E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bumper Repair Question

02-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

Bumper Repair Question

What can I do about these bumps left by my front license plate holder install? They're from the screws that hold the front plate holder as they tightened it onto the bumper. The holes are TOO small to drill a larger hole to put plugs and to be honest the bumps are not that noticeable. But they'd be less noticeable if I could get the bumps smoothed out. Would heat help? Anyone work with the front plastic bumper before?

Here are some pics:

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Most here have either changed the bumper to either M-tech or other (I did Mstyle DTM bumper) others have done what you alluded to...drill bigger holes and get bumper plugs. I am sure someone has tried to fill and repaint...but I can't recall of anyone that has actually posted pics of results.
      02-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Check out this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=DIY+holes
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd View Post
Most here have either changed the bumper to either M-tech or other (I did Mstyle DTM bumper) others have done what you alluded to...drill bigger holes and get bumper plugs. I am sure someone has tried to fill and repaint...but I can't recall of anyone that has actually posted pics of results.
Hmmm.... well, this is a lease, so I'm not planning to put a lot of money into it. I'm sure the M bumper is expensive but looks great. I'm happy enough with the bumper I have though but would like to get rid of the nasty bumps.

When I picked my car up from the shop last week, there was a gouge in the bumper that happened at the shop. I showed them and they agreed to fix it. The repair job was quite good. I'm sure it required some sanding on the bumper and paint. These bumps are slightly SMALLER than that gouge. I'm hoping I might be able to DIY (or DIMyself) if possible. I used the smooth curved handle end of a screw driver to press the bump inward and it helped a bit and made the holes even smaller.

Any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Yeah, saw that. Problem is that I guess I need a more detailed description of this step:

"3)Take a fairly blunt object (i used the phillips screwdriver) and 'tuck' the lips inward, trying to seal up the hole. Run your finger over it, make sure that it is now flush, or inverted, but should not be extroverted (i.e. no more "lips"). You can use slight force."

His "lip" is my bump. I'm not sure why he describes a philips screwdriver as "blunt". I put a towel on the head of a flathead to use to push the bump inward but this is very dangerous. One slip and you can still get a nice scratch across the front bumper! Didn't work too well.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkevinl View Post
Yeah, saw that. Problem is that I guess I need a more detailed description of this step:

"3)Take a fairly blunt object (i used the phillips screwdriver) and 'tuck' the lips inward, trying to seal up the hole. Run your finger over it, make sure that it is now flush, or inverted, but should not be extroverted (i.e. no more "lips"). You can use slight force."

His "lip" is my bump. I'm not sure why he describes a philips screwdriver as "blunt". I put a towel on the head of a flathead to use to push the bump inward but this is very dangerous. One slip and you can still get a nice scratch across the front bumper! Didn't work too well.
If you point the tip of the Phillips screwdriver into the hole and with light pressure and careful spinning, you can push the lip/bump inwards.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you point the tip of the Phillips screwdriver into the hole and with light pressure and careful spinning, you can push the lip/bump inwards.
Light pressure, OK. Careful spinning?? Won't this make the hole BIGGER?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkevinl View Post
Light pressure, OK. Careful spinning?? Won't this make the hole BIGGER?
Spinning may not be the right word; try rotating slowly while applying the light pressure. The object of this exercise is to ease the distorted material back to its original position.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Spinning may not be the right word; try rotating slowly while applying the light pressure. The object of this exercise is to ease the distorted material back to its original position.
Hmmmm... it just seems like pushing anything into the holes will make them bigger. Massaging around the bump from the outside inward has made the holes a bit smaller but doesn't reduce the bump size enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Try Clearasil....it worked to remove bumps when I was a teenager.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

I removed a ding in my lower valence with a hair dryer. I heated up the plastic valence and was able to get the rounded end of the handle of a screwdriver behind it and massaged the ding out.

I would think that you could heat up the bump and massage it in flush. Then use some kind of plug.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #12
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
I removed a ding in my lower valence with a hair dryer. I heated up the plastic valence and was able to get the rounded end of the handle of a screwdriver behind it and massaged the ding out.

I would think that you could heat up the bump and massage it in flush. Then use some kind of plug.
Hmmmm.. that's what I was wondering... Did you have to use heat for that? How hot did you get it? I'm not sure which part you're talking about. Is the plastic valence part of the bumper and painted the same color as the body? Was there any discoloration when you did this?
Appreciate 0