E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intercooler piping connection question with ETS FMIC - does this look correct?

11-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Intercooler piping connection question with ETS FMIC - does this look correct?

I was installing something else under the hood the other day and noticed this on the passenger side where the ETS intercooler silicone coupler meets the OEM piping:

Name:  IMG_1713.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  213.8 KB

As you can see there's a lip on the OEM pipe that's exposed and it seems like that lip should be underneath the coupler for a tight fit. When I installed the intercooler I'm pretty sure I got the coupler well over the OEM pipe and it was secure. I'm wondering did my coupler slip off or are the maybe two lips on the OEM pipe (or maybe one and it's just further from the end of the pipe)? If anyone can remember it'd be appreciated before I have to remove the intercooler to check.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
hmm, I don't have the ETS IC but I would think the coupler should slide over that lip to ensure the most secure fit. Maybe someone who has installed will be able to chime in.

bump for ya.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Now you see why an accordion hose is needed instead of a straight hose ? The engine shakes a lot during RPM changes and the intercooler is fixed on the car. The aftermarket IC manufacturers should at least make an accordion hose an option.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I'm not sure that it's not connected securely, that's why I'm asking. If the OEM pipe has a lip like the top drawing here it's a problem because it's barely attached. If it's like either of the bottom two it's fine. I just don't recall. If someone else with an ETS FMIC could check their upper passenger side that would be much appreciated.

Name:  piping.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  23.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

You don't want the factory accordion hose, trust me. Not only is it a restriction, the bellows cause turbulence thats not needed.

How far is it installed on the intercooler? If installed too far it would be short on top. Another option is the coupler might have been cut short, we have never had this happen, but it could be a possibility.

Let's check the following.

1.) How far the silicone is installed on the intercooler.

2.) Length of the silicone hose

Once I have this information we can get it resolved. If the silicone is short, I will send you a new longer hose. If the silicone is to far on the intercooler.. that's an easy fix as well.

Thanks,

Michael
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
You don't want the factory accordion hose, trust me. Not only is it a restriction, the bellows cause turbulence thats not needed.

How far is it installed on the intercooler? If installed too far it would be short on top. Another option is the coupler might have been cut short, we have never had this happen, but it could be a possibility.

Let's check the following.

1.) How far the silicone is installed on the intercooler.

2.) Length of the silicone hose

Once I have this information we can get it resolved. If the silicone is short, I will send you a new longer hose. If the silicone is to far on the intercooler.. that's an easy fix as well.

Thanks,

Michael
The length of the hose looked fine from what I recall based on the pics of the kit. As for how far onto the intercooler it is, I'm not sure because I actually attached the silicone couplers to the OEM piping first, then put the intercooler in place and connected it second. So what would be most helpful is a comparison pic of this connection on another 335 with ETS FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep

It should go over the lip. But it depends how far it's installed on the intercooler if the coupler is short or just pushed to far on the intercooler.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep

This should help out. Just make sure your over the first lip and your good.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep

I found another interesting picture that shows one of the main restrictions in the intercooler system.

* This is the OEM pipe on the driver side.

* This is the ETS pipe on the driver side. (No More Restriction)

Thanks!

Michael
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
This should help out. Just make sure your over the first lip and your good.
Perfect, thanks. That's exactly what I needed to confirm.
Appreciate 0