E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Quick! Need a DP install answer

10-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Quick! Need a DP install answer

OMG. Never again...

I'm installing downpipes and made the mistake of not marking the O2 sensors before removing stock pipes. Now, I'm installing the new DP and am concerned that I'm mixing up the O2 sensors.

According to one of the forum DIY's, you do not need to mark them before removal. They state that the shorter-rear downpipe uses the GREY O2 sensor and that the longer-front downpipe uses the BLACK O2 sensor.

However, based on the lengths of the rear O2 sensors, I believe it's the exact opposite.

So, there's the problem. Does anything go wrong if I place the BLACK O2 sensor on the short-rear dp? Does it even matter? I have a hunch that if I use rear BLACK O2 on the short-rear dp, I'll need to use the front BLACK O2 on the the same rear dp. Is this correct?

I would hate to put it all back together again only to have a problem. This has taken long enough as is and don't want to do it again!

Please help!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
uh oh, Mr. running into another problem now..... hope the car is up and running by tonite
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

http://www.billswebspace.com/bmw335.htm
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Scroll down on that link for dp install and print out the pdf
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

That's the DIY I used. However, I believe my O2 sensors are color coded the opposite. Is that possible?

What does the 2 sensors do for each cat? I assume it measures the air before and after the cat to determine its effectiveness. So, if it reads poor, does it affect engine performance at all? I'm going to use a BMS dp fix AND a Procede. Therefore, I'm not worried about the CEL. I just don't want any performance or engine problems.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
That's the DIY I used. However, I believe my O2 sensors are color coded the opposite. Is that possible?

What does the 2 sensors do for each cat? I assume it measures the air before and after the cat to determine its effectiveness. So, if it reads poor, does it affect engine performance at all? I'm going to use a BMS dp fix AND a Procede. Therefore, I'm not worried about the CEL. I just don't want any performance or engine problems.

Thoughts?
They cannot be mixed up or you will throw cels and car will not run right...just follow which o2 leads to which dp...one is longer than the other...Thats the diy that i used and I found no problems with reinstalling the 02 sensors...Just take it easy, take a deep breath and go back at it and look at the DIY, it clearly tells you which 02 goes to which pipe and once you find the right colored 02 sensor, the top and bottom 02 sensors have to be the SAME color on each pipe
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
They cannot be mixed up or you will throw cels and car will not run right...just follow which o2 leads to which dp...one is longer than the other...Thats the diy that i used and I found no problems with reinstalling the 02 sensors...Just take it easy, take a deep breath and go back at it and look at the DIY, it clearly tells you which 02 goes to which pipe and once you find the right colored 02 sensor, the top and bottom 02 sensors have to be the SAME color on each pipe
Already working on that breather! Left to dinner. I'll attack it again when I return.

That DIY was well written which is why I didn't think to mark the sensors. However, I'm almost positive the colors are opposite. Either way, I will use your advise of using the same color front and rear sensor on the same dp.

Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Black is front.

Look to see is the harness is cliped on the rail or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
keep us updated Dan, if everything runs fine (finger crossed), you should take it out for some driving =)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 12:44 AM   #10
JonLerd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i coupe

if your running catless then it doesnt matter. If your catted then it matters.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 03:48 AM   #11
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

You don't need the DP fix with the Procede, it has that built-in. I don't know if both would work at the same time. Let me know if you decide to sell the DP fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #12
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

Dang, I hope you got it sorted out. i hate when I take something apart and miss how it was originally. I followed a diy here when I did mine so look em up and youll find it ... If you didnt already.. Gl bro
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Thanks for all the support. When you spend much longer with an install, it is never good. For those that have installed their own downpipes, you know how 'fun' it is laying on your back, arms sore, hands cramped and debris occasionally falling in your mouth. To top it off, I did this with a horrible cough.

Everyone was right about the colored O2 sensors. I WAS WRONG. I blame my flawed thinking on frustration.

But that's not all folks!

There were two additional issues with these Raceland downpipes. The first problem was the metal flange that connects to the turbo. As seen in the picture, it was not perfectly round. I fumbled with this damn pipe for an extra hour 'til I decided to take it down and inspect if for defects. Once I noticed it, I carefully rounded it out with a ball-peen hammer.

The other issue was one of the O2 bungs was not cut out correctly. You can see the good bung and the bad bung. It's wasn't that actual bung but the pipe inside. I used a dremel and several bits to eventually widen & round the opening. Again, this was another issue I didn't find until later causing additional time and unnecessary frustration.

I know this is the where everyone jumps in and says, "See, that's what you get with cheap downpipes." Maybe your right. Maybe this is an isolated case. Either way, I strongly suggest you inspect your downpipes PRIOR to installation. The additional frustrations with the install nearly made me give up. I was so close to quitting & sending a PM to Dr.phuOnger. Instead, I took a much needed break, had dinner and returned 2 hours later.

I finally finished late at night. What a fun-filled experience! I hope this is the last frustrating DIY I encounter. I figure after this and my suspension, most everything else will be easier... well at least easier in that you don't need to tweak your body in awkward positions forever.

I will copy this post to the Raceland downpipe thread so others do not experience my frustrations. I do not suggest Raceland downpipes are bad. I don't think I'd go that far. My learning is that I should always inspect the product (Raceland or other) PRIOR to installation. I suggest you do the same.

Pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
You don't need the DP fix with the Procede, it has that built-in. I don't know if both would work at the same time. Let me know if you decide to sell the DP fix.
Nah, I'll use to the DP fix for service visits when the Procede will be removed yet the downpipes will remain making the dp fix necessary.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Glad to hear you worked it all out. I'm just getting too old for this level mod these days - I can empathize with your pain and frustration, but I can also appreciate how good it feels when you finally conquer it. Great job working out the defects on the pipes - again more work but also increased satisfaction, I'm sure. All that said, what's your sentiment right now - will you take this on again or farm it out next time? :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #16
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Glad to hear you worked it all out. I'm just getting too old for this level mod these days - I can empathize with your pain and frustration, but I can also appreciate how good it feels when you finally conquer it. Great job working out the defects on the pipes - again more work but also increased satisfaction, I'm sure. All that said, what's your sentiment right now - will you take this on again or farm it out next time? :-)
Good question.

I perform DIY's for two reasons... a) Save money & b) Personal satisfaction.
Yesterday, I spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME on this install. We all know the equation that time=money. In that sense, I didn't save a dime. Also, although I eventually succeeded, I didn't find the experience satisfying.

That said, I WILL install my own IC and I WILL install most every other mod myself. However, if these downpipes were to come back out, I'd probably pay someone to do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
Good question.

I perform DIY's for two reasons... a) Save money & b) Personal satisfaction.
Yesterday, I spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME on this install. We all know the equation that time=money. In that sense, I didn't save a dime. Also, although I eventually succeeded, I didn't find the experience satisfying.

That said, I WILL install my own IC and I WILL install most every other mod myself. However, if these downpipes were to come back out, I'd probably pay someone to do it.
Wow your install was epic! I definitely feel your pain and frustrations for sure...At the end of the day once it done it feels gratifying but with all the aches and pains, coupled with torn up hands and fingers along with road rash on your back and ass from sliding in and out about 100 times, it was not worth saving the 250...I will never do a DP install on a N54 ever agaIN
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Oh, I almost forgot. There was a silver lining to this whole ordeal. I found my boost leak! It was the connection to the IC. That'll make a huge difference at Infineon next week. If I had someone else perform the install for me, I would have never known.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #19
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

So everything running fine now? What IC are you getting? Some don't require cutting.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
So everything running fine now? What IC are you getting? Some don't require cutting.
All works well now. Playing with maps 1&2. Unsure which procede map should be used with just bci and dp's.

I just noticed your signature. Maybe I should've had you do the install!

And to answer your question, probably ETS. Simple and no cutting.

Last edited by dbjb; 10-30-2010 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #21
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Is this the latest batch of DPs from Raceland?

If so, I would tell them your complaints and issues..I know these are cheap pipes, but there is no excuse for such poor QC, even at that price.
      10-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #22
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
Is this the latest batch of DPs from Raceland?

If so, I would tell them your complaints and issues..I know these are cheap pipes, but there is no excuse for such poor QC, even at that price.
Very latest. And yes, I sent them an email. I'd suggest new buyers to check for issues before starting their install.
Appreciate 0