E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Does your UUC SSK feel sloppy and loose?

11-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
blaze739
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 2008 335i - AW/CR

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.34]
Does your UUC SSK feel sloppy and loose?

I installed the UUC EVO3 SSK myself this weekend and i'm really disappointed. i've heard great things about the kit so i'm afraid something went wrong with the install. does anybody else feel like the ssk is much more sloppy and less precise?

here are the issues i'm noticing:

- the shifter has rotational play now that it never had. i can actually rotate the shifter clockwise and CCW maybe 10 degrees each way
- if i pull the shifter up or down, the whole assembly will slowly lift or drop. this is not the height adjustable part that is moving. the whole shifter moves up and down which i guess could be a function of the spring but it stays at whatever height i leave it.
- whenever i shift backwards (gears 2, 4, and 6) quickly, i hear a loud snap noise like something plastic is hitting something metal. doesn't happen if i shift slowly though.
- the throw distance feels like it might be SLIGHTLY shorter, but the height of the shifter feels the same or even taller.

Overall, the skk just doesnt feel crisp or precise. it feels like i am never sure if the gear is actually engaged since there is so much play in every direction. has anyone experienced this or have an idea of what it could be? should the height of the shifter be noticeably shorter than the stock shifter, and should the throws be noticeably shorter? it feels pretty much the same as the stock shifter to me. any advice or feedback is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
I just have in-gear play caused by a defective DSSR.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Mine doesn't feel like that at all. Are you sure you installed correctly? Is it just the SSK or did you install a DSSR as well? It sounds like you don't have it clipped in at the selector rod linkage correctly. I clipped mine in wrong the first time and redid it as soon as I felt the shifter because I knew something was wrong.
      11-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
^^ that's what it sounds like, make sure that piece is clipped in. Most of those ssk's require a good amount of force to make it snap in.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze739 View Post
I installed the UUC EVO3 SSK myself this weekend and i'm really disappointed. i've heard great things about the kit so i'm afraid something went wrong with the install. does anybody else feel like the ssk is much more sloppy and less precise?

here are the issues i'm noticing:

- the shifter has rotational play now that it never had. i can actually rotate the shifter clockwise and CCW maybe 10 degrees each way
- if i pull the shifter up or down, the whole assembly will slowly lift or drop. this is not the height adjustable part that is moving. the whole shifter moves up and down which i guess could be a function of the spring but it stays at whatever height i leave it.
- whenever i shift backwards (gears 2, 4, and 6) quickly, i hear a loud snap noise like something plastic is hitting something metal. doesn't happen if i shift slowly though.
- the throw distance feels like it might be SLIGHTLY shorter, but the height of the shifter feels the same or even taller.

Overall, the skk just doesnt feel crisp or precise. it feels like i am never sure if the gear is actually engaged since there is so much play in every direction. has anyone experienced this or have an idea of what it could be? should the height of the shifter be noticeably shorter than the stock shifter, and should the throws be noticeably shorter? it feels pretty much the same as the stock shifter to me. any advice or feedback is appreciated.
Did you correctly install the circlip that holds the shift pivot ball in place?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
blaze739
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherbln View Post
Mine doesn't feel like that at all. Are you sure you installed correctly? Is it just the SSK or did you install a DSSR as well? It sounds like you don't have it clipped in at the selector rod linkage correctly. I clipped mine in wrong the first time and redid it as soon as I felt the shifter because I knew something was wrong.
i forgot to mention i dont have the DSSR.

I feel like the clip wasnt installed correctly either but i cant see how i could clip it differently. right now the clip is able to spin around with almost no resistance which im guessing cant be right. i have the selector rod going through grommet #1, shifter lower pivot, grommet #2, yellow washer, and then the clip. is there a groove the clip is supposed to sit in? or do you just need to push everything tightly together and then place the clip as close to the washer as possible?

Last edited by blaze739; 11-02-2010 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
blaze739
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Did you correctly install the circlip that holds the shift pivot ball in place?
is that the metallic cylindrical cup the ball sits in, or the small clip that holds everything on the selector rod? im pretty sure the cup is correctly in place because it feels like its solidly in place. it wouldnt move at all by hand. when i pull up on the shifter, that cup stays in place, but i see the ball of the shifter actually lifting slightly out of the cup.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
is that the metallic cylindrical cup the ball sits in, or the small clip that holds everything on the selector rod? im pretty sure the cup is correctly in place because it feels like its solidly in place. it wouldnt move at all by hand. when i pull up on the shifter, that cup stays in place, but i see the ball of the shifter actually lifting slightly out of the cup.
That ball should not be lifting up if the circlip is correctly installed. Check out my review and you will see the item. I suspect that is not installed correctly. It is the "U" shaped metal clip that locks the ball into the cup.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
blaze739
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.34]
Quote:
That ball should not be lifting up if the circlip is correctly installed. Check out my review and you will see the item. I suspect that is not installed correctly. It is the "U" shaped metal clip that locks the ball into the cup.
oh you're talking about the snap ring that sits above the spring. its also possible that it wasnt installed correctly because i accidently bought external snap ring pliers instead of internal snap ring pliers. so it was alittle tough to get it in there but i'm pretty sure that it snapped into the groove. i am going to open it up this weekend and take a better look though.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
blaze739
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.34]
I took a look at the c-clip/snap ring tonight because I didn't feel like waiting for the weekend. The ring was tightly in place and I reinstalled it to make sure. I don't think the problem is anything in the shifter cup because even when I removed the snap ring, I had the same amount of slop. When I put the car in gear and move the shifter left and right, the selector rod actually moves with it. Does this mean that the selector rod is causing the problem? I literally get at least an inch of lateral movement when the shifter is in gear. I'll upload some pictures and video tomorrow.

Btw, I was able to fix the rotational slop by tightening the height adjusting nut.

Guess I'm not the only one. I have the same amount of slop as the guy in this video. Anyone else have this much?

Last edited by blaze739; 11-02-2010 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Added video link
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
fisherbln
Captain
Rep

My guess is that your issue is in Step 30/31 in the link below:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=uuc+ssk
      11-03-2010, 05:07 AM   #12
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I took a look at the c-clip/snap ring tonight because I didn't feel like waiting for the weekend. The ring was tightly in place and I reinstalled it to make sure. I don't think the problem is anything in the shifter cup because even when I removed the snap ring, I had the same amount of slop. When I put the car in gear and move the shifter left and right, the selector rod actually moves with it. Does this mean that the selector rod is causing the problem? I literally get at least an inch of lateral movement when the shifter is in gear. I'll upload some pictures and video tomorrow.

Btw, I was able to fix the rotational slop by tightening the height adjusting nut.

Guess I'm not the only one. I have the same amount of slop as the guy in this video. Anyone else have this much?
Up/down slop is not the selector rod, but if you have lateral movement then it definitely is the lateral rod. I upgraded both together and I have a very, very tight shifter setup now.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
fisherbln
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Up/down slop is not the selector rod, but if you have lateral movement then it definitely is the lateral rod. I upgraded both together and I have a very, very tight shifter setup now.
Just to be clear though, it is not necessary to upgrade the selector rod to have a tight shifter. I have the SSK only and also have a very tight shifter. I'm sure FBIS's is better though.
      11-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #14
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherbln View Post
Just to be clear though, it is not necessary to upgrade the selector rod to have a tight shifter. I have the SSK only and also have a very tight shifter. I'm sure FBIS's is better though.
I agree with that too. The stock shift rod seems to get worse over time in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #15
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I agree with that too. The stock shift rod seems to get worse over time in my experience.
My stock selector rod was so much better than the UUC DSSR I have now in terms of lateral in-gear play. Rob at UUC sent me some shims to help fix their defective DSSR but even after using THREE of them, I still have more slop than the stock set-up. I will be going to UUC one of these days to have them check it out in person.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
fisherbln
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
My stock selector rod was so much better than the UUC DSSR I have now in terms of lateral in-gear play. Rob at UUC sent me some shims to help fix their defective DSSR but even after using THREE of them, I still have more slop than the stock set-up. I will be going to UUC one of these days to have them check it out in person.
At least you're lucky enough to live near them.
      11-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
blaze739
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.34]
the up/down slop seems alot better now. now it moves no more than 1/8" which Rob at UUC said is normal. Maybe it was just a glob of grease holding it up. i'm going to go under the car this weekend to take a look at the selector rod but i have a feeling its an OEM part causing the problem. I've always had some in gear slop but the SSK seems to intensify it. i'll keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #18
blaze739
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.34]
i took a look under the car and i think the problem is just a tolerance stack up. with everything in place, the selector rod still slides back and forth slightly. that little movement then gets magnified through the length of the shifter. i am going to call uuc tomorrow and see if i can get an extra washer. i included a picture to show the space i have from the washer to the groove without the clip installed.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #19
fisherbln
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i took a look under the car and i think the problem is just a tolerance stack up. with everything in place, the selector rod still slides back and forth slightly. that little movement then gets magnified through the length of the shifter. i am going to call uuc tomorrow and see if i can get an extra washer. i included a picture to show the space i have from the washer to the groove without the clip installed.
There must be slight differences between these (not sure if it is on the OEM side or the UUC shifter) because mine was so tight there I couldn't even fit the washer.