BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

BMS Powerbox = fun times

I had the BMS Powerbox installed today courtesy of Mike@N54tuning (thanks Mike!) and I have to say I am very pleased with the results.

The initial throttle lag from a stand still is now gone. I am currently running to Map 3 (100% throttle sensitivity) and driving the car from a stop is more like "Tap and GO!" as opposed to "Depress gas pedal, wait 1.5 seconds...now go" You will also notice the difference immediately when accelerating out of a bend or passing, especially in the lower gears.

D mode is actually usable now. The throttle is no longer stiff and heavy and I find it adequate for DD. DS mode is even more aggressive (feels like a "DS2") and "Manual Mode" + the PBX is just right imo. Although I have regretted many times that I should have gotten a manual, driving the auto is all right now.

In conclusion, I find the PBX to be an excellent mod for ~$300 and well worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
bmwmike335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4

did u notice any difference in engine sounds?
2013 535i (RIP), 2014 535i (RIP)
2013 e92 M3 interlagos blue
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post
I had the BMS Powerbox installed today courtesy of Mike@N54tuning (thanks Mike!) and I have to say I am very pleased with the results.

The initial throttle lag from a stand still is now gone. I am currently running to Map 3 (100% throttle sensitivity) and driving the car from a stop is more like "Tap and GO!" as opposed to "Depress gas pedal, wait 1.5 seconds...now go" You will also notice the difference immediately when accelerating out of a bend or passing, especially in the lower gears.

D mode is actually usable now. The throttle is no longer stiff and heavy and I find it adequate for DD. DS mode is even more aggressive (feels like a "DS2") and "Manual Mode" + the PBX is just right imo. Although I have regretted many times that I should have gotten a manual, driving the auto is all right now.

In conclusion, I find the PBX to be an excellent mod for ~$300 and well worth the money.
Thats great to hear... i have the same car as you and have been hesitating doing this...pending more reviews..

may i ask, on map 3 in traffic do you find it too "jerky" as in the throttle is now too sensitive? ( i am aware that you can lower the sensitivity)

what does the "butt dyno" tell you ???

Thanks
      11-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike335 View Post
did u notice any difference in engine sounds?
Hm, not really tbh. Except it's more eager to rev during the first-third gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Thats great to hear... i have the same car as you and have been hesitating doing this...pending more reviews..

may i ask, on map 3 in traffic do you find it too "jerky" as in the throttle is now too sensitive? ( i am aware that you can lower the sensitivity)

what does the "butt dyno" tell you ???

Thanks
1. I don't find it jerky at all. I've only been using Map 3 so far.

2. I haven't dyno'ed it yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
I<3BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Keep us posted on how it's going. Does Mike@n54 have any hp increase #'s?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 12:19 AM   #6
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3BMW View Post
Keep us posted on how it's going. Does Mike@n54 have any hp increase #'s?
Thanks
It's a claimed increase of 10hp but dynos seem to say otherwise. You get it for the throttle response rather than anything else.

I'm considering one for my mum's X3 which just came out of warranty

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
I<3BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
It's a claimed increase of 10hp but dynos seem to say otherwise. You get it for the throttle response rather than anything else.

I'm considering one for my mum's X3 which just came out of warranty
Thanks for the info. I just found a long thread saying the same thing- 10hp.
I want to get my 128 to 280 whp
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3BMW View Post
Thanks for the info. I just found a long thread saying the same thing- 10hp.
I want to get my 128 to 280 whp
You'll need some sort of forced induction to achieve that BMS Pbx won't be helping much in the whp department.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine View Post

Thanks for the review

Mike
Appreciate 0