week for sure when they check it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
FNV
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330xi

I just came back from the dealer after taking my 330I in to check why the engine light came on.

The service department stated that this has occurred to a few E90's now mostly due to a throttle valve freezing due to low fuel in the gas tank. Apparently the valve stays closed and doesn't open because of (very cold weather or low fuel).

He couldn't confirm this and said that their still working on figuring out why it happens and what the soloution is.

For now they cleaned and dried off the throttle valve and reset the codes. They also said if it happens again just let it idle and the valve should warm up.

All I know is, since I fueled up it hasn't happened again. I'm happy again.
So no need to worry.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2007, 01:59 AM   #4
2K5 325i
srsly *****'n!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007/8 TiAg 335i 'Vert

I'm amazed they didn't find this problem during the initial testing BMW does before they release vehicles for production.

-Chris

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2007, 02:16 AM   #5
bemydemon
american aquarium drinker
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i TiAg

I had this problem the other day too. The warning light appeared after startup from completely cooled engine. Mildly freaking out, I drove a couple of blocks to the 7-11, shut off the engine, and went in to get a Red Bull. When I came out and restarted the car, the light was off and everything was normal.

FWIW, I had a quarter tank of fuel and it was about 60 degrees outside. If it happens again, I'm going to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #6
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I got that message, too, about a week ago. Car was barely driveable. I had it transported to the dealer. They say I need a new DME, and that they should have it tomorrow. So MAYBE I'll get my car Monday night or Tuesday. 1.5 weeks of downtime, and I've only had it for 5 weeks. Not happy.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
Fuukk_Mercedes
335i coupe, Vishnu PROcede, 19" iForged, Miltek ex
United_States
Rep
Drives: black 335i coupe, ZSP,ZPP, ZCA

I live in southern california and my car is always garage kept and i always allow a few minute warm up whenever i start the car. Its not that cold here at all and i got that warning light with a half tank in warm weather at night after i guned hard off a red light. i dunno why it would light up either
Sapphire Black 335i coupe/ Saddle Brown leather/Aluminum trim-Sport package,Paddle shifters, Premium package, navigation, comfort access,PDC, V1, Vishnu PROcede, 19" flat black faced iForged wheels, Milltek exhuast, side markers painted, %25tint
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
Traceaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB View Post
I just came back from the dealer after taking my 330I in to check why the engine light came on.

The service department stated that this has occurred to a few E90's now mostly due to a throttle valve freezing due to low fuel in the gas tank. Apparently the valve stays closed and doesn't open because of (very cold weather or low fuel).

He couldn't confirm this and said that their still working on figuring out why it happens and what the soloution is.

For now they cleaned and dried off the throttle valve and reset the codes. They also said if it happens again just let it idle and the valve should warm up.

All I know is, since I fueled up it hasn't happened again. I'm happy again.
So no need to worry.

Hope this helps.
The same thing just happened to me today too. My car has 2200 miles on it and is almost 4 months old (received it the 3rd week of Nov. 2006).

Starting my car up from work, the car sort of starting funny and idled really really rough. Then is slowly started to sputter and then stopped. I turned my car on again, started fine, still a little rough, but not very noticeable.

Drove home, about 5 minutes from my house I stop to go through a drive through, the car starts idling funny and rougher, then shuts down. The "engine malfunction - reduced power" light came on. I started my car back up, car started normally. I couldnt tell if it still had reduced power or not, I was afraid to gun it. I was also afraid at every light on the way home that it would stall out on me again, but this time for good, on a major road. If it happens again tomorrow, I'll be taking it in to the dealership to have it checked out.

Also, my gas tank was about 90% full, and it was here in Phoenix, AZ, so it wasnt cold either (about 75 degrees out today).
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #9
Frzdrdhppy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i xD GT Estoril/Oyster

Hmmm... this one sounds familiar. Even though I haven't had it happen yet on my new 335, its still an infant only 225 mi , I did have the same thing happen on my '96 328i when it was new. Also lost most of its power. Dealership then diagnosed it as the O2 sensor and replaced it. Wonder if an old "bug" has somehow resurfaced????

---Frz
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Here's an update:
- New DME
- New seals on a couple of injectors

Car was out of commission (awaiting approvals and parts from NA) for about eight business days. It was completed the day after I left on vacation. The dealer held the car, then delivered it to my garage the day I came home (which was yesterday).

I drove it this morning, and it seems to be fine. Dealer (Wagner BMW of Shrewsbury, MA) has also been very gracious in making up for the inconvenience, so I continue to be very happy with them, both sales and service.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0