BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
mashinhead
Registered
Rep
Drives: na

2011 X3 vs 2011 GLK

So I'm moving to LA in a month and I'm forced to buy a car. I am considering a compact SUV because I plan to bike, surf, go skiing, carry a dog etc. So I was initially considering a GLK because I like the exterior styling of it. But in my search for info, It has bad reviews on driving and I find the interior pretty bland. The x3 and the q5 have much nicer interiors but the q5 exterior is like a bubble. The 3.5 x3 seems to have the quickest engine and a great interior

Can anyone with experience expound on the x3 vs the glk
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

I agree. The GLK has a poor interior. Worse though, is the car was debuted with the sex in the city movie. So to me if you're a woman, great. If not, its a woman's car. I hate when companies genderize their products by stupid moves like that.

At least for right now:
you can always sell a woman a masculine product but you cannot sell a woman's product to a man.

The total package of the BMW makes it shine above its rivals {at least until the q5 gets a new motor to replace the 3.2}.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, 2013 C63

We have one (GLK) in the family and I don't consider GLK's interior "poor". I really like the angular shapes of its front dashboard and the materials are a good quality (plenty of "soft" plastic, no rattles/creaks whatsoever, unlike with my 328xi). As for driving it - it's a typical "Mercedes" feel, with an overboosted (but not as much as on other cars, like almost all of the Lexus models) steering assist and a long brake pedal travel. Other than this, there's nothing negative about it - the automatic transmission is pretty smooth and the throttle response is pretty linear, same goes for the suspension (I would gladly have the same A/T, throttle programming and suspension on my 328xi). I suggest you should simply test-drive one and decide for yourself if it fits your driving style better.

One thing I forgot to mention - if you value fuel economy, you should be aware that GLK still has a somewhat outdated, non-turbo, non-DI V6 engine and its fuel consumption is somewhat high.

Last edited by AlexK; 11-27-2010 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

You're right. Quality is good, just my very subjective opinion as to the styling.
The whole car is not so bad looking at all. I just have a thing with the way the brand is positioned and I 'm turned off by it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Cant comment on the Merc as ive never seen it in the flesh but was impressed with the X3 interior (matched my E60 5 for materials and better finish)

The Q5 is a good looking SUV and probably get my nod over the X3 but the X3 wins overall.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Bimmer Leb
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashinhead View Post
So I'm moving to LA in a month and I'm forced to buy a car. I am considering a compact SUV because I plan to bike, surf, go skiing, carry a dog etc. So I was initially considering a GLK because I like the exterior styling of it. But in my search for info, It has bad reviews on driving and I find the interior pretty bland. The x3 and the q5 have much nicer interiors but the q5 exterior is like a bubble. The 3.5 x3 seems to have the quickest engine and a great interior

Can anyone with experience expound on the x3 vs the glk
Mercedes don't get SUV designs. They're good at designing cars but in terms of SUVs they better leave it to BMW or Audi
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
Bimmer Leb
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Mercedes don't get SUV designs. They're good at designing cars but in terms of SUVs they better leave it to BMW or Audi[/QUOTE]

I would definitely go with 2011 X3
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

There are many more + for the X3: the N55 engine, paired with the 8 speed sport auto, the general look and the great quality upgrade fom the last generation!
GLK is at the first try to Mercedes and they have to improve it a lot to stay next to the new X3
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
GLK is just ugly
Q5 is definitely the nicest looking vehicle
X3 is the best in terms of handling and driving
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
GLK is at the first try to Mercedes and they have to improve it a lot to stay next to the new X3
I'd say there's not much to improve - all they need is a more efficient engine (Diesel version should be available for USA-specific 2012 model) and a better navigation system (with larger screen size). Other than these things, it is good as it is - the "driving feel" is pretty Mercedes-like, the build quality is pretty good (I visit several MB forums, there are much, MUCH less quality complaints for it compared to any other MB model), the AWD system is also pretty good (it is not a "performance"-oriented, but it's good enough for any bad weather condition). As for "looks", or visual design - it's a pretty subjective thing. I personally really like its exterior's and interior's uniquely (well, unless you're comparing it with G-class) angular, "masculine" shapes and I really like how Mercedes went with more "classic" headlight design, unlike the horrible mishaped mess on their new E-series or the Audi's way-overdone "christmas lights" (integrated LED strips)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport

We looked at the GLK and loved the exterior. We didn't like the interior and the drive was, well, typically Mercedes. This is great if this is what you are looking for and we owned MB cars for 10 years.

We ended up buying a CPO 2007 X3 as we really want a diesel X3 and are willing to wait. I love the first gen styling of the X3 and the driving dynamics are far about the GLK if you are looking for something on the sporty side of the spectrum.
      11-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep

Forgot to mention few details: GLK does come with a real spare tire (it's "deflated" and comes with a (free) little electric air compressor) and on latest models with Mbrace option you can use an iPhone-based app to do stuff like locate the parked car (for safety reasons you can only do that within 1-mile radius from your car) or close/open doors, directly from your iPhone (a free app available at iTunes USA store), and the navigation map updates are user-installable (you can buy disks with maps yourself, map data provided by Navteq). Also, GLK's stock suspension is somewhat self-adjustable depending on your driving behavior (it's a fully mechanical system, MB calls it "Agility Control").

Last edited by AlexK; 11-29-2010 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #13
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I also like the look of The GLK. It has very clean, classic, chiseled look- very functional. The Audi looks as it has the most to prove. In my opinion, the Q5 is the X3's only competition, but I probably won't go for it, BMW Loyalty aside, because it looks as if it is trying too hard. Bulbous, over-designed lines, flashy lights, and hip- hop styling belie its performance.