BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
kioko12
king kong in the trunk...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Cabriolet

Summit Point vs. VIR

Anyone ever try these tracks? What are the main differences? Which one do you prefer?
      11-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
You can get a ton of info at these links and at Youtube.

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/
http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Summit Point has three tracks from 1.1 to 2.2 miles long. VIR is 3.3 miles, with longer and faster straights. If you watch some videos at Youtube, you will get the idea.

The Summit Point tracks are generally considered a little slippery, the run off areas are small, and you often see rabbits, ground hogs or even deer running across the track. According to Lockton Affinity (HPDE insurance vendor), "Events held at Watkins Glen, Summit Point, and New Jersey Motorsports Park will all receive a surcharge/higher rate due to the higher than normal incident ratio we have experienced at these tracks. Events held at Virginia Int’l Raceway will receive a discount due to the lower incident ratio we have experienced there."

Anyway, now that I've made Summit Point sound dangerous, that is where I track, because VIR is much farther away. Just don't do anything stupid and you will be okay.

edit: I just noticed your car is a vert, which is rarely allowed for HPDE. You will probably have to stick to autocross events.
Appreciate 0